Hunting wind speed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I took a vacation day the other day to spend it in a blind all day. It wasn't long before I realized I had picked the wrong day to hunt. There was falling temperature and rising pressure (which I've been told is a nice combination), and the wind direction was steady all day. What I neglected to pay attention to was the wind speed. It was a consistent 13 mph all day. Nothing was moving that day.

So my question to you what wind speeds have you found are ideal?

I have noticed the best movements from 5-10mph, but I'm asking you because I'm not certain. It seems that around 7-8 mph is best, as long as the wind is in a consistent direction and not swirling.

Thanks.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    If your hunting deer and hogs wind speed is a big factor. They use the wind to sense predators such as coyotes and bobcats (humans) and danger. Higher wind speeds make it more difficult for them to smell. I find deer movement is best at 5-10mph winds. If there is zero wind deer will usually not move either as they loose that sense for protection. Swirling winds or thermals in a bottom will make them very nervous and get hunters busted quite often. When deer sleep they always do so with there back to the wind as they can smell danger from behind and see danger in front. If you were in a duck blind then 13 mph should be helpful in my experience with ducks.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom