Legality of Homemade Suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but here goes. Is there a legal way to make a suppressor? Is it practical?

I'm a fairly competent and experienced metalworker. I understand the physics and dynamics of suppressors. I've considered making my own.

I'm not talking about junk you see in YouTube videos, oil filters, 2-liter Coke bottles, etc. I mean something that's made from materials that have known specifications and assembly design that considers take-down for maintenance and cleaning, plus durability.

If a person builds their own suppressor, is there a way to legally register it? I know that registration needs serial numbers and I accept that as a given; I can stamp numbers into parts.

However, is it even practical from a financial standpoint to register a self-built suppressor? By that I mean are there ridiculous "manufacturer" registration costs that would make it impractical? In other words, is paying for the cost of a commercially manufactured suppressor and paying the Federal tax less dollars than having to register as a manufacturer, register a device, then pay the NFA tax and fees?

I assume that you would need an FFL Type 10 for Title 2 (NFA) firearms and an SOT Class 3 status.

I also appreciate that if you are going to do this, it wouldn't be practical to just do one unit or two. I'd think about at least 3 or 4. So for purposes of discussion, I'm thinking about something like:
    • Make a general purpose rifle suppressor that I can use for rifles up to calibers in the low to mid thirties (e.g., .308), AND
    • A .22 suppressor*, AND
    • A couple of pistol devices, one for 9mm and another for .45.

Any thoughts, or should I just file this as "you have to be nuts"?

On a related idea, what about forming a "club" that allows members to "share" or "check out" suppressors (like a library)? Or would everyone have to pay the NFA tax?
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    *Probably not .223/5.56 immediately. I understand that the pressures associated with these make for a challenging design problem. I saw some photos of a manufacturer's prototype that had been damaged.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    From what I have seen the main problem is the time and money to get it legal, then you build it and find out it doesn't work. I have a friend that has papered and built three cans. Two weren't quiet and the third exploded (the tube wasn't thick enough for .308).

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    It can be completely practical and a lot cheaper than buying one from a name brand manufacturer. I am on another forum and one of the members there has built quite a few From 1 cans I believe he bought a few from a name brand and then got bit by the bug and started building his own I think he had like 8 or so and did various tests with his homemade versus bought suppressors and they were neck and neck.

I tried searching for his thread on the matter but could not get it to show up. I will try again later and will post it here if I can find it.

Found the threads but for some reason all his informative posts have been changed to a random ten letter post. Not sure what happened but they were a big resource and learned a lot. you could also try looking at AR15.com and not sure if the SD tactical forums are still up.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Very doable and many people find it very practical.
    If you are wanting multiple cans, the savings will be substantial.

There are even plans and kits you can buy.

Just remember, paperwork first.
    Have your stamp in hand BEFORE you build anything.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member