Last Hunt of My First Deer Season

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Thanks to everyone who has helped me learn white tail hunting this season. It's been great. Converting from hog stalking on public land to white tail tree hunting on private land lease has been a blast with a large learning curve. I have been saving my last tag for a trophy buck and have one more hunt left in me this season.

Tuesday is predicted to have NNE winds of 5-9 mph with temps 34-52 degrees and rising pressure until about 10am. That's about perfect.

My question to you is, "Which spot do I hunt?"

In the attached image, the green circle is a two acre grove of old large water oaks that is clear of underbrush, with a potential stand location as the green star. I just found this grove two weeks ago and set up a feeder on a deer/hog path to this grove. The feeder is the yellow circle. I placed a 15' tall ladder stand NE of the feeder seven days ago which is marked as the yellow star. A week is not enough time to establish a corn feeding site, so this is not yet a seasoned site. The blue line is a creek with vertical 15' tall walls on either side that deer cannot cross. The red dashes represent a high density of old and fresh, large buck scrapes about 20 feet from the creek edge. I've never seen a density of scrapes like this. There are large scrapes about every 15 feet or so. Some big boy is aggressively marking his territory. My guess is this is his path between bedding and the food supply of the oak grove. With a NNE wind, a potential tree stand location is marked with a red star. Neither the green star or red star are stands yet. I can grab some climbing sticks at the camp and a hang on stand to setup in either location.

So with one hunt left, and knowing the temps have recently been down to 10 degrees for multiple days (reducing natural browse), do I set up to hunt the old grove of water oaks (there are some old acorns on the ground), or do I set up to hunt the feeder (set to disperse 10 seconds of corn in the AM and 10 seconds in the PM), or should I hunt the high density of scrapes?

Another option is to bring a relatively quiet set of tree branch cutters and, as quietly as possible, try and cut a shooting lane from the yellow star tree stand to the red dashes of the buck scrapes, so I can hunt the new feeder and the scrapes. That will make a little noise as the sun is coming up.

LastHunt.jpg
    [/url] upload host[/IMG]

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Which ever area you choose, with a NNE wind, you want to be SSW of the area you want to hunt. You also will want to be able to come into the area down wind. What are the does in the area doing? The bucks are looking for does, not food during the rut.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Since you're new to deer hunting, and if you're still hunting in St Tammany, just a reminder that Area 4 is now primitive/archery hunting only through the end of the season. This fact just snuck up on me and I almost headed out today with my .30-06. Now I have to go sight-in my muzzleloader before my afternoon hunt.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I went with the red option, then switched to yellow when I needed a more comfortable spot. Saw nothing and left that third Zone 4 either sex tag unfilled. Had my trusted CVA .444 crack barrel hog-murderer at the ready. Was a great season all around. Learned lots, put some deer in the freezer, and as soon as the dirt warms up I'm breaking out the ATV disc and throwing down some soybean, claypea and lablab.

Speaking of seed, does anyone have a source they would like to recommend? Our local feed store has pretty good prices and advice and I like to support them. Have had great interactions with http://www.specialtyseed.com in MS as well.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    When you start bow hunting those oaks will be the spot. Get a climber (summit Viper sd is what I use) and set up a few trees that you can work the wind in your favor. Your hooked now!

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Yup, I've already planned that. Found a 200# feeder on sale at WalMart. Am thinking of programming the feeder for 7 seconds each morning which should give me about 1.5#s of corn on the ground daily for 130 days. So I could fill it up soon and start establishing feeding habits, then I just have to wait 8 months! 130 days means I could top it off just before bow season and not have to touch it again until Feb 1. I went bow hunting maybe 5-10 times in Oct & early Nov with no success. Need to learn to be less twitchy (I scared off a few deer who saw me). I bought a climber (Treewalker) off season last year for the discount but have yet to learn how to use it.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Yeah, it does seem like Louisiana deer have all learned to look up doesn't it? I went on a bow hunt in Illinois a couple of years ago and couldn't believe it. Could have done jumping jacks in my lock on and never get them to look up.

Quick tip about climbers that I am sure you know already... be sure the bottom half is tethered to the top half! I ain't telling how I know that little tidbit... ;) So many details to check twice when the you hunt with a bow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom