Do you EDC a light?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you EDC a light?

• Yes

Votes: 52 72.2%
    • No

Votes: 20 27.8%

• Total voters

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I've had a Jetbeam BC 10 in my left front pocket for the last 3 years. Bought it on a recommendation from someone here on the forum. (Must have been beauxdog from the looks of it) It gets hot and is hard on batteries, but I'll wait until it dies before I upgrade.

I've done only a little night work as part of a VATA class and the light held its own. Truth is that I carry it as it comes in handy looking for things in dark spots, walking back from the deer stand, etc., more than I ever expect to utilize it in a fight. Same for the Kershaw Leek in the opposite side pocket. Not a fighting knife, but like the light I hardly know it's there...

You should upgrade. Newer light tech is WAY better than old tech.

https://www.amazon.com/P12-flashlig...8172&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=nitecore+p12&psc=1

Check out that package on Amazon.

But you also have to be careful with the really bright lights in a house. If you've ever turned the corner and been facing a mirror of some sort, like in the back of a china cabinet, you may want to make sure you have a good balance of wide pattern and brightness.

Definitely a consideration, but realistically if done properly it should not be a concern. Shining directly into a mirror will blind you with any quality light, so that's where training helps.

800 lumen WML and 1000 lumen Handheld Light.

No need to worry about China cabinets either.

^^ What he said.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    Single cell 123 Nitecore MT1C last couple years.
    Before that a Fenix PD20 till it finally died.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Pocket EDC:
    Fenix PD35 TAC (1000 lumen)
    Thryrm Switchback.

9f4dc976a823d26fc8531cd25f44f15e.jpg

WML EDC:
    G19 with Olight PL Mini (400 lumen)

da43e2f68f3951c4fa75b66d6a5bbb76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Definitely a consideration, but realistically if done properly it should not be a concern. Shining directly into a mirror will blind you with any quality light, so that's where training helps.

Training helps but you don't always get to pick and choose where someone else gets to put their mirrors. You learn that through experience. A mirror at the end of the hall. The glass from a picture frame on a desk. But the scenarios one is likely to encounter wearing a duty belt are different than one is likely to come across carrying concealed. And the benefit of a duty belt is more room to carry a brighter handheld for longer distances and bigger areas. If I had to pick only one for concealed carry, I would go with brighter.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Nitecore P12 if full pockets, Nitecore TM03 if not. Just stick them in a carrier in one of my cargo pockets.

That's not counting the variety other lights I keep in my car, just because I like options.

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Training helps but you don't always get to pick and choose where someone else gets to put their mirrors. You learn that through experience. A mirror at the end of the hall. The glass from a picture frame on a desk. But the scenarios one is likely to encounter wearing a duty belt are different than one is likely to come across carrying concealed. And the benefit of a duty belt is more room to carry a brighter handheld for longer distances and bigger areas. If I had to pick only one for concealed carry, I would go with brighter.

It's a non-issue that you're making into an issue. This has been debunked over and over.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's a non-issue that you're making into an issue. This has been debunked over and over.

I'm just curious since I couldn't find it with a brief Google search, who debunked it? I sure as hell wouldn't want to be clearing a dark house and give myself a face full of TM03 goodness.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    For handhelds, Streamlight is still behind the times.

Nitecore and Olight have been making superior lights for years.

They may be behind slightly, but if something goes wrong it's nice to have a U.S. Company to deal with. Fenix wanted me to send a light to China for a faulty tailcap switch. I had a TLR1 lose brightness, it went to Pennsylvania for about a week and came back brighter than ever.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not sure it's fair to say Sage has "a lot more experience" than Perez, nor did that video address the more immediate uses of a light to control a subject which can lead to the "I shined myself with a mirror". Mirrors look awfully like walls if you umbrella or baseboard light in a building you're not familiar with.

Some years back I was in a building that had a long hallway, multiple levels, lots of doors (was an old theater). I dazzled myself and the deputy behind me with a mirror 75' away because we were both looking down the hall when I illuminated the far end.

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    They may be behind slightly, but if something goes wrong it's nice to have a U.S. Company to deal with. Fenix wanted me to send a light to China for a faulty tailcap switch. I had a TLR1 lose brightness, it went to Pennsylvania for about a week and came back brighter than ever.

I don't disagree. I own many lights from many companies.

I'll be picking up a TLR-7 soon, but I'm also waiting for Streamlight to come out with a 1,000 lumen TLR-1 HL. I'm about to switch over to a Streamlight HL-X hand held. 1,000 lumens/27,000 candela is perfect.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I'm not sure it's fair to say Sage has "a lot more experience" than Perez, nor did that video address the more immediate uses of a light to control a subject which can lead to the "I shined myself with a mirror". Mirrors look awfully like walls if you umbrella or baseboard light in a building you're not familiar with.

I know what Perez's experience is, and I know what Cowan's experience is. Cowan is more experienced with this subject than Perez.

If you carry a light with less lumens, because you're afraid of mirrors, then you should seek some low light/no light training.

Just out of curiosity, did you even watch the entire video? It's 20 minutes long and you commented 11 minutes after I posted it.

Last edited:

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know what Perez's experience is, and I know what Cowan's experience is. Cowan is more experienced with this subject than Perez.

If you carry a light with less lumens, because you're afraid of mirrors, then you should seek some low light/no light training.

Just out of curiosity, did you even watch the entire video? It's 20 minutes long and you commented 11 minutes after I posted it.

I admit I skipped the parts outside the building.

I personally don't care, I'll carry a damn light cannon into a building if it's dark. I'll just rest easy knowing anyone I point the light at will have permanent retinal damage.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom