Favorite deer rifle caliber?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    .303 British from a jungle carbine. Great brush gun! I haven't been hunting in a long time though. If I were starting from scratch I'd probably pick up a Ruger American in .243 or maybe .308 now. I'd put either 4x or 1-5x on it and be happy.

A5BLASTER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Zwolle
    Old thread but bringing back to life.

I have killed deer and hogs with 223,243,25-06,270,308,35 wheelen. All have done their job when I did mine.

But I tore up my right shoulder a few years back and just can't do them thumpers anymore. And at a point in my life where I don't like smaller then 6.5 mm bullets. So I went the 6.5 grendel route.

Now I have 1 ar 16 inch grendel as my everything short of 400 yard rifle and a howa mini bolt action grendel for my dedicated hunting/target rig.

Since moving to this cartridge and getting it figured out. And killing a few animals with both. I just don't feel under gunned on any thing I feel like killing and eating.

Plus the recoil is so light I can now get even more range time in through the year and keep my shooting skills nice and sharp.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Old thread but bringing back to life.

I have killed deer and hogs with 223,243,25-06,270,308,35 wheelen. All have done their job when I did mine.

But I tore up my right shoulder a few years back and just can't do them thumpers anymore. And at a point in my life where I don't like smaller then 6.5 mm bullets. So I went the 6.5 grendel route.

Now I have 1 ar 16 inch grendel as my everything short of 400 yard rifle and a howa mini bolt action grendel for my dedicated hunting/target rig.

Since moving to this cartridge and getting it figured out. And killing a few animals with both. I just don't feel under gunned on any thing I feel like killing and eating.

Plus the recoil is so light I can now get even more range time in through the year and keep my shooting skills nice and sharp.

I like my Grendel but it doesn’t cut me any slack. Placement is crucial. You need to hit the CNS or heart or you’ve got a runner. Additionally I’ve been disappointed with factory hornady. I’ve been threatening to learn to reload for years. I’ve even bought most the equipment but after a couple unrecovered deer last year I’m going to a solid copper Barnes crammed with as much powder as I can safely load. Hopefully I’m not too dumb to roll my own.:mamoru:

A5BLASTER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Zwolle
    I like my Grendel but it doesn’t cut me any slack. Placement is crucial. You need to hit the CNS or heart or you’ve got a runner. Additionally I’ve been disappointed with factory hornady. I’ve been threatening to learn to reload for years. I’ve even bought most the equipment but after a couple unrecovered deer last year I’m going to a solid copper Barnes crammed with as much powder as I can safely load. Hopefully I’m not too dumb to roll my own.:mamoru:

I can honestly say I have never had that much trouble putting down a deer with mine. Most I had one run was just short of 15 yards.

I have loads worked up for some all copper bullets but so far all my kills have been with 100 grain NBT ammo or 120 federal fusion.

I don't suggest the nbt on bone strikes like high shoulder/spine. And that's where you should be shooting if you want a 100% chance they will drop in their track no matter how big or fast the bullet is going.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I hunt the swamps and bottoms 99% of all my shots are 75yrds and less... and I hate tracking deer in hip boots so I usually use suppressed 45/70 1895g or suppressed encore for primitive
    and just got the encore .45acp to try out this year

followed by tikka CTR .308 if I get the chance to shoot further than 75yards and yes I pretty much only hunt suppressed now

Attachments

• 1895suppressed.jpg
      1895suppressed.jpg
      227.7 KB · Views: 146
    • 45encore.jpg
      45encore.jpg
      234 KB · Views: 140
    • encore4.jpg
      encore4.jpg
      248.6 KB · Views: 136
    • tikka1.jpg
      tikka1.jpg
      210 KB · Views: 138
    • tikka2.jpg
      tikka2.jpg
      232.6 KB · Views: 151
    • tikka4.jpg
      tikka4.jpg
      248.3 KB · Views: 135
    Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Is this the spot where we ask *just how dumb are you?* :eek3:

:D

Reloading is a whole new hobby that exists outside of shooting. It is it’s own independent sport that’s fun to do.

Lol if it can be done wrong I’m bound and determined to prove it can be done. :mamoru:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I can honestly say I have never had that much trouble putting down a deer with mine. Most I had one run was just short of 15 yards.

I have loads worked up for some all copper bullets but so far all my kills have been with 100 grain NBT ammo or 120 federal fusion.

I don't suggest the nbt on bone strikes like high shoulder/spine. And that's where you should be shooting if you want a 100% chance they will drop in their track no matter how big or fast the bullet is going.

So you are shooting high shoulder with the solid coppers with good results? That’s definitely what I am hoping for. The ole 30-06 has always been a hang flop proposition. So I have had some heartburn with the Grendel with the ballistic tips. I’m feeling better about putting the Grendel back to work now. Thanks.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    I've used a .270 for forty years. Just purchased a 7MM08 for a light kick. I am seventy two and had a rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder.

That 7-08 is a heck of a deer round. Bought my son one last year. My daughter took her first buck with it; dropped dead in less than 20 yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    My deer rifle of choice is a pre-freedom group marlin 336, with a $30 tasco. I usually use hornady american whitetail, its good enough to not have to track anything and reaches 200yds no problem.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    My trail cam was reading 108 degrees this afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom