Prohibited places .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Devils advocate here: If you are concealing it well, you don't really have to worry about this discussion.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'm speaking more in terms of general locations like bars , parades , etc. As compared to concealed carry .

Here's one
    §95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C.(1) The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority or listed in R.S. 14:95(G) or (H).

(2) The provisions of this Section shall not apply to a person possessing a firearm in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1 or 1379.3 on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet which has been issued a Class A-Restaurant permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950.

(3) The provisions of this Section shall not be construed to limit the ability of a sheriff or chief law enforcement officer to establish policies within his department or office regarding the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet by any law enforcement officer under his authority.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Acts 1985, No. 765, §1; Acts 2014, No. 147, §1.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    With a valid CHP you could be within the 1000' gun free school zone and Open Carry would be illegal inside that 1000'

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    For the record , I don't open carry . I was at a public event this past weekend and noticed a guy carrying and it got me curious .

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    With a valid CHP you could be within the 1000' gun free school zone and Open Carry would be illegal inside that 1000'

You can while you open carry as well. You just need to be:

A) in a vehicle
    B) on private property

Either way, Open Carry is as cool as herpes.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    You can while you open carry as well. You just need to be:

A) in a vehicle
    B) on private property

Either way, Open Carry is as cool as herpes.

I knew that.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record , I don't open carry . I was at a public event this past weekend and noticed a guy carrying and it got me curious .

Dan what kind of place was the person OC'ing? Got any detail without giving out the location?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Parking lot of a private business .Fundraiser for a local charity with food , etc. No alcohol . There were no issues , it just made me start thinking and wondering .

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    All BREC facilities: Part of the EBR Parish ordinances. Pretty sure all state offices as well. Several have metal detectors at the entrances to the buildings, at least in downtown Baton Rouge.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Parking lot of a private business .Fundraiser for a local charity with food , etc. No alcohol . There were no issues , it just made me start thinking and wondering .

From that info I think OC would be legal

- - - Updated - - -

All BREC facilities: Part of the EBR Parish ordinances. Pretty sure all state offices as well. Several have metal detectors at the entrances to the buildings, at least in downtown Baton Rouge.

BREC is off limit even if you have a CHP

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    Actually not just "firearms":
    Sec. 13:1011. - Possession of firearms at BREC parks.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession a firearm, pellet gun, BB gun or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon on property comprising parks, playgrounds, recreational areas or facilities owned or operated by the recreation and parks commission.
    (b) Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00), imprisoned in the jail for not more than six (6) months, or both.
    (City Code 1951, Title 13, § 107; Parish Code 1962, Title 13, § 417)

Seems contrary to "strict scrutiny" under the LA 2nd Amendment.

Sclaverand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    [FONT=&quot]LA RS 14:95.2.1
    §95.2.1. Illegal carrying of a firearm at a parade with any firearm used in the commission of a crime of violence[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A. Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons pursuant to R.S. 14:95 with any firearm used in the commission of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B), within one thousand feet of any parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity, shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than one year nor more than five years, or both. Any sentence issued pursuant to the provisions of this Subsection and any sentence issued pursuant to a violation of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B) shall be served consecutively.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]B. As used in this Section, the following words mean:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](1) "Firearm" means any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, submachine gun, or assault rifle, which is designed to fire or is capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition or from which a shot or projectile is discharged by an explosive.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](2) "Parade" for the purposes of this Section shall be defined as any celebration of Mardi Gras or directly related pre-Lenten or carnival related festivities, school parades, parish parades, state parades or municipal parades, or any demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity. [emphasis is mine][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](3) "Parade route" means any public sidewalk, street, highway, bridge, alley, road, or other public passageway upon which a parade travels.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]C. Lack of knowledge that the prohibited act occurred on or within one thousand feet of the parade route shall not be a defense.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Acts 2004, No. 661, §1.

Notice the public demonstration part. I believe, but I can't find specific legislation, that you can't carry in federal buildings either. Also, my understanding is that businesses can disallow carry on their premises even though it is not technically illegal. Although, if you refuse to leave, you can be charged with trespassing. Anyone know about the legality of open carry on a motorcycle/bicycle? I ride, but it would seem that since the gun is not completely enclosed within the vehicle, the laws might be subject to some interpretation in this regard. [/FONT]

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    The law you cited only prohibits carrying a firearm in commission of a felony. The relevant law for CHP applies to those "in" the permitted activity, as opposed to those "at" it. It was written this way because of an incident in New Orleans when a high school band chaperone discharged a weapon into the street and injured several people with the fragments.

This is a subject of much debate in legal circles and there is no definitive ruling yet.

The federal building law is part of the US Code. You'll see it cited in posters inside various federal facilities.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    The law you cited only prohibits carrying a firearm in commission of a felony. The relevant law for CHP applies to those "in" the permitted activity, as opposed to those "at" it. It was written this way because of an incident in New Orleans when a high school band chaperone discharged a weapon into the street and injured several people with the fragments.

This is a subject of much debate in legal circles and there is no definitive ruling yet.

The federal building law is part of the US Code. You'll see it cited in posters inside various federal facilities.

Yep. That's one of the grey area's of carrying concealed in Louisiana. Fortunately for me, I don't attend parades in the more urban cities.

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    [FONT=&amp]

Notice the public demonstration part. I believe, but I can't find specific legislation, that you can't carry in federal buildings either. Also, my understanding is that businesses can disallow carry on their premises even though it is not technically illegal. Although, if you refuse to leave, you can be charged with trespassing. Anyone know about the legality of open carry on a motorcycle/bicycle? I ride, but it would seem that since the gun is not completely enclosed within the vehicle, the laws might be subject to some interpretation in this regard. [/FONT]

If memory serves me correct, on a motorcycle is considered "in a vehicle". A bicycle, not sure as it's not actually a vehicle by law. At least not a petal bike.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom