Where do keep your gun in your vehicle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Wow...I'm impressed. I think this is perhaps the first post I've seen from you with so much useful information and without any comments directed toward the poster to whom you are replying. And I'm not going to dispute everything. In fact, I'm going to look into the modwing to see if it may work. I never liked the single attachment point of a lot of IWB holsters. My preference has always been an OWB kydex holster at the 2:00. The "wings" of the holster are bent in a way to help push the grip of the gun closer to the body.

While I will stipulate AIWB carry is better than IWB at the 4:00, I can't agree it's for everyone in every situation. And as such, there can be justification for a mounted holster in the vehicle. That being said, a magnet is a poor choice in a crash from a physics perspective. A 50 mph crash that stops the vehicle in 2 feet (like hitting a tree or a wall) gives that 32 ounce Glock an effective weight of over 80 pounds. My personal opinion is a one size fits all means it fits everything "ok" and nothing "really well." In my opinion, the best solution if one feels they must mount a weapon in a vehicle is to use some sort of a rigid mount and a removable holster with active retention. A mounting solution can be created using Ram Mount parts as long as a good base can be located. A short arm can be made to connect to a QLS or RTI setup. That way, the holster can be easily removed from view. While most vehicle break ins are from people walking down the street pulling door handles, seeing something inside the car may convince the thief to aggressively target a specific car.

I will leave you (and anyone else who actually cares to learn) with the one thing I believe in; Whatever you do, do it well. Too many folks buy into X brand, product, or methodology without ever having tried it for themselves. If you are ever provided with methods outside of your comfort zone, do not dismiss them until you have experience with them (and I don't mean 5 seconds of wearing a holster AIWB and giving up.)

I can conceal all of this under a t-shirt and it's surprisingly more comfortable than a G19 standalone.

39656532652_7748818643_c.jpg

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    So apendix carry for seated use... I have not really thought about this so let me pick some brains.

Leadslinger972, your info has been eye opening, but I have some thoughts.

I am not skinny, at all, even on sundays. And I tend to wear my waistline under the "problem areas", so think well below the navel.

I am seated right now, and looking at Austin"s pics I just do not have the "real estate" to have a securely attached holster inside the belt and not have the lower portion pushing on my thigh or prodding my "sensitive bits"... Standing would not be an issue for AIWB, as I have tried that with reasonable success.

I am sure all of the thinner dudes here likely wear their pants higher up (as they are supposed to be worn) and have more distance from the belt down to the thigh area. Looks to be the case in Austins pics, at least.

Thoughts? I am in process with eating healthy and weight loss... uphill battle, getting close to 40.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    So apendix carry for seated use... I have not really thought about this so let me pick some brains.

I am not skinny, at all, even on sundays. And I tend to wear my waistline under the "problem areas", so think well below the navel.

I am seated right now, and looking at Austin"s pics I just do not have the "real estate" to have a securely attached holster inside the belt and not have the lower portion pushing on my thigh or prodding my "sensitive bits"... Standing would not be an issue for AIWB, as I have tried that with reasonable success.

I am sure all of the thinner dudes here likely wear their pants higher up (as they are supposed to be worn) and have more distance from the belt down to the thigh area. Looks to be the case in Austins pics, at least.

Thoughts? I am in process with eating healthy and weight loss... uphill battle, getting close to 40.

For those that have met me in person, I'm not exactly a small guy.

Up until recently, I was under the assumption that the only way to carry AIWB in a vehicle was with 0* of cant. A friend of mine, who had learned otherwise from a few detectives he worked with, showed me how he carries when seated for long periods of time.

I posted the photo a few pages back. If you notice, his gun is canted in the opposite direction of what most people do. Yes, this points directly at your "sensitive bits," but it does not touch them, nor does it poke your leg. However, I do not carry this way and have found that holster selection and ride height plays a large part in keeping the firearm from being uncomfortable.

From my experience, I can honestly say that I have never carried a firearm OWB or IWB and considered it to be comfortable. Even on a duty belt it's not comfortable, but it also isn't uncomfortable. I always try to have people understand that it's not uncomfortable. Having driven over 600 miles in a day carrying AIWB, I have learned how to move the holster around to make it more tolerable. I carry a G34 most times, a comped 19 sometimes, and a G42 when it's the only option.

26112099_10156014922884324_1742973893804802801_n.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Try to pull the holster and belt up where it is more or less over your stomach while driving. You may have to get pants with a waist that is 2 inchs bigger than normal.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Try to pull the holster and belt up where it is more or less over your stomach while driving. You may have to get pants with a waist that is 2 inchs bigger than normal.

+1

Just for reference, this is a Glock 17 with a KKM 4 port comp AIWB carried in a PHLster Spotlight while seated in a vehicle. Notice how high it is riding.

38635025684_aa43024dd2_z.jpg

39207472401_dc0157c820_z.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Depending on what pants I am wearing, I have loosened my belt one notch while driving on long road trips and actually let the bottom of the mag ride almost 2 to 3 inches above my belly button haha.

As was mentioned above: Carrying will never be the most comfortable thing. Guns are oddly shaped and made of tough materials. But it's worth it.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks for the pics and info guys, makes sense to have the gun ride higher so that the muzzle can clear while seated. The rearward cant would help as well. Dropping a few dozen pounds would really help, but... in good time I guess.

I generally favor 5 oclock (belt buckle at 12, azz crack at 6) carry when wandering around, as that places the gun at my least "well padded" area on the waist. But not easy to get to while seated for sure. I have looked at a fixed holster mounted in the car to transfer the gun into while seated, but the amount of handling is an issue, and I do feel I will forget and either leave the gun on me, or worse, leave it in the car.

Some sort of keypad/biometric locking holster would be good for vehicle carry, not sure if that exists.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Some sort of keypad/biometric locking holster would be good for vehicle carry, not sure if that exists.

If you have a phone with a fingerprint reader, have you ever not opened your phone on the first try and had to reposition your finger for another try? I would suggest staying away from a holster with that feature if one exists unless you are just looking for gun storage. And if that's the case, you can bolt a lockbox in the trunk. If your intent is more readily accessible weapon in a worst case scenario, you may not want to rely on a feature easily thwarted by something so simple as some water on your finger left over from when you set down the drink cup from the Raising Cane's Box Combo. I believe guns and biometrics are still a novelty and I would recommend against betting your life on the technology.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks for the pics and info guys, makes sense to have the gun ride higher so that the muzzle can clear while seated. The rearward cant would help as well. Dropping a few dozen pounds would really help, but... in good time I guess.

I generally favor 5 oclock (belt buckle at 12, azz crack at 6) carry when wandering around, as that places the gun at my least "well padded" area on the waist. But not easy to get to while seated for sure. I have looked at a fixed holster mounted in the car to transfer the gun into while seated, but the amount of handling is an issue, and I do feel I will forget and either leave the gun on me, or worse, leave it in the car.

5 o'clock also makes it nearly impossible to draw a weapon from your back...and while driving, seated in a restaurant, movie theater, etc.

I'd recommend getting a quality appendix holster and just trying it for a week or two. I bet you'll get used to it very quickly. Plus your draw speed will increase by a lot.

Regarding locking it in a vehicle or mounting it somewhere: I'd argue again to keep it on you all the time you're in the vehicle. Unless work doesn't let you have a gun on you, there won't be too many other times where you'd actually need to leave it inside.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Carry your gun on your person. AIWB isn’t that bad. I carry full size glocks all the time. The RCS Eidolon is my favorite for this, I just wish they would make one to take these guns with wml’s on them.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I generally favor 5 oclock (belt buckle at 12, azz crack at 6) carry when wandering around, as that places the gun at my least "well padded" area on the waist. But not easy to get to while seated for sure. [/QUOTE

The 5 O Clock position is Not Good for handgun retention. Ask anyone with a Quality Martial Arts background.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I generally favor 5 oclock (belt buckle at 12, azz crack at 6) carry when wandering around, as that places the gun at my least "well padded" area on the waist. But not easy to get to while seated for sure. [/QUOTE

The 5 O Clock position is Not Good for handgun retention. Ask anyone with a Quality Martial Arts background.

It's also very bad if you fall on your back.

Gamma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Unfortunately, for where I'm from you have to keep a gun in a locked box in your trunk to legally have it stored. Welcome to the DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia)

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Unfortunately, for where I'm from you have to keep a gun in a locked box in your trunk to legally have it stored. Welcome to the DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia)

That's convenient.
    Very considerate, too. Don't want no carjackers gettin' hurt.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

You should move bro.

Top Bottom