anyone take pride in their work nowadays?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I work as a commercial sign installer/fabricator. So as part of my job, I have to tie a newly installed sign into a power source on the building, and trace/label the breaker on in the panel. The "professional" electricians are supposed to leave a whip (length of wire) for me to tie into to power the lights in the sign. This is the cluster-**** type of **** I have to deal with on a regular basis. I spent an hour dealing with this today, just to track down live wires and cap them off so the building isn't a fire waiting to happen until our fabrication shop can build the new sign so I can go back to do the install and finish fixing this disaster. I do not have a job that is very flashy and I do not deal directly with the public ( thankfully ), however I do take pride in my work/job. Does anyone take pride in their work nowadays? Or am I alone on this front?

Attachments

• workpic.jpg
      workpic.jpg
      68.9 KB · Views: 137
    • workpic2.jpg
      workpic2.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 123
    • workpic3.jpg
      workpic3.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 131
    • workpic4.jpg
      workpic4.jpg
      37.9 KB · Views: 123

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I wonder about the same thing all the time. Everywhere I go, or any place i call for stuff, it seems like the employees just don't feel like working or gives me a crappy attitude. I take pride in my workplace, it seems like some people I've met just wants a handout.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    We do work in locations over Louisiana and south Mississippi and we see the same thing. Most (not all) commercial contractors leave jobs looking like your photos; weather it’s electrical, plumbing, construction. Part of the problem is the owners never go out on the jobs to check the crews and the guys get lazy.
    We try to leave our work areas better than we find them after our projects are complete.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    My dad always told me if you are going to do something do it right or don't do it at all. I live by that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I do. It's gotten to the point that I've gotten physically sick from overworking myself to make sure things are done correctly and nothing skipped over.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    I've done all sorts of stuff from welding/fabricating custom architectural fixtures and manufacturing equipment, to being a certified ford tech, to trim/cabinet carpenter, to what I do now, work in a granite/marble shop....I get freaking bored with routine. But I learned a long time ago, if you do the best possible work you can, no matter what you do you can demand basically anything you want. You might have to quit to get it, but people will be willing to pay it after dealing with the fast cheap people.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    And yet Walmart is raising the wages of their employees to $11 an hour here in LA... :/

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I work as a commercial sign installer/fabricator. So as part of my job, I have to tie a newly installed sign into a power source on the building, and trace/label the breaker on in the panel. The "professional" electricians are supposed to leave a whip (length of wire) for me to tie into to power the lights in the sign. This is the cluster-**** type of **** I have to deal with on a regular basis. I spent an hour dealing with this today, just to track down live wires and cap them off so the building isn't a fire waiting to happen until our fabrication shop can build the new sign so I can go back to do the install and finish fixing this disaster. I do not have a job that is very flashy and I do not deal directly with the public ( thankfully ), however I do take pride in my work/job. Does anyone take pride in their work nowadays? Or am I alone on this front?

Well, Did you fix the cluster F or just posted to bitch about Tide eating workers?

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Try working for someone who doesn't give two shits about things being done right. Just look busy and get the work done as quick and cheap as possible. It's frustrating as Hell.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    We try to leave our work areas better than we find them after our projects are complete.

I put myself through graduate school as a locksmith.
    That was some time ago as my wrinkles will attest to.
    Once I finished with a job, no matter where it was, I cleaned the area thoroughly before leaving, hoping it was better than when I arrived.
    Professionalism is a hard-won skill and it goes hand in hand with pride in one's work.
    On one job, as I was leaving, my customer commented on how he didn't expect me to clean up all the debris I left on the floor (sawdust and metal shavings from drilling a mortise) and told me he'd use me exclusively whenever he needed work done.
    Cannot tell you how proud I felt that my efforts were definitely noticed.
    Once I stopped working as a locksmith we remained-and still are-friends.
    (And remember folks, confident and discrete professionalism is the best advertising available...)

Many of my best lessons were not given in the formal academic classroom but while engaging in the arena of everyday life and work.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    After getting rid of the neon, and the cluster of bad/old wiring, transformer cans, etc.... I've simplified the wiring, figured out what's what and re-labeled the breaker box, converted the building signage to LED, and got everything working right. Why couldn't the last guys to work on this place leave it better than they found it. I sure tried my best to.... I dunno why this pics are upside down. I'm posting from my phone so....

Attachments

• 20180131_133555.jpg
      20180131_133555.jpg
      210.8 KB · Views: 74
    • 20180131_134028.jpg
      20180131_134028.jpg
      195.4 KB · Views: 68

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    After getting rid of the neon, and the cluster of bad/old wiring, transformer cans, etc.... I've simplified the wiring, figured out what's what and re-labeled the breaker box, converted the building signage to LED, and got everything working right. Why couldn't the last guys to work on this place leave it better than they found it. I sure tried my best to.... I dunno why this pics are upside down. I'm posting from my phone so....

Looking good! Except your pictures are upside down? :rofl:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My job deals in human life so anything less than my best would be a sin. But yes to the OP, and I totally get it. Thank goodness there are still people who take pride in their work, but I fear they are fewer every day.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I just take pride in knowing that i am better than everyone else. My superiority complex is my best friend!

Top Bottom