Help Needed: AR 15 mods

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • myles

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was gifted a Ruger 556 AR-15 over the summer in 2017. For the money, it's a good shooter but obviously its entry level in the AR market. I haven't made any modifications to the rifle other than swapping the hand guard to something more comfortable for me.

I've considered doing a trigger job, adding a red dot sight, and a few other modifications. I am looking at any where $500-1000 for these potential modifications.

To what extent would you modify an entry level AR15?
    Any suggestions/feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was gifted a Ruger 556 AR-15 over the summer in 2017. For the money, it's a good shooter but obviously its entry level in the AR market. I haven't made any modifications to the rifle other than swapping the hand guard to something more comfortable for me.

I've considered doing a trigger job, adding a red dot sight, and a few other modifications. I am looking at any where $500-1000 for these potential modifications.

Ask ten people this question and you'll get ten different answers. :-) Here's my $0.02.

I think about my guns in terms of resale value. This is one of the better quality entry level AR platform rifles, and you'll probably do better on resale to simply keep it stock than you will to pimp it out. If you're ultimately going to have ~$1,500 invested in a gun, why not sell the Ruger and invest all of that money into a higher end platform? I'm a big fan of Barnes Precision (one of the few companies that makes their entire AR platform in-house), but there are a lot of companies doing excellent work at this price point.

I know a lot of people love to tinker with their AR's, and that's great ... whatever turns your crank. If it's a gun you plan to keep, and if you don't care about resale value, then have at it. But just know that if you decide to part with the gun, you may find it harder to find a potential buyer that will pay you for the aftermarket parts investment.

(This is a timely post for me, since I'm thinking about adding another AR platform to my collection. I'm particularly interested in the Ruger 556 and the Smith & Wesson M&P15, and the only guns I'll touch will be bone-stock. That's just how I like 'em.)

And just to be clear: this isn't meant to **** on other peoples' preferences. It's your gun and whatever you decide to do with it is cool. I'm just offering some thoughts from the perspective of a potential buyer.

Mike

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The two you suggested are excellent upgrades. Trigger jobs are any where from $50 on your existing parts, or a replacement drop in trigger. I have a Velocity 3 lb drop in in one of my rifles and for the money, they are fantastic ($135). Clean and breaks like a glass rod. The Velocity is not really suitable for a combat weapon, more match or target weapon. Link below:

https://www.silencerhq.com/Velocity-AR15-3LB-Curved-Trigger-p/vt-3lb-curve.htm

There are also replacement 2 stage triggers you can purchase, which you end up with a cleaner trigger pull (less gritty and reduced creep) but still combat serviceable.

ALG offers a really nice drop in combat trigger for the money ($69) nickel boron coated https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

Nothing I purchased from ALG has disappointed me. They manufacture some quality full float hand guards too.

Red dot sights make it easier for any shooter. They make older or imperfect eyes like new again. Again you can spend anywhere from $80 to $700. Primary Arms has their own line, really nice for the money. Holosun is producing some great red dots, relatively new to the market (couple years maybe) I have both a Primary Arms and a Holosun unit. Vortex Optics makes some nice units for the prices, with lifetime warranties. The sky is the limit on red dots.

http://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+Red-Dot-Sights

A nice shooting rest helps too for distance shooting/range work. Or at least a nice heavy sandbag rest, thats what i use at the range. Again you can spend as much or as little as you want.

A nice red dot and some trigger work will do wonders for your accuracy.

And quality ammo helps too. Not all 5.56 ammo is created equal. Hope this helps you out. Shop around and read reviews on line, google can be ur best friend.

Last edited:

myles

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ask ten people this question and you'll get ten different answers. :-) Here's my $0.02.

I think about my guns in terms of resale value. This is one of the better quality entry level AR platform rifles, and you'll probably do better on resale to simply keep it stock than you will to pimp it out. If you're ultimately going to have ~$1,500 invested in a gun, why not sell the Ruger and invest all of that money into a higher end platform? I'm a big fan of Barnes Precision (one of the few companies that makes their entire AR platform in-house), but there are a lot of companies doing excellent work at this price point.

