User Info Menu

Win .308 SA

Marksman

User Info Menu

6.5 creedmoor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

I still think the .308 is the best all around caliber (if there is such a thing) for game animals in North America. Tons of ammo options to choose from; availability of ammo; the round performs just about the same regardless of environmental conditions and at different altitudes. Tried and true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

.308 for me, it’s a short action .30-06 with much less recoil, yet larger than a .270. There’s a reason LE & Military have used it for years for sniping; Special Forces as well.

All or nothing

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Bought a Ruger M77 MKII in ‘90 in .270 Win and it turned out to be a tack driver so it’s been my choice since then. Seconds are .44 mag pistol and 12ga slug gun.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

No sir, I ain't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Savant View Post
    .308 for me, it’s a short action .30-06 with much less recoil, yet larger than a .270. There’s a reason LE & Military have used it for years for sniping; Special Forces as well.
    The .308 shoots most of the same projectiles at about the same speeds as .30-06..... It ain't less recoil.
    Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop.

Professional Amateur

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Here lately for me it's mostly been a .308 for regular firearms season; .444 Marlin for "Primitive".

But I'm sure I'll have a .270 or .30-06 tag along, at some point this season.
    Sam
    Central/Pride, Evil Black Rifle Parish(EBR), LA

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’"
    -Col. Jeff Cooper

Iconoclast

User Info Menu

You won't go wrong with a .308 or .270, both great choices. I have used both with a Winchester Featherweight .308 carried the most for 40+ years.

That said, one of the advantages of being around for a while is being able to try different toys. I've harvested as many deer with a 30-06, .243 or .257 Roberts as any other caliber. For longer ranges I have a .300 Weatherby and a Winchester 1885 in .405 for primitive. Plus, I always have a .44 mag S&W along for shorter range opportunities.

I have done quite a few handgun hunts with a .243 XP 100 or 7mm JDJ Contender with great success on whitetail and antelope.

Lately I have been working with a .260 Remington XP that is promising.

The 6.5's are excellent and very popular. Look at the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem and 6.5x55 Swedish

Ultimately, you should find something you are comfortable with and can shoot well. It's all about shot placement. Since you already have a .270 available, that may be the way to go.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Marlin 336 in 32 Winchester Special
    No matter if you think you can or think you can't, you are probably right !!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gus McCrae View Post
    The .308 shoots most of the same projectiles at about the same speeds as .30-06..... It ain't less recoil.
    Less Casing length means less powder, which equals less recoil.