Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Overgassed when suppressed

Just put a 10.3 BA Hanson profile barrel with pinned gas block in this new pistol upper I built. See pictures if you are interested in barrel length to handguard spacing. 9.25" handguard.

Unsuppressed the weapon functions great and ejects to the 3-4 o'clock. Suppressed it is overgassed ejecting to the 1oclock (not a shocker, I was expecting this)

Question, how do I mange the gas without getting an adjustable gas block when shotting suppressed? I am also not interested in having 2 uppers for Unsurpressed and suppressed shooting either.

Thanks BS!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

User Info Menu

What buffer weight are you running?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leadslinger972 View Post
    What buffer weight are you running?
    JP enterprises heavy captured silent spring.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Part # JPSCS2-15H2

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Karns View Post
    JP enterprises heavy captured silent spring.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Part # JPSCS2-15H2

You may want to try running the heaviest spring included with your kit.

Otherwise, I highly suggest getting a Sprinco Blue Spring and H3 buffer.

Marksman

User Info Menu

You sure it's overgassed? I used an identical setup with the Geissele Super 42 buffer/spring and it was too much. Caused all sorts of malfunctions. Put a standard carbine setup in and it runs like a top now.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If you don't want to change the gas block then your only option is a bcg with a gas regulator system.
    Gemtech makes one: https://www.silencershop.com/gemtech...t-carrier.html
    There are others: https://bootleginc.com/product/bootl...table-carrier/

Heavy buffer will heap, you might have to ditch the JP kit and go with a 5.5oz buffer or heavier.

Sic semper tyrannis

User Info Menu

Subscribed. MGI makes a Dfender oring for the extractor claw. I know that wont fix over gassing but it could fix ejection patterns. I am in process of doing a 10.5" faxon barrel build with a strike ind viper pdw stock that has a proprietary buffer/spring combo. My 7.5" upper runs but I dont supress it. So I will be sure to post my findings here when done.
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

I like guns because they're f*cking awesome.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Not sure why you would not want to get an adjustable gas block. It would make the rifle recoil less and it saves dumping all the extra gas down the pipe and into your upper. most good adjustable gas blocks have an adjustment screw that clicks when you move it so you set it to the minimum gas needed for cycling suppressed then take off the suppressor and then count the clicks you had to make to get it to cycle unsuppressed and then move back and forth between them for shooting either way. You don't have to have 2 uppers although with my setup I am never going to shoot unsuppressed anymore so I set it for suppressed cycling and am forgetting about it that is why god created QD mounts for the suppressors.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shrxfn View Post
    Not sure why you would not want to get an adjustable gas block. It would make the rifle recoil less and it saves dumping all the extra gas down the pipe and into your upper. most good adjustable gas blocks have an adjustment screw that clicks when you move it so you set it to the minimum gas needed for cycling suppressed then take off the suppressor and then count the clicks you had to make to get it to cycle unsuppressed and then move back and forth between them for shooting either way. You don't have to have 2 uppers although with my setup I am never going to shoot unsuppressed anymore so I set it for suppressed cycling and am forgetting about it that is why god created QD mounts for the suppressors.
    One reason may be that he prefers not to disassemble the rifle to install a gas block. Another reason may be the fact that adjustable gas blocks are a bandaid for improperly sized gas ports. If you can't get it to cycle properly by changing out buffer weights and springs, it's highly likely that the gas port is over sized.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leadslinger972 View Post
    One reason may be that he prefers not to disassemble the rifle to install a gas block. Another reason may be the fact that adjustable gas blocks are a bandaid for improperly sized gas ports. If you can't get it to cycle properly by changing out buffer weights and springs, it's highly likely that the gas port is over sized.
    ^^correct

I'll most likely go the heavy buffer route. Seems to be the cheapest, easiest, quickest option which is what I'm looking for now. Will look for a more permanent solution in the future.