357 Load Data

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    I have a lot of Unique and Bullseye powder. Loading for a 357. I am using a 158 grain LSWC bullet. Loading either 5.7 - 5.8 grains of Unique or 4.5 - 4.6 grains of Bullseye. Anyone have any preference for either powder?

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    A good rule of thumb is to choose a powder that fills more than 50% of case; less chance of double charge, or in yours case a quadruple charge

DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    I have some HP-38/WW231 and max is 7 grains which would probably be close to a 50% case fill. I can't find any load for a 357 that uses 10 grains or more which would fill a 357 case more that 50%.
    A good rule of thumb is to choose a powder that fills more than 50% of case; less chance of double charge, or in yours case a quadruple charge

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I have some HP-38/Win 291 and max is 7 grains which would probably be close to a 50% case fill. I can't find any load for a 357 that uses 10 grains or more which would fill a 357 case more that 50%.

I sure hope y'all are more careful of weights than you are about typing - that should be HP38/WW231

DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    You are correct. I have edited my original post to say WW231. I am anal about reloading. I use an RCBS single stage press and I double check everything.

[/QUOTE]I sure hope y'all are more careful of weights than you are about typing - that should be HP38/WW231[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    If I were forced to choose between Bullseye and Unique, I would opt for the latter. It has been mentioned here that Bullseye burns dirty but Unique does also. Many times I have heard it referred to as flammable dirt. Unique is however a very useful powder and I always keep some on hand and use it often. Most powders suggested for lead projectiles will not fill more than 50% of case volume. With plain base lead bullets, either cast or swaged, fast powders are often chosen and velocities are reduced compared to jacketed loads. This is done to reduce the chance of lead buildup in the bore. Contrary to popular belief, using "Hard Cast" bullets often does not reduce this tendency to lead the barrel. Gas checked lead bullets work better than plain based when velocity is increased. The key to top performance with non-jacketed bullets is proper sizing for your specific gun which is seldom available from mass producers. There are exceptions. Aside from the powders you mentioned, perhaps 2400 would be a good choice. It's an old standby powder for the 357 with LSWC bullets if you want a little more performance than Unique will deliver.

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    Try about 14.5gr 2400 with a hard cast 155/160gr gas check SWC sized to fit the cylinder throat. Very accurate & powerful. No issue with double charge either.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I agree with the Unique being dirty It is also hard to meter.
    The "Old Unique" was really bad. So are all the old powders. I had Unique, Blue Dot, in old cardboard cans. it was part of an estate an free to me.
    The new stuff is still dirty, and meters not so good. But does well enough.
    If I was buying powder I would get 2400. I personally like 2400 Over Winchester 296 or the Hodgdon H110 {equivalent}
    Yes, I have some. Just using up what I have that is older 1st. When powder was hard to get
    I mostly shoot cast when I shoot. Both my 357 and 44 shot well. With the powders listed above. Better than I can shoot.

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    I have 2 favorite loads using Bullseye and Unique.

For decades, I have loaded 148 gr HBWC over 2.7gr Bullseye in .38 Special. This is my target load for several revolvers.

My .357 load is 125 gr JHP over 8.4 gr Unique. This gives around 1300 fps. I can consistently hit a 2 ft square plate at 200 yds with this using my 8 3/8" model 27-2. I use the Elmer Keith technique placing the top of the rear sight on the bottom of the front sight and placing the top of the front sight on the target.

Top Bottom