I know a lot of people love to tinker with their AR's, and that's great ... whatever turns your crank. If it's a gun you plan to keep, and if you don't care about resale value, then have at it. But just know that if you decide to part with the gun, you may find it harder to find a potential buyer that will pay you for the aftermarket parts investment.

(This is a timely post for me, since I'm thinking about adding another AR platform to my collection. I'm particularly interested in the Ruger 556 and the Smith & Wesson M&P15, and the only guns I'll touch will be bone-stock. That's just how I like 'em.)

And just to be clear: this isn't meant to **** on other peoples' preferences. It's your gun and whatever you decide to do with it is cool. I'm just offering some thoughts from the perspective of a potential buyer.

Mike

Mike

Exactly. Well I can speak from putting 1000+ rds through my Ruger 556, for an entry level AR15 it can compete with any of them. It just doesnt make a ton of sense for me to sink in double the cost in mods (but then again, something like a new trigger and red dot could be interchangeable with a different platform)
    All great points though, I appreciate your comments.

myles

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The two you suggested are excellent upgrades. Trigger jobs are any where from $50 on your existing parts, or a replacement drop in trigger. I have a Velocity 3 lb drop in in one of my rifles and for the money, they are fantastic ($135). Clean and breaks like a glass rod. The Velocity is not really suitable for a combat weapon, more match or target weapon. Link below:

https://www.silencerhq.com/Velocity-AR15-3LB-Curved-Trigger-p/vt-3lb-curve.htm

There are also replacement 2 stage triggers you can purchase, which you end up with a cleaner trigger pull (less gritty and reduced creep) but still combat serviceable.

ALG offers a really nice drop in combat trigger for the money ($69) nickel boron coated https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

Nothing I purchased from ALG has disappointed me. They manufacture some quality full float hand guards too.

Red dot sights make it easier for any shooter. They make older or imperfect eyes like new again. Again you can spend anywhere from $80 to $700. Primary Arms has their own line, really nice for the money. Holosun is producing some great red dots, relatively new to the market (couple years maybe) I have both a Primary Arms and a Holosun unit. Vortex Optics makes some nice units for the prices, with lifetime warranties. The sky is the limit on red dots.

http://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+Red-Dot-Sights

A nice shooting rest helps too for distance shooting/range work. Or at least a nice heavy sandbag rest, thats what i use at the range. Again you can spend as much or as little as you want.

A nice red dot and some trigger work will do wonders for your accuracy.

And quality ammo helps too. Not all 5.56 ammo is created equal. Hope this helps you out. Shop around and read reviews on line, google can be ur best friend.

Which Holosun model # do you have? I have seen a variety while browsing through different sites.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    The first thing I do to an AR is pull the mil spec trigger and install a Geisel 2 stage trigger. About the best upgrade you can make on an AR15. Good optics and flash surpressor are next. I like the Smith Industries Vortex flash surpressor. Optics are a personal preference and should reflect how you plan on the sing the gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Which Holosun model # do you have? I have seen a variety while browsing through different sites.

This one: http://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-paralow-hs403a-red-dot-sight-2-moa-hs403a

I picked up a remanufactured Primary Arms red dot off ebay for $80 delivered. Have it on a ruger mark 4 .22 tactical pistol. For the money, it was a super deal. For an AR15, make sure you get a tall riser, no matter which red dot you buy. Makes it so much easier to aquire the sight/target.

See you could get an ALG drop in trigger for $69, and a nice red dot, for not much investment. Plus they can be removed/sold or go forward to a new or different weapon. The red dot makes a huge difference @100 yards. I was shooting 6" groups (10 rounds) with my Ruger .22LR pistol @100 yards, with the PA red dot, off sand bag. At Nick's Range. I can drill a paper plate all day long @100 yards with the Ruger 22 pistol. Stock trigger.

Geissele triggers are way overpriced imo. You can do the same for less money, easy.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Check out the Sig Romeo5. It's the same as the Holosun with different branding. It's a good entry level red dot that you may not have to upgrade from. And you can usually find it a little cheaper than the Holosun. I've seen it as low as $120.

Romeo5 on Gun Deals
    Romeo5 at Brownells

myles

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah the 2 stage Geissele triggers are running $200+. I'm gunna give the ALG drop in trigger a shot. Ideally I didn't want to sell the Ruger 556. For an occasional range toy and a home defense firearm it does what I need it to do.

Thanks John

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah the 2 stage Geissele triggers are running $200+. I'm gunna give the ALG drop in trigger a shot. Ideally I didn't want to sell the Ruger 556. For an occasional range toy and a home defense firearm it does what I need it to do.

Thanks John

I've heard really good things about the ALG Triggers although I have no direct experience with them. I do have a couple of CMC 4.5 lb flat duty drop in triggers that I grab when they drop to a ridiculously low price. They're no Geissele but they are a big step up from mil-spec. I would suggest getting a box or something to store all the stock parts you change out. When you get to the point you're ready to upgrade your rifle or build your own, return the rifle to stock and you'll have all the upgraded parts to use in the upgraded rifle.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA

Thanks John

I’ve never paid more than $165 for a Geisel but I can definitely understand having a budget to work with. I’ve shot many aftermarket triggers and have enjoyed many of them but I always go back to the Geisel 2 stage when the time comes. Good luck on your project, will be fun (but not for the bank account). Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I've heard really good things about the ALG Triggers although I have no direct experience with them. I do have a couple of CMC 4.5 lb flat duty drop in triggers that I grab when they drop to a ridiculously low price. They're no Geissele but they are a big step up from mil-spec. I would suggest getting a box or something to store all the stock parts you change out. When you get to the point you're ready to upgrade your rifle or build your own, return the rifle to stock and you'll have all the upgraded parts to use in the upgraded rifle.

I have the ALG ACT
    https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html
    I would no do much other than a small scope and drop in trigger. That way later it can be put back stock easy. If you sell it, to use the $ to get a high end rifle

jcm055

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ruston LA
    I'm in a similar boat myles. The first thing I picked up was a red dot, the Vortex Sparc AR. Its 2 MOA dot was smaller than most others I looked at (3-4 MOA), and it's quite compact. I quickly realized I needed magnification of I was going to be shooting at 100+yds so I bought a 3x flip-to-side magnifier. Its great for plinking at the range, but if you think you want to get into any competition get a 1-4 or 1-6 scope; a lot of them require only one optic. There are several great options out there in the $200-300 range from people like Bushnell, Primary Arms (i really like their ACSS reticle) and Vortex.

A trigger is probably a good investment as well, I know it's on my shortlist.

If you like a foregrip they can be had cheap as well, I added one and am pleased with it.

EDIT: I would add if you're out shooting targets then get some decent ammo. I know each guns different but mine really likes Norma Tac 223 and it's fairly cheap online.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA

This, anything you add can be removed and used on your next rifle. I have a Colt 6940, I added an Geissele SSA. Aim Point Pro red dot and Vickers sling. All of which can be had for under $1000 and moved to another rifle. Now I an kind of sorry I didn't go with the 6920 because of the integral quad rail hand guard that I can't change out for a longer one. I have been looking at the Colt Enhanced Patrol rifle and if I buy one all the extras on the 6940 would go on the new rifle.

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Personally,On a factory built Ar15 I'll just slap a red dot on it and call it a day..
    But if you insist on upgrading then this is what I'll do in no particular order;

1.12inch or 15inch Midwest industries gen3 mlok rail.and a lowpro gasblock.
    2.upgrade the trigger(the ones already suggested are good.
    3. Ambi- safety
    4.Ambi-bolt release
    5.muzzle device(there's tons of nice ones out there)
    6.Get a different stock (I like Magpul stocks)
    7.magpul PRO backup sights
    8.reddot(I like the sig Romeo5 for the money)
    9.magul grip.
    You don't have to get everything at 1 time it's up to you..

I also like the suggestion of getting a box and put all your factory parts in it just incase you want to sell the rifle,you can return it back to stock.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I bought the Ruger as well and think it's a good value. Mine shot well right out of the box. I was lucky enough to get one on sale. Like other commenters, I think a trigger replacement is a key upgrade. To mine, I added the double hole sling adapter, a quad rail fore-end, and I replaced the flash suppressor (I like the ones that don't have a bottom hole - better for prone shooting.) I picked up some QD swivels and have experimented with slings. I'm still experimenting...Is there such thing as the perfect sling? Of course, I added a red-dot, which meant that a riser was needed for proper co-witness with the Ruger-supplied flip-up rear sight and A2 front sight. For now, the quad rail is populated with a foldable fore-end grip (with storage plug) and I added a light whose switch slides into the grooves on the grip. Also attached is a laser. Frankly, I acknowledge that it is front heavy with the junk on it. The other day, I decided to remove the aftermarket quad rail and put the Ruger hand guard back on just to compare. My guess was right. I do like the balance better as it came from Ruger, but I put the junk back on it because I like having the light for defensive purposes. Oh, I bought a bayonet as well. Long ago a man told me that if there was a ruckus outside and you walked up with a bayonet on the rifle, they know you are serious. Maybe I just like the way it looks. So I chose the M9 style bayonet. I found that the Ruger AR-556 lug is slightly oversized and due to the lug location, the bayonet tang hole lands in the wrong spot. I ordered an adapter from Triple R products and that solves the problem. I was concerned that it might look rigged, but the adapter is good quality and well made. It goes on without any modifications and is solid, tight. My suggestion to any new AR purchaser is to get a spares kit. MidWay, Brownells and others sell them. It's real easy to lose or bend a buffer retainer pin spring, detent pin or other item when performing routine maintenance. I know guys that have broken the tips off buffer retainer pins while shooting so I also like to install and keep some of the stronger aftermarket buffer retainer pins (titanium, etc.).

Last edited:

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine

I've heard good things IRT Ruger AR's. I would not modify it in any way as far as a trigger unless you are competing in 3-gun or something to that effect. I can keep a large group of 5.56 62g mil-spec ammo inside a playing card @ 400 meters (unmagnified) with my 14.5" Colt M4 SOPMOD with a BE Meyers FH permanently installed. I use milspec triggers, I do have a process for polishing them and lubricating the FC compnents with Mobile 28.

As far as "components" it depends on what you're planning on doing with it? Irons are really good for close up to medium distance. Red dots are faster than irons in most cases, and can be magnified and provide low light enhancement. If I remember correctly Ruger's are heavy due to the piston, so I would keep it minimal on the front end unless you have specific requirements. My only advice on components is don't buy cheap stuff, it will fail and it does not perform even when working. Military used stuff is typically the best: Vortex civilian optics are great at a reasonable price point. SIG optics seem to be well made at a good price. If you're looking for CQB type stuff a Eotech or RMR minimalist red dots are great. If you want all purpose Aimpoint or Vortex 1MOA red dot and magnifier. If you want distance Vortex Razer 1-6x or similar can be had for around $1,200.00-1600 with mounts.

A bright white light is a good pick: Elzetta, SureFire, Streamlight, and Insight are all good. Look for 200-500 lumens with a rifle mount (picatinny/mlok/kemod whatever your Ruger has..) You need good target id at night, but 500+ lumens will wash out in small spaces and act as a liability.

Good luck and remember to cutomize it by your "operational requirements" not what people think is cool or what looks cool. There is a great deal of science behind all of it, and useless crap hanging from your AR will not help you have fun in the field. :)

Old Bubba

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    BRLA
    Trigger, trigger, trigger. I like and have both Timney and Geissele triggers. Beware of single stage low pull weight triggers (under 3.5 lbs). If using cheap, hard primer ammo they don't always hit the firing pin hard enough and it can just bounce off the primer. Surplus ammo have extremely hard primers to prevent slam fire in rapid fire combat.

If you are going to reload or mainly shoot good ammo then go for under 3.5 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom