80% Builders on here.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Ok everyone. There is this big debate between 5dtactical and 80percentarms. I recently finished off and completely wore out a 80percentarms easy jig (gen1) after doing 9 lowers. So I decided to give 5d tactical a shot and order their version. It came in today with a billet lower I ordered at the same time. I'm not really impressed. First off, the 5D design requires that you partially disassemble your router in order to install their router base adapter. 80PercentArms does not require modification to your router in any way. 5D's online instructions are not complete and miss a step in setting it up ( Nothing is said about why the plug is screwed into the buffer tube plug, I had to figure it out on my own.), 80PA sends a printed instruction booklet with their product that is un-mistakingly clear and concise. 5D says that you can mill a lower in under 45mins. I would hope so, when it takes a half hour to set up the jig to begin with due to having to really "massage" everything into place so the screw holes line up. 5D's drill bits that they send in the tool kit are awesome and very much sharper than the ones 80PA provides, however the endmill they send is junk. I just ordered a new endmill after destroying the one they send after getting halfway through my first lower with it. Everyone has different opinions, but I personally find the 80PA setup a much easier/user friendly setup.

what say you?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I did light research in the router jigs. I does appear that they wear out quickly.

I think a small mill, like a seig x2, is a much better choice for the money. And versatile.

Top Bottom