For Sale Posts Cracking Me Up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    Anybody else notice this trend lately??

"I really NEED to sell this (fill in the gun model here), something came up, etc etc...

I don't have the original box, factory mags, accessories, etc etc... comes with one factory mag, maybe one WITH EXTENSION, some custom high dollar holster, or tons of accessories are shown, but not included

Low round count, works great, can guarantee...

I want $XXX (typically the same price I paid for everything, maybe plus/minus tax) FIRM! "

I mean come on...

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Seems to be the trend around here.

Currently, there is one dude spamming the classifieds. At one point, the entire home page was his sale threads only.

I love all the used Glocks for $500-600. Dudes think that Glocks are rare or something.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Yeah, it's gotten a little silly. Very low salesmanship savvy. Perhaps sunk cost fallacy or perceived value problems as well.
    Just as well; the recent market movement has me eyeing putting money towards investments rather than toys.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    And then some of the pics!! hahaha.

There is a term in real estate called curb appeal. It means EVERYTHING must look good, not just the focal point. So background tells you a lot about who/what you are buying.

I do agree with some of the pricing -- they list a price for a used weapon when I can buy a new one for the some price.....

Guns are like cars -- once you modify it 99.8% of the time you make it less desirable. The exception is adding a scope that can be removed without any noticeable markings.

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    the recent market movement has me eyeing putting money towards investments rather than toys.

The last brand new commercial Glock I bought was $502 after tax for a Gen 3 Glock 19.

Seeing how the second hand market is trending, I've made wiser purchases and invested more of my money in NFA items. The fine folks of Bayoushooter can keep their $550 used Glocks.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are two answers to this.

One is that people don't really think about resale when they buy a gun. They throw out the original packaging, do a bunch of stupid modifications that make the gun resale-proof (stippling is a great example of this), add a bunch of aftermarket crap to the gun (night sights, go-fast triggers, etc.), and then expect to sell the gun for some absurdly high price. And when they say that the gun only has 50 rounds through it, it tells me that this is an equipment masturbator that doesn't do much real shooting. The best reason (and probably the only reason) to buy this gun is to get it out of their incapable hands.

The other answer is that these are people looking to make illegal sales. If the buyer is a felon and can't procure a gun through lawful means, then I guess paying a few extra dollars for a Glock isn't a big deal if you plan to use the weapon in the commission of a crime.

Mike

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    It's the same as any other pricing. If you don't like it, just don't buy it, or try to negotiate. Even if the ad says "firm" I would think that if it sits there for a month or more, the seller may be willing to deal a bit. The worst thing that happens is the seller says no. Too many grumpy people on these forums!

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    It's the same as any other pricing. If you don't like it, just don't buy it, or try to negotiate. Even if the ad says "firm" I would think that if it sits there for a month or more, the seller may be willing to deal a bit. The worst thing that happens is the seller says no. Too many grumpy people on these forums!

The prices are just funny. It doesn't upset me.

What upsets me is when people spam the classifieds, when they could have put all 38 flashlights they are selling into one thread.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I have seen this with some of the AR for sale threads as well. I think people buy something then if they don't use it an time passes they want to sell it and they think this is what I paid for it (sometimes they bought during the high price boom a few years ago) and think this is what it must still be worth. I have seen some PSA rifles where it is the standard GI setup with regular GI hanguard and they want $900 for the rifle. I don't think they have done their research and realized that ARs are now running ~$500 with bells and whistles. I want to reply to the ads sometimes and say did you look and see how much someone can buy a new one for but I always hold off as it is their gun to sell not mine.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The last brand new commercial Glock I bought was $502 after tax for a Gen 3 Glock 19.

Seeing how the second hand market is trending, I've made wiser purchases and invested more of my money in NFA items. The fine folks of Bayoushooter can keep their $550 used Glocks.

But ya do not get the nod nod wink wink, It is no sales tax! And no paperwork! That's worth tons!
    As well as I, shot it with ammo, that ammo cost $ so it is broken in. And I am includeding a like new Uncle Mikes Holster.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    But ya do not get the nod nod wink wink, It is no sales tax! And no paperwork! That's worth tons!
    As well as I, shot it with ammo, that ammo cost $ so it is broken in. And I am includeding a like new Uncle Mikes Holster.

I've bought a few guns with no sales tax, brand new, less than what they are asking. If anyone were stupid enough to tell me it's broken in, I'd laugh at them and walk away.

99% of the fudd derps out there ignorantly remove the factory anti-seize.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I would like to think that many people who post for sale ads bump the price up artificially knowing that some dipshit is going to offer them much less than what it's worth anyway. Basically, starting off with a highball in order to counter the inevitable lowball.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I would like to think that many people who post for sale ads bump the price up artificially knowing that some dipshit is going to offer them much less than what it's worth anyway. Basically, starting off with a highball in order to counter the inevitable lowball.

EXACTLY! You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Everyone wants a deal or something for nothing. Since we're on the subject of Glocks... even if you have a Glock 19 with a new threaded barrel, Trigger, etc. tricked out with hundreds of dollars in add-no's, upgrades, extra holsters, ammo, etc. You will get offers based on "a used G19"... forget everything put into it. "I can get a used G19 on Gunbroker for $200 less"... Then go get it!!! (Don't forget to budget enough to cover tax, shipping, transfer fees, etc!)

That's also how some of the gun shops/pawn shops operate... I can't tell you how many times I've seen brand new firearms purchased for $200 cash or less. I'm talking $300 for an AR with EOTech and extras in a case!! BRAND NEW Glocks purchased for $200... and it's not the gun store or Pawn Shops fault... its because something either NEEDS the money RIGHT NOW... or they don't want to wait and consign the item. They want to buy something else YESTERDAY. Then they turn around and mark it up BASED ON all the upgrades/extras and stick it on the shelf. I've literally seen a YUGO MPAP m92 with drum mag, optic, 3 or 4 Bakelite magazines, 5 or 6 Metal mags, and in a case walk in with "What can I get for this?"... and the response is "$200"... DONE! ($300 if you put it toward the purchase of another firearm) -- I am exaggerating slightly... but that's pretty damn close to reality.

Of course everything is held to verify it hasn't been stolen... but if you stood outside of a pawn shop or even opened a store with a sign "CASH FOR GUNS!" you could make a killing!! (No pun intended)

The kicker is... a lot of them (the sellers) have tried to sell the item online as mentioned above... but then gave up when no one bought it!!! So they end up taking a HUGE hit just because they don't want to lower the price online, give in to an offer, or they just are impatient.

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I’ve hooked fish by the tail reeling in an empty hook. If they keep casting eventually they will hook someone. But it won’t be me or 99% of members here that know their a$$ from a hole on the ground.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I sold a Gen 4 Glock and accessories, new night sights, new SKC holster and mag pouch plus 100 rounds of HST 124+P for $500.
    Pistol was carried but had a very low round count.
    I prefer to price something reasonable that will sell without all the low ball hassle.

I do not respond to the used firearms at retail or retail+ price.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

So, here's the hostility I'm talking about. I mean, if someone offers $300 for a nice P226, I get it, that's ridiculous. But, if you have something priced at NIB levels and you're offered a more reasonable used price, how can you be mad at that? Or even if you're offered a "lowball" price, you can just say no and end the conversation. Or if you are a little more savvy, and not so cranky (you're too young to be so cranky, Austin) you could negotiate a sale that is palatable to both parties. A good negotiation is one that leaves both parties satisfied. By getting all pissed off at the lowball offer (even the $300 guy) you may be losing a sale that, had you taken the time to talk to the person, would have ended up as a win-win.

It always amazes me when people dealing in used items are unwilling or hostile to negotiating. It really doesn't make any sense, unless you absolutely just don't care if you sell it or not.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So, here's the hostility I'm talking about. I mean, if someone offers $300 for a nice P226, I get it, that's ridiculous. But, if you have something priced at NIB levels and you're offered a more reasonable used price, how can you be mad at that? Or even if you're offered a "lowball" price, you can just say no and end the conversation. Or if you are a little more savvy, and not so cranky (you're too young to be so cranky, Austin) you could negotiate a sale that is palatable to both parties. A good negotiation is one that leaves both parties satisfied. By getting all pissed off at the lowball offer (even the $300 guy) you may be losing a sale that, had you taken the time to talk to the person, would have ended up as a win-win.

It always amazes me when people dealing in used items are unwilling or hostile to negotiating. It really doesn't make any sense, unless you absolutely just don't care if you sell it or not.

A good negotiation is one where both parties are willing to work with each other and meet near a fair middle ground. I find that many people who lowball are not willing to negotiate or work with you.

I have bought and sold quite a few items on here and on other sites. Most of the time, people are very pleasant and easy to work with. Sometimes, though, absurd offers come through and can be handled accordingly. Two common tactics, in this case, are a "Bogey" or a "Flinch." I opted for a combination of both in the example of the guy offering me $300 (which I assumed was a joke, honestly). I'm not offended by the $300 dollar offer or by any of the low offers I have received on previous items. I get it, it happens.

I'm also not cranky. If I came across that way, I apologize. Sometimes people need to be called out for ridiculous offers though. Example: I posted some Smith and Wesson revolvers on here a few months back that could easily go for $900+ in the near new condition they were in, individually. I had a few people offer me $600 for one / $1200 for both, and I entertained the offers as they were somewhat reasonable. I also had people offer me $300 for BOTH. Someone even tried to convince me to sell him one of them for $250. Either these people didn't know what they were worth, didn't value them the same as I / the market did, or were trying to pull a fast one on me.

Top Bottom