Where do keep your gun in your vehicle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • myles

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I conceal carry every day and I usually keep my concealed carry gun holstered when I get in my truck. I've never found a need to unholster, unless I'm going on a long trip. That being said, in the past I've kept a second handgun either in my glove box or center console. Recently I just purchased a new truck and I'm looking at other places to keep my truck gun that makes it more "available" and quicker to reach if needed.

I've seen the gun magnets and mounting holsters. Where do you keep your gun in your vehicle?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't leave guns in the car, but when I absolutely need to (going to a federal building etc). I will put it in a lock box thats tethered to the seat rail with a metal cord.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    In the holster.
    In my pants.
    When I'm in the vehicle.

Magnets are stupid and irresponsible.

The best place to access your gun is in the holster on your person.

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    I agree with Console Vault when going into a prohibited place. When in the vehicle, Alien Gear has some mounts where you can clip the carry holster into the mounts while in a vehicle.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I think you guys are missing the OP's point. He wants a solution that will allow him more accessibility than storing in the console or glove box.

What kinda Truck? New Chevy's have a cubby hole behind the dash. And their center consoles are HUGE and there's Vaults made for them. If it's a ford or toyota, I have no idea, but some good options were listed for toyotas.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I use the Gum Creek mount. Easily mounts under the steering column of my 2001 Silverado and allows for super quick access if needed. Also, it's only like $30. I highly recommend it.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I generally do not CC but I to keep a firearm in my Jeep. Since I can't really lock a soft top Jeep, I installed a Tuffy underseat gun safe. It does not tether to a seat mount. I had to remove the seat mounting bolts and the mounting feet for the vault fit under the seat feet and the bolts for the front seat go through the mounting feet for the safe. If they want to take it they will need to remove the whole seat. Its made of heavy gauge steel. If they want to pry it open they can't use full size crowbars due to the location. Best of all if you don't know to look under there you would never see it.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-282-tuffy-jk-conceal-carry-drivers-side-security-drawer.aspx

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I conceal carry every day and I usually keep my concealed carry gun holstered when I get in my truck. I've never found a need to unholster, unless I'm going on a long trip. That being said, in the past I've kept a second handgun either in my glove box or center console. Recently I just purchased a new truck and I'm looking at other places to keep my truck gun that makes it more "available" and quicker to reach if needed.

I've seen the gun magnets and mounting holsters. Where do you keep your gun in your vehicle?

I would avoid magnets and doodads. I have seen a number of console lock boxes, locking duty weapon scabbards, and ceiling mounts for long guns. I would go with whichever one suits your geographic culture. If your in a non rural area and can't heavily tint your windows, I recommend keeping it out of sight. Lock box or ceiling mounts (also locked) but out of sight in most cases. The mount depends on the size of the gun... Always locked and preferably out of sight. Anchor the mount with an ANSI cut resistant cable to a secure anchor in the vehicle so if someone tries to smash n grab it will take them 20minutes to defeat the mount. This is ample time for a response.

Xb40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2015
    Springville, Al.
    I generally do not CC but I to keep a firearm in my Jeep. Since I can't really lock a soft top Jeep, I installed a Tuffy underseat gun safe. It does not tether to a seat mount. I had to remove the seat mounting bolts and the mounting feet for the vault fit under the seat feet and the bolts for the front seat go through the mounting feet for the safe. If they want to take it they will need to remove the whole seat. Its made of heavy gauge steel. If they want to pry it open they can't use full size crowbars due to the location. Best of all if you don't know to look under there you would never see it.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-282-tuffy-jk-conceal-carry-drivers-side-security-drawer.aspx
    I would assume the main purpose of having a gun in your vehicle would be for personal protection. That being said, if it is not easily accessable, why have it. Also, having it on your person and holstered isn't the best solution, unless you use a cross draw. So, easy access, out of sight, presents problems. I have a Ram truck, and I am still looking for a GOOD solution. If you have children, that adds to the problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Mine tucks nicely directly under the steering column. It is easy and fast to access. I use a IWB holster. The hook on the clip catches the lip on the pannel very nicely. And yes, it only stays there while I’m in the vehicle.
    F7Fhb

ITIS593.jpg

Last edited:

bullitt31

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2017
    Pineville, LA
    I saw this once somewhere and it's what's in my head for when I finally get into a new Jeep. It's just a flat piece of metal that screws in somewhere that allows you to throw on one of those cheap uncle mike's holsters or whatever other holster you may want. The uncle mikes allows you switch the clip to either side to suit your needs and some flexibility in the gun you carry. It also has an extra mag pouch. Plus, it's really easy to just remove the holster from the mounted flat bar and it looks inconspicuous enough. +1 on locking it somewhere if i'm not in the vehicle and i"m worried about it getting stolen, but this seems really sensible to me to have easy access when i'm in there but be able to remove it if necessary, and no one is the wiser. I hope my picture makes sense:
    Holster.jpg

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Mine tucks nicely directly under the steering column. It is easy and fast to access. I use a IWB holster. The hook on the clip catches the lip on the pannel very nicely. And yes, it only stays there while I’m in the vehicle.
    F7Fhb

That's gonna be an awesome projectile when you get in a crash.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom