Pipeline shooting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Anyone ever go shooting on the pipeline North of Gramercy? I didn't see any signs of a hunting club on it and it is flooded. But it does look like a place that you could stretch a rifle's legs to a mile or so. Or, is that illegal for some reason?

DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington
    It would be considered trespassing to be on the right of way without permission. The ROW is considered private property and typically there are signs stating this at the entrance and on the pipe markers.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I saw signs on the fenced in places where the pipes come above ground but I didn't see any around the wooded area or edges. I could have overlooked them because I wasn't looking for signs. But, good to know. Who would I have to call to obtain permission?

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Many deer camps have done it, might be worth it if someone says "yes." "Louisiana, the Sportsman's Paradise!" SMFH :x:

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    I work for the pipiline, i would highly advise against doing that. Those pipelines are patrolled routinely by air, and any time we get a report about something like this, its a serious thing.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    My question is how are you going to safely shoot without a backstop. You are responsible for any round you let lose. You punch a hole in a pipeline or heaven forbid hit someone, guess what will happen to you. High power rounds can travel several miles, in short order.

Beauxdog

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    No signs are needed in La anymore it would be trespassing if you didn't have the correct permission to be on it.

DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington
    I saw signs on the fenced in places where the pipes come above ground but I didn't see any around the wooded area or edges. I could have overlooked them because I wasn't looking for signs. But, good to know. Who would I have to call to obtain permission?

You could look on a marker for the company that owns it but you've got a better chance of hitting the lottery than getting permission. It's a huge liability for a number of reasons and I don't think any company would agree to that. The company I work for has prosecuted people for riding atvs on our ROW.

Davidg53

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2018
    Bentley,La
    Here's the thing about pipelines; in most cases, the pipeline does not own the property. They simply have a ROW (Right of Way) or access they paid for when the pipe was laid. The property owner would be the one to talk to, but good luck with that. But even if you obtained permission from the landowner, there are a number of federal laws pertaining to willful or negligent damage to a high pressure gas or oil pipeline. Remember too that pipelines often are built above ground for measurement facilities or pig launchers/receivers. Punch a hole in one and all hell is about to break loose. Finally, remember....you own your bullet....from the time it leaves your barrel until it lands somewhere...it is yours. A very serious responsibility it is. And folks don't get away with doing stupid stuff these days...almost everyone has a smart phone...with a camera. Fyi

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Anyone ever go shooting on the pipeline North of Gramercy? I didn't see any signs of a hunting club on it and it is flooded. But it does look like a place that you could stretch a rifle's legs to a mile or so. Or, is that illegal for some reason?

If your talking about the ROW that crosses Hwy 641 it passes through the Maurespas Swamp WMA. As others have pointed out it is not a safe place to shoot a rifle for the many reasons pointed out.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA

I have never shot there but from what I have heard (word of mouth not gunshots) a lot of shooting goes on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom