Sig Sauer MPX .177 Pellet Air Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So I took a chance and purchased the Sig Sauer MPX .177 Air rifle and decided to write a little review of it.

First of all... weight is perfect! It feels exactly like my MPX. I am considering a grip replacement as the pistol grip feels slightly "slick" (maybe I will just stipple it). It's made by Sig... they even have a section of their website dedicated to it that you can purchased their ammo, CO2, etc.

Mechanics: It has a working charging handle which feels great... solid motion and locking action to charge the initial round. The Magazines are unique as they are more of a belt driven type design, extremely reliable and easy to load. It is SEMI-Auto only... which was a little disappointing, but probably for the best. I would have rather had the newer version with the keymod rail, but this particular model has the sig slotted handguard that take the proprietary sig rail sections that are screwed on. I also didn't like that the sling mount on the stock ins't functional (barrel). You figure they'd have cut a small groove to be able to use a QD Swivel. The dust cover doesn't open, but then there's really no need for it as it doesn't have a cartridge to eject or (like airsoft) a hop up to adjust. It also would have been nice to have the actual adjustable stock, but given the location of the CO2 bottle, I understand why it is the way it is.

Magazine: The magazine resembles an AR mag and not the MPX 9mm mag, but that's minimal and also understandable given the mechanics inside the unit.

Barrel: I didn't like that the flash hider is permanently affixed... which the outer barrel shroud is actually split in two pieces that connect to one another. The Flash hider is part of the forward assembly. I initially wanted to add a fake can (suppressor)... but that's not going to happen now with this finding.

Trigger: The trigger is tight and clunky, however, very manageable.

Gas System: The unit is powered by a 90 Gram CO2 bottle that fits inside the stock tube. It adds a good weight to the weapon and balances out the feel of it in you hands. I purchased the adapter to use the small 12 Gram bottles as well because i already have quite a few of them.

Sights: it comes with replica sig sights of the actual MPX, but they don't actually lock into place and feel a little "Chinese-y knocky offy" if you know what I mean. I won't use them anyway.

Sound: Using the 90 Gram bottle it sounds about like a suppressed 9mm. The Smaller bottles aren't as much pressure and are more like a suppressed 22.

Accuracy/Distance: This thing was dead on target at 25 yards... I need to take it somewhere other than my back yard to test further. Using synthetic pellets will definitely increase the FPS.

Accessories: I purchased a Weapon light as close to the M300 Surefire with pressure switch to emulate my real MPX, as well as an Aimpoint Clone.

I know 9mm is cheap to shoot... but I don't get a lot of range time anymore, so training with this gives me the look, feel and sound of my actual MPX in the comfort of my own home!

7262430-27036759-thumbnail.jpg

I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a training rifle that resembles the MPX.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That's one nice looking pellet gun. Thanks, for taking the time to review it for us

Top Bottom