4 wheeler/ atv info and suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    Hey everyone, looking to get an ATV. My first one and I honestly don't know anything about them. Never even rode on one. But I want one as a toy and for my siblings and father to ride since there's a forest with a trail behind the house. Figured I'd ask here since people here would have land or hunt and use atvs. I'm just looking to spend 2k or less. From what I've seen looking on local classifieds I'd be lucky to get a 2005-2010 model with a reputable brand. ( Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki?) Also, are these supposed to come with a title? If I decide to sell later on, do I need a title? Anything I should look for? Maintenance wise, anything to do to them? I see some have the snorkel in the front, winches, racks and whatnot. Any upgrades to look for or avoid? Thanks.

BTW, if anyone has one looking to sell or trade let me know. If trading I have a few guns for sale up on here right now and ammo.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I am biased and prefer two wheels when offroading for pleasure... Reason being ATVs can and will roll on you and thats a lot of weight coming down on you... people die all the time in rollovers... Second they can get in far tighter areas and are easier to get unstuck as well... If you wreck on one you tend to just have to deal with your own body weight as you separate from the machine. Look at Yamaha TW200s a good used one fits that range and its very fun offroad with its large tires and pretty beginner friendly with its low height, also its street legal which is nice as a just in case... Oh always ear a helmet!!!! I don't care if you loose points for doing it... but start riding in the woods without a helmet at high speed and darwin starts to call your name.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You can find used ones for the price you want to pay all day long. Stick with Yamaha or Honda and you can’t go wrong. It will be an older model, but if you take your time you can find one in good shape. A first glance at most bikes will tell you if someone has taken care of them. This doesn’t always hold true, as you don’t know how the internals of the engines look, but for the most part this holds true. Look for lines in the ad that say * adult owned* or * never sunk* and then talk to the person and get a feel for thier honesty. As far as titles go, some will have it and some will not. I would get a bill of sale no matter what, even if you have to hand write it. It helps prove ownership just in case someone tries to claim you stole it ( very low probability). My son has traded for at least 3 four wheelers in the last 3 years and I don’t think any of them had a title. The 20 something year old crowd trade 4 wheelers like they are baseball cards. It’s way too risky for my blood, but they do it all the time with out any apparent problems. Good luck.

Last edited:

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Personally I'd stay away from anything with too many modifications, nothing lifted or snorkled for sure. Plenty of bikes out there that were just used to get around some property to be had. People take care of tools, not so much toys. Also at least get a notarized bill of sale.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Being new to 4 wheelers, stay away from anything with a snorkle and/or lift kit.
    Generally those have been ridden hard and abused.

Look for a stock Honda or Yamaha. You don't need 4x4.
    It sounds like a 250cc to 550cc 2 wheel drive would be perfect for what you are wanting to do.
    Smaller engine and 2 wheel drive will get you a much newer bike in your price range.

Check your local craigslist.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Here are a couple of examples from craigslist that I think would make good bikes for you.
    I have a one just like that Yamaha and it's been a great little bike.

These are both from the same seller so you may be able to get both for ~$2000.
    And you will probably want a second one soon any way since it will be shared by family members.

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/snw/d/2001-honda-recon-250-2wd/6472913178.html

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/snw/d/1999-yamaha-bear-tracker-250/6468600978.html

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    Thanks guys. Appreciate all the input. I saw some I'm interested in. I'm just worried about most I see don't have a title. I don't want it to get confiscated with only a bill of sale to show. Found a 09 Honda rancher 420 4x4 all stock. Used for hunting. For 1600 which seems pretty good. No title though

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I am not up on vehicle law for ATVs but couldn't you request a duplicate title for transfer purposes? I mean they gave me a title when I bought mine many moons ago. Or do these particular ATVs change hands so much that the original owner has been left in the fog of time and going back and getting title would be cumbersome?

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    THe reason most bikes more than a couple years old don’t have a title is usually because the second and later owners didn’t want to pay transfer and taxes on the bike. I have had dozens of used bikes ranging fro a couple years old to almost as old as me without title. Only had a handful with title. Never any problems either way.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Most people don't keep up with offroad vehicle titles because they are for the most part useless. A notarized bill of sale is plenty sufficient to cover you in most cases, especially if you insist on meeting at the nearest sheriffs station and having one sign as a witness to the transaction. You could also have the serial number ran while you're there. It'd take a pretty stupid thief to agree to doing that to sell a stolen bike. But as far as a title, useless for something that will never be street legal unless you want to take out a loan against it.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    Ok thanks. I just wanted to be sure it was ok to purchase with just a bill of sale. Unfortunately the Honda I found was sold. The search continues. It looks like I want to stick to either Yamaha or Honda preferably. Suzuki or Kawasaki is fine as well. But I can't afford some models. Seems the good ones to look for are the grizzly, brute Force, King quad and various Honda models?

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Check out the pawn shops sometimes they have deals, I know Vincent's in Covington always seems to have a deal on one... (They have a gent who fixes them up for them to sell)

fender

FENDER
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    HAMMOND
    I went through a similar choice on buying an atv , went to friendly power sports in Slidell they sell all brands large selection in stock huge showroom. Wound up buying a 610 2wd positve diff lock kawasaki mule for about the price of am atv. 3 yr warranty. It sips gas very powerful has dump bed etc..110hrs zero issues ..

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    I am supposed to be taking a look at a Suzuki king quad 400 that is close to me. Seems pretty good deal. He did have extras which I'm not sure if tedflag or not. He has snorkel, rims, mud tires and winch. He said he has never sunk it and bought it from his brother who only used it for hunting. Should I still be interested or pass on it? Maybe just give it a good inspection to see what kind of life it had?

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    Just wanted to update. Just bought an 07 Honda rancher 420 es. Less than 100 hours on it. All stock and had a tune up recently. Came with an extra set tires and wheels. For a super good price I couldn't pass up. Was only about 15 min away from me as well. Thanks everyone for your help and advice. They're super fun to ride even though this only goes up to about 55mph. I am definitely getting a second one.

Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    FWIW make sure to stay away from almost all of them from central La. just about everything around here goes to mud fest and they’re pretty much ragged out.

Top Bottom