Knife Sharpener

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    So, being that everyone loves a sharp knife you have to be able to sharpen it as well... I normally take my knifes to Mr. Roy in Covington and he puts an edge that you can shave with on them... But I am now in the sandbox and for obvious reasons I can't do that right now... So what is a good sharpener that I can use to close to that? I have never sharpened by hand before so using just a block is not going to happen... What is something that makes an idiot like me able to keep a knife sharp? Oh and btw looking for another knife as mine walked away from me at some point (extremely pissed) and can't have auto-openers(or blades more that 6" non-registered mail) shipped here...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think they still have a few BayouShooter Spyderco PM2s available at the discounted price if that is of interest to you. If you aren't wanting to spend that much on a knife, SOG or Gerber both make decent knives in the $50 to $100 range.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I think they still have a few BayouShooter Spyderco PM2s available at the discounted price if that is of interest to you. If you aren't wanting to spend that much on a knife, SOG or Gerber both make decent knives in the $50 to $100 range.
    Really want a fixed blade knife in the 4 inch size range... And not too expensive lost too many expensive ones now...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Really want a fixed blade knife in the 4 inch size range... And not too expensive lost too many expensive ones now...

Something like a clinch pick?

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Most of the top knife manufacturers offer free sharpening for life. You just pay the shipping and you have your knife back as sharp as it came from the factory in about two weeks. I only buy Benchmade and Kershaw knives and both companies offer free sharpening for life.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Most of the top knife manufacturers offer free sharpening for life. You just pay the shipping and you have your knife back as sharp as it came from the factory in about two weeks. I only buy Benchmade and Kershaw knives and both companies offer free sharpening for life.

I prefer to not have to lose the knife to have it shipped... In my current situation that's 7-10 days each way..

And Austin what is that? And night it's midnight I'm getting some rest lol

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    DMT Aligner.... Great stones come with. Get a hand held lighted microscope too look at the progression of the edge and work your way to hand sharpening.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've been sharpening knives, or trying to, for about 50 years. One thing that I have learned is that the best results are achieved when all strokes are consistent. One of the reasons that the electric devices (like WorkSharp, $70-$100) have been successful is that they have a guide that helps you to always have the same angle for each stroke. The principles are simple, but the execution is often challenging. The angle has to be right. A slim angle (e.g. 15 deg) makes finer cuts but a severe angle (25 deg) stays sharper longer. A coarse stone gets the edge set quickly but the edge is rough. A fine stone makes a fine edge but it takes longer and requires more precision. Here's a decent option: buy a Smith's Precision Sharpening System. They start at around $20. It comes with a jig that holds the blade at a fixed angle so that you can get a consistent stroke. Several stones of varying coarseness are included. To keep your edge sharp between dedicated sharpenings, try a 2-Step Sharpener from Smith's, Gerber/Fiskars or SharpNEasy. They are around $5. I'd encourage you also to teach yourself the fundamentals of sharpening. Get an inexpensive double-sided synthetic stone (Carborundum, etc.) and just practice on some old knife. I did that on the table knife that came in the "Official Boy Scout Utensil Set" back in 1963. I was able to get it so sharp that it would shave. I eventually cut two pieces of wood and attached them as scales on the side. Don't expect the same results from the Smith's set as a $500-$1,000 water-stone sharpening station. But you should be able to get a decent, durable edge. If you do decide to buy the WorkSharp, I recommend that you get the Ken Onion edition and be sure to order some extra belts, particularly the fine-grit ones. I'm really surprised that sharpening equipment is not provided "in the sandbox." We need to speak to the JCS about that.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I've spent 50 years or so also try to sharpen knives. Finally got a Work Sharp a couple of years ago and couldn't be more pleased. Ken Onion edition is definitely best. But be careful If you get one cause everyone will be wanting you to sharpen knives for them!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I've spent 50 years or so also try to sharpen knives. Finally got a Work Sharp a couple of years ago and couldn't be more pleased. Ken Onion edition is definitely best. But be careful If you get one cause everyone will be wanting you to sharpen knives for them!

What he said

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Have to agree with the Ken Onion Work Sharp, easiest fastest way to get a blade back to new (or better than new) condition especially if there’s some damage to the blade.
    Been using a V Sharp for the past year and happy with it also. More suited to quickly touching up a dull blade. Very easy to use, my wife keeps her kitchen tools sharp herself. For a fixed blade, I like the ESSE product. Have several in a couple different sizes and some have been abused without any serious damage.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Have to agree with the Ken Onion Work Sharp, easiest fastest way to get a blade back to new (or better than new) condition especially if there’s some damage to the blade.
    Been using a V Sharp for the past year and happy with it also. More suited to quickly touching up a dull blade. Very easy to use, my wife keeps her kitchen tools sharp herself. For a fixed blade, I like the ESSE product. Have several in a couple different sizes and some have been abused without any serious damage.

Hmm thanks for the tip... I looked at them bit spendy but may be worth it... just got a get a converter since it wont seem to run on 240v!!!!

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Good Lord! I was asked once at a hunting camp who I sent my knifes too to be sharpened?

I looked at the guy like he was joking but he was dead serious!

How far have we fallen.

I wish I had been taught how to do this when I was younger but it was not a skill that was communicated to me... I wish I had someone to teach me the ways... I also do not have the most steady hand... Hence why I can shoot a rifle great... but a handgun... yea needs some improvement.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Regardless what sharpening kit you use keep a ceramic rod too. Regular 30 second touch ups on one will keep your blade razor sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA

This is what I got now I don't have to bring them to my B-i-L
    Wingate

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    As far as a knife, no clue what you need it to do. I assume you need strength over surgical ability. Check out Busse or swamp rat knives. A ratmandu or rodent solution maybe would fit your bill? They are thick though, so don’t expect to dice onions easily. But it’ll pry a car door open.

For sharpener, personally, I use a lansky. Once I get my initial edge set to 20 degrees per side, I then use a spyderco sharpnaker to keep it touched up. My knives stay shaving sharp. Some I keep a slightly course edge on for various reasons. I also keep a bench stone on hand for really fine tuning the edge. I want to learn to strop, just hadn’t gotten around to making one.

Knife sharpening isn’t rocket science. You’re just making to flat planes or steel meet at an apex. Then knock that burr off and you’re don’t. A sharp knife that’ll stay sharp assuming decent steeel. I find most people use too much pressure and that causes many problems. The final passes of burr removal should be no more than the weight of the knife. Go slow and it’s easy.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I cant be of much help on a knife suggestion. But as to a way to sharpen a blade I use the Lansky Pro. set which comes with 5 stones (extra course, course, medium, fine and extra fine 1000 grit). They even have a 2000 grit stone that can be ordered direct, which I think is worth it. It all fits in a compact carry case. Until I got the Lansky all I would do was pretty much ruin a blade

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I am self taught, I watched my dad when I was younger. I just kept practicing until I found what worked for me. I use a cabelas diamond stone.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom