Best AR-10 off the shelf?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • myles

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not looking to spend any more than $2000 for an AR-10, but is something I would like to add to my growing firearm collection. I've done a lot of research but still haven't come to a decision. A few to name that I've considered.... Wyndham Weaponry R18FSFST-308 & Aero M5E1. Please feel free to include any tweaks or mods you made if you bought a good off the shelf AR-10.

I don't want to turn away any opinions/feedback, but I'm not in the market to build one this go round.

Fire away your suggestions!

-Myles

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Well, not really specific on the brand but sticking with a dpms low pro type will allow the most options for rails, etc.

And stick with something that uses sr25 pattern mags, as the magpul offerings (and iwi, etc) are reasonably priced compared to the other types available.

This pretty much kills of Armalite, as they use a specific upper and lower and mags.

At 2k, you should be able to score a nice rifle, optioned as you like, right out of the box.

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    The armalite Tac-16 is an awesome value for the money.

Ambi lower
    raptor charging handle
    mbus sights
    adjustable gas block
    keymod rail
    magpul buttstock/pistol grip
    ss barrel

Can be had for $1600.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Dpms isnt a bad option to pick up to hunt with or maybe plink with on occaision. But, I've been to allot of competitions both dynamic and non, and I can tell you that the failure rate among dpms versus Armalite, JP and a few others is very high. Not to mention the accuracy. You can put together a nice gun for 2k that will far exceed the quality and dependability of the dpms's of the world without much problem.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Dpms isnt a bad option to pick up to hunt with or maybe plink with on occaision. But, I've been to allot of competitions both dynamic and non, and I can tell you that the failure rate among dpms versus Armalite, JP and a few others is very high. Not to mention the accuracy. You can put together a nice gun for 2k that will far exceed the quality and dependability of the dpms's of the world without much problem.

Well I sure hope so, at over twice the price. Most guys are pretty pleased with em, shooting 1 or 2 MOA with the right ammo. Some FTFs with the DPMS factory mags but switch to P mags, and that's history. No doubt you spend over twice the cash you will get something a bit more accurate, I would expect that.

Last edited:

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR

You can't build one anywhere close to the cost of the DPMS. Its a buyer's market right now, been that way now for many months. If cost is not a factor, then by all means piece one together.

Parts are cheap also. And for $750ish I could build a better rifle than the oracle

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    I have a dpms g2 bull that I am extremely happy with. It's well under $2000. Have shot everything from Malaysian surplus to hand loads. So far it has shot everything moa or better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom