What is this noise?!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Mine makes a knocking noise! Should I worry? I don’t know how old it is but I’m guessing it’s old (as in 17 years old).

We had a gas one that was around 20yrs old. We can home one day to water running out of the front door and weep holes in the brick. I’d probably think about replacing it whenever you are able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Mine makes a knocking noise! Should I worry? I don’t know how old it is but I’m guessing it’s old (as in 17 years old).

sounds like sediment/calcium buildup. does it have a drain(looks like a faucet?) if so hook a water hose to it and run it outside. slowly open it to full. lots of white/grey grit should come out(almost like sand). when the stuff sttops coming out turn off the drain and remove the hose.
    this should be done annually. it prevents excess sedimentation, and helps efficiency.

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    There is a twisted piece of metal in the tube in center of tank that flue gas travel up through that is designs to be a self cleaning it may not be in the correct position.
    Check where the flue connects to top of tank and move it in a circular fashion and see that is your noise. This may also correct it.

Norsewolf

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm a former remodeling contractor and used to have a home improvement radio program. I've seen a lot of weird things with water heaters. My guess would be thermal noise from the sacrificial anode. (When anodes are deteriorated the water can sometimes have a "rotten egg odor.") I wonder if yours needs to be tightened or if there is some sediment that is swirling around and hitting it. Newer water heaters have the inlet pipe discharge in a bend to allow the incoming water to swirl sediment to try to kick it up and out.
    Try flushing out the tank and see if that helps.
    Most people never have read an owner's manual on a water heater, but most I've read have prescribed draining the tank periodically...some as frequently as 90 days! On my water heaters in my own home I placed valves to allow the drain spigot to vent out the HVAC condensate drain line. From time to time I close the valve to the evaporator and open the valve on the water tank. That flushes out the sediment and the hot water keeps the condensate drain clean as a whistle! Of course, you need to return the valves to the right position afterward. I've experimented with sprinkler valves to do this with a flip of a switch.

Old Bubba

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    BRLA
    It is definitely thermal expansion, but what (?) I don't know. Because it is still in warranty call the manufacturer and ask them. If you go and monkey with it yourself they'll void the warranty.

All others that have an old rumbling water heaters, it's sediment built up in the bottom. Google "flush water heater" for the procedure. It's a pain but it works.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    sounds like sediment/calcium buildup. does it have a drain(looks like a faucet?) if so hook a water hose to it and run it outside. slowly open it to full. lots of white/grey grit should come out(almost like sand). when the stuff sttops coming out turn off the drain and remove the hose.
    this should be done annually. it prevents excess sedimentation, and helps efficiency.

Does the hose have to go outside? Can I drain it into a tub? Kinda far from the attic to outside and closest bed room has a bathroom

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Does the hose have to go outside? Can I drain it into a tub? Kinda far from the attic to outside and closest bed room has a bathroom

When I drained mine it took a minute...with that being said A tub may work just make sure the drain hole can keep up with the rate of flow! if not you end up with a flooded bathroom. Also helps if you loosen the input and output hoses on the top of the unit to help eliminate the vacuum, thus draining faster.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    When I drained mine it took a minute...with that being said A tub may work just make sure the drain hole can keep up with the rate of flow! if not you end up with a flooded bathroom. Also helps if you loosen the input and output hoses on the top of the unit to help eliminate the vacuum, thus draining faster.

Do you shut off the water to the heater first?

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Do you shut off the water to the heater first?

i leave it on, and let the water flow for 10-20 mins till no more sediment comes out.

you can drain into your tub or toilet. whatever best handles several lbs of sand.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yes! But if you want things to get exciting leave it on! LoL

Make sure to kill the gas/electricity/pilot light/water input before doing anything!
    Sounds like it’s betger left to the professionals. I’ll count pills since that’s what I’m good at!

Top Bottom