Slide won’t go into battery

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    So I just installed a new red dot on one of my glock 19s and now when I go to load it the slide gets hung up somehow about an 1/8 of an inch short. This only occurs when I go to load a round into the chamber it doesn’t occur with an empty mag. Any suggestions on what could be going on?

Attachments

• 7A74BCF6-BE1D-44EC-B19F-A44D593F9F5A.jpg
      7A74BCF6-BE1D-44EC-B19F-A44D593F9F5A.jpg
      218.1 KB · Views: 116
    • 992CCC90-9AD9-40B9-A565-D5CA19C1631C.jpg
      992CCC90-9AD9-40B9-A565-D5CA19C1631C.jpg
      217.2 KB · Views: 133

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Who installed the red dot? On the 19 you can over drill one of the bolt holes and one of the mounting screws will intrude into the channel in the slide that your extractor rides in. When you try and chamber a round it won't let the extractor move out of the way to ride over the rim, and leave with an out of battery pistol by about 0.125" or the thickness of the rim of the casing. This is why you should choose your gunsmith wisely. If you want it looked at give me a call. 225-244-1686

Last edited:

D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    How are you loading it? One in the chamber and then dropping the slide, or racking the slide slowly and picking the round up out of a mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve tried multiple ways of loading it, full mag racking the slide back and dropping the slide with the slide release. I’ve tried both ways with half a mag and with just a single bullet neither will allow the slide to go all the way forward

D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    Who installed the red dot? On the 19 you can over drill one of the bolt holes and one of the mounting screws will intrude into the channel in the slide that your extractor rides in. When you try and chamber a round it won't let the extractor move out of the way to ride over the rim, and leave with an out of battery pistol by about 0.125" or the thickness of the rim of the casing. This is why you should choose your gunsmith wisely. If you want it looked at give me a call. 225-244-1686
    What you’re describing sounds like my issue I’ve installed a handful of red dots on multiple handguns of mine and never had an issue(no expert or gunsmith by any means). On this one I had an older rmr that the glass separated from the frame of the optic so I just swapped it out with a J-point. I know they’re not top of the line but this is just a range gun. When I swapped to the jpoint I had to use the longer screws because it sits on top of a plate and raises it higher than the rmr. I’ll take another look in the morning and re-torque them and see if that helps

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Take the gun apart, and pull the extractor pin out, Is the Screw pressing down the extractor pin causing it to be stiff and not letting the extractor grab the round?

I know when they tap the holes at least on my ZEV guns the screw hole on the right side goes right into the extractor channel, so I would imagine improper screws can jam things up in there.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Take the gun apart, and pull the extractor pin out, Is the Screw pressing down the extractor pin causing it to be stiff and not letting the extractor grab the round?

I know when they tap the holes at least on my ZEV guns the screw hole on the right side goes right into the extractor channel, so I would imagine improper screws can jam things up in there.

The extractor is on the left side, the firing pin is on the right side.

My bad, I need more sleep.

Last edited:

jneubig

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Houma
    I’m confused. I would say the extractor is on the right, the ejector is on the left and the striker is centered.

That's my thought as well. Weapon facing away, the extractor is on the right and part of the slide. Striker is in the middle on the slide and the ejector is on the left attached to the frame.

ca survivor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    Miami, Florida
    in your second pick it shows the slide binding on the dust cover of the frame, Glock people call it Pig nose, maybe the red dot is screwed too tight.

Yankchef

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2017
    New Orleans
    Another thing to consider is what kind of ammo you are using. When I was running a glock 17 with a comp and red dot it would not cycle freedom munitions Reman. Same gun ran Speer lawman like a top, just a thought

pnn9806

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Metairie
    I've got a Bowie glock just like it, but still have the old trijicon red dot on it. No problems here, how long is your bolt going down the extractor plunger? I can take a pic to compare if you'd like

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom