What is this noise?!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    We recently replaced the water heater and it does it job and it does it pretty well. It started making this noise after a lengthy shower. This heater is only about 4 months old. Have you heard a water heater making this noise before?

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    We recently replaced the water heater and it does it job and it does it pretty well. It started making this noise after a lengthy shower. This heater is only about 4 months old. Have you heard a water heater making this noise before?

If that's a humming noise you need to check all your electric connections to make sure they're tight and you're not getting a Arc in there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    If that's a humming noise you need to check all your electric connections to make sure they're tight and you're not getting a Arc in there

Whoops I just noticed it was a gas sorry about that

HitNmiss

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    norco,la
    Either thermal expansion of the tank,the check in the dieelectric nipple pinging due to expansions pushing back or vent

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    So its normal based on yalls experiences? I just wanted to inquire while the unit is still under warranty. The humming noise is the dryer in the background.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I agree with the thermal expansion. And it might be turned up hotter than it needs to be so you check that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Not an expert on this but did some reading because I was interested. It seems when you run the hot water out of the tank, the inrush of cold water cools the tank a bit and can cause the pinging as the tanks temp drops some.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Mine makes a knocking noise! Should I worry? I don’t know how old it is but I’m guessing it’s old (as in 17 years old).

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Mine makes a knocking noise! Should I worry? I don’t know how old it is but I’m guessing it’s old (as in 17 years old).

Interesting enough... in my reading on the other issue knocking in most cases, was caused by sediment build up in the inside of the tank. After a while it flakes off and becomes large particles that circulate inside the tank and knock on the sides as the water heats up. Some said it was caused by hard water and time.

They should last about 10-12 years on average. I got 12 out of mine.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My gas oven does the same thing when it gets up to 400 on cold days But stops when hot! My Hot water heater is 100% quite other than the burner
    Does it keep doing it?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Anyone recommend a plumber or to do this replacement? How much should this run? It’s gas, in an attic that has floors through out, and I located in New Orleans

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I don’t think you need a plumber. Any handyman should be able to do that. Hardest part is lifting it up there.
    Myself, when mine goes out I will go with the instant electric kind. They’ve came a long way.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The Tidy bowl man is trapped inside, must have taken the wrong pipe... and trying to signal you to rescue him. You'd better hurry... eventually the tapping will stop!!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don’t think you need a plumber. Any handyman should be able to do that. Hardest part is lifting it up there.
    Myself, when mine goes out I will go with the instant electric kind. They’ve came a long way.

Any recommendations on a handyman? That’s licensed and insured? Heater is in the attic of a 2 story. There’s two up there, one newer than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom