I’m curious to hear some opinions on self defense handgun calibers.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kchunts

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2016
    Houma, La.
    Best answer that I can give is use whatever you are most comfortable and accurate with, and what you can control consistently. Rotate ( replace) your ammo on a regular basis. Keep fresh ammo in the magazine/ cylinder. Practice with the older ammo. Avoid oils/ cleaning solvents around your ammunition, it neutralizes your primers.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    If someone broke into my back door and my colt gold cup 45 was next to my ruger 40 s&w I will take my 40 every time. I will take the 16 rounds. That is proficiency.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forgive me! I fail to see the revalence of round count to proficiency as defined below.

pro·fi·cien·cy
    noun
    noun: proficiency; plural noun: proficiencies
    a high degree of competence or skill; expertise.
    "he demonstrated his proficiency in CQC"
    synonyms: skill, expertise, experience, accomplishment, competence, mastery, prowess, professionalism, deftness, adroitness, dexterity, finesse, ability, facility; informal know-how

All Due Respect!!!

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    And you can't be proficient with somthing with 16 rounds?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I know the "what-if" game can become a rabbit hole, but realistically, think if you have three aggressors at once? Can a lower capacity gun with .45, 10mm, 40, or 50 BMG handle all three threats? If every single shot is put in an area that counts, then yes. But most people, even those of us with extensive training, will miss a majority of shots under a very stressful situation. I, personally, would rather have 17+1 in the weapon, and 17 more in my extra mag than less.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    I agree. When that door gets broke in you don't know how many are coming in. That's why I will grab my 16 +1 Ruger. I also have another 16 in a clip next to my gun.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    If you have a night stand gun, even in .45 acp, why are you limiting yourself to standard magazines?

23+1 is much better than 7/8+1.

Capacity alone is enough for me to never warrant carrying a .45 for self defense.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I customized my home alarm to play the National Anthem should it be tripped. That should give me lots of time to either grab what is closest or stand in front of the safe and contemplate what weapon would be best for the situation. It’s on a loop so time is no problem. I don’t argue caliber. I live by the number one rule. First rule in a gunfight, have a gun.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I customized my home alarm to play the National Anthem should it be tripped. That should give me lots of time to either grab what is closest or stand in front of the safe and contemplate what weapon would be best for the situation. It’s on a loop so time is no problem. I don’t argue caliber. I live by the number one rule. First rule in a gunfight, have a gun.

I can't tell if you are joking or not...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom