Looking for a Gunsmith

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    In the Baton Rouge/Gonzales area who isn't/won't be condescending when asked questions. Can anyone suggest a place or person?

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    That is the normal response from gunsmiths. It is part of their training.
    The only time I've ever been condescending over the phone is when I've been asked to do something illegal... and yes, I get asked to do things that are quite illegal on a regular basis. It's usually because of ignorance of the law( I'm usually fairly gentle on these guys, and only inform them of the laws), but there are times I'm asked for services that the caller knows are outside of what are legal and the caller will usually acknowledge what they're about to ask before stating the request. With these guys I'm usually very to the point and, at times, condescending.
    So, to clarify the statement. This is not part of our training. There are some people that are just jerks that happen to be gunsmiths, and have no business dealing with the public. They probably didn't get enough hugs when they were children, or something.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The only time I've ever been condescending over the phone is when I've been asked to do something illegal... and yes, I get asked to do things that are quite illegal on a regular basis. It's usually because of ignorance of the law( I'm usually fairly genital on these guys, and only inform them of the laws), but there are times I'm asked for services that the caller knows are outside of what are legal and the caller will usually acknowledge what they're about to ask before stating the request. With these guys I'm usually very to the point and, at times, condescending.
    So, to clarify the statement. This is not part of our training. There are some people that are just jerks, and have no business dealing with the public. They probably didn't get enough hugs when they were children, or something.

Excellent rebuttal. We live in an age of sensitive, entitled, soft snowflakes. Not saying the OP is. Did you guys see the very recent news article of a young couple (ages 24/27), sold everything, worked/saved a couple years, purchased a used sailboat in FL, planned to live on said sailboat for a couple years travelling the seas. They had zero prior sailing experience, ended up sunk on the second day. Now there is a gofundme account to generate funds for their recovery. They be broke, and all their stuff floated away. And their sailboat, minus keel, is just more trash in our oceans. The CG said it would cost $10k to salvage.

Hard times create strong men.
    Strong men create good times.
    Good times create weak men.
    Weak men create hard times.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I don't think it's condensation as a personality trait with gunsmiths but rather that they've been asked a certain question by certain types of individuals SOOO many times that they already know, in a general sense, how their advice is going to be taken. It's the individuals that ask for your recommendations, badger you day and night, tell you why your opinion is wrong, can't make up their mind, and then do something completely different. Not saying they're not out there, but I've yet to meet another gunsmith that wouldn't take time away from their shop or out of their day to answer sincere questions from a fellow shooter.

If you really want to disarm a gunsmith (no pun intended) tell him that you're not sure if you're asking the right question before you ask it. It's about an 82.4% chance that you're not. If he's condescending after that then you'll know he's just a major a-hole.....like me! :)

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    The only time I've ever been condescending over the phone is when I've been asked to do something illegal... and yes, I get asked to do things that are quite illegal on a regular basis. It's usually because of ignorance of the law( I'm usually fairly genital on these guys, and only inform them of the laws), but there are times I'm asked for services that the caller knows are outside of what are legal and the caller will usually acknowledge what they're about to ask before stating the request. With these guys I'm usually very to the point and, at times, condescending.
    So, to clarify the statement. This is not part of our training. There are some people that are just jerks that happen to be gunsmiths, and have no business dealing with the public. They probably didn't get enough hugs when they were children, or something.

Great reply but I had to laugh at the typo!!! Read what you have in the parenthesis!! Yeah, I laughed!! :mamoru::mamoru:

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    These two smiths work on lever action rifles? My Dad has one that is not loading properly. Just bought it, thought it was a cleanliness issue but still is not resolved.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    These two smiths work on lever action rifles? My Dad has one that is not loading properly. Just bought it, thought it was a cleanliness issue but still is not resolved.
    I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you. Feel free to give me a call 225-244-1686

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom