Where do keep your gun in your vehicle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I don't "keep" a gun in my vehicle, and I hope you all don't either. Take it inside when you get home, please. For all of us.

Anything 'accessible' isn't going to be secure. It will be easily stolen, or if you are in a wreck, it will go zinging around your cab.
    Vehicle safes are great if you have to unholster to go in somewhere (e.g. Unholster. lock it up. go in. come out. retrieve gun. reholster.). Way better than sticking a loaded gun in an unlocked glove box.

Other than that, gun stays in my holster all the time. Practice drawing from your holster while seated.

If there was a product that had some active retention like a thumbdrive or ALS, and a solid mount, and you were only using it while driving (get in, unholster, place in mounted holster, drive, swap holsters again before leaving vehicle), that might make sense, but I still wouldn't use it. That adds too much unneeded gun handling during the day.

Just practice drawing while seated. If you have to adjust where or how you carry, that's a way better solution than any other plan I've seen. You are probably seated for significant portions of the day. If you can't draw while seated, you're doing it wrong.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    That’s a great point to consider. It’s locked in pretty well. I lowered the steering column so it’s in pretty firmly.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    If there was a product that had some active retention like a thumbdrive or ALS, and a solid mount, and you were only using it while driving (get in, unholster, place in mounted holster, drive, swap holsters again before leaving vehicle), that might make sense, but I still wouldn't use it. That adds too much unneeded gun handling during the day.

A Safariland QLS Mount gives enough clearance to activate the ALS.

I've seen them mounted under the dash. Best part is you can detach the holster and put it back on your belt (if you open carry).

On your person is the best method, always. If you want a gun attached to your vehicle, have two guns.

Holster-Car-Mount.jpg

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Gum Creek

This is the Gum Creek mount I was talking about. I love it. Obviously, I do not leave the firearm there if I am not in the vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_5954.jpg
      IMG_5954.jpg
      225.6 KB · Views: 97
    • IMG_5956.jpg
      IMG_5956.jpg
      226.8 KB · Views: 96
    • IMG_2748.jpg
      IMG_2748.jpg
      228 KB · Views: 89
    • IMG_2749.jpg
      IMG_2749.jpg
      201.8 KB · Views: 98

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Not sure why the pictures posted sideways, but you get the idea.

MathGeek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    Being that internet forums are not nearly as private as we may hope, I practice and recommend not divulging details of personal carry habits or the locations of expensive valuables and essential defensive tools on the internet.

Members of my immediate household are the only parties who know the answers to this level of security-related question.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I don't "keep" a gun in my vehicle, and I hope you all don't either. Take it inside when you get home, please. For all of us.

Anything 'accessible' isn't going to be secure. It will be easily stolen, or if you are in a wreck, it will go zinging around your cab.
    Vehicle safes are great if you have to unholster to go in somewhere (e.g. Unholster. lock it up. go in. come out. retrieve gun. reholster.). Way better than sticking a loaded gun in an unlocked glove box.

Other than that, gun stays in my holster all the time. Practice drawing from your holster while seated.

Just practice drawing while seated. If you have to adjust where or how you carry, that's a way better solution than any other plan I've seen. You are probably seated for significant portions of the day. If you can't draw while seated, you're doing it wrong.

+1

I use a R/H Stealthgear OWB holster at 2-2:30 and its an easy draw seated, even with the shoulder harness fastened, if my shirt is tucked behind it. The biggest thing is it not being covered by a shirt that you are sitting on.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Being that internet forums are not nearly as private as we may hope, I practice and recommend not divulging details of personal carry habits or the locations of expensive valuables and essential defensive tools on the internet.

Members of my immediate household are the only parties who know the answers to this level of security-related question.

Considering you've made 3 post in the past 3 years, I think it's okay to divulge details of personal carry habits, but thanks for sharing your disdain for the current topic.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the Gum Creek mount I was talking about. I love it. Obviously, I do not leave the firearm there if I am not in the vehicle.

What are you going to do if you get into an accident?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Also I would imagine a magnet if positioned in certain spots could possibly disengage the firing pin block.

Magnets are stupid and irresponsible.

The best place to access your gun is in the holster on your person.

Great post. Never would have thought about that, and I bet you are correct.

Not a big deal really if you think about it. The firing pin block in a Glock handgun is a mechanical preventative against discharge if the gun is dropped. As soon as you pull ur Glock off the magnet, the FP block is active again (think milliseconds). So unless you plan to drop ur Glock with the magnet attached to it, its a non-issue. And you'd have to drop it from > 2 or 3 feet to have an accidental discharge with a stock Glock. And the handgun magnets I've seen are to be attached permanently, like with screws. And all of this only comes into play only if you attach ur Glock just right, to get the FP block piston to lift/retract against its spring. Which we don't even know if that can really occur using a magnet mount without thorough testing.

A magnetic mount for a handgun in a vehicle is still a great idea. The one they sell at amazon has a 25 pound lifting force so its not like ur gun is just gonna fall off the mount. People who say otherwise have never owned one, never tried one. Just plain ignorance.

Like attached to the lower dash on the driver's side, its right there.......BAM. No fooling around in a center console or glove box.

Or at home somewhere....your bed, night stand, above a closet door, ect.

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Not a big deal really if you think about it. The firing pin block in a Glock handgun is a mechanical preventative against discharge if the gun is dropped. As soon as you pull ur Glock off the magnet, the FP block is active again (think fraction of a second). So unless you plan to drop ur Glock with the magnet attached to it, its a non-issue. And you'd have to drop it from > 2 or 3 feet to have an accidental discharge with a stock Glock. And the handgun magnets I've seen are to be attached permanently, like with screws. And all of this only comes into play only if you attach ur Glock just right, to get the FP block piston to lift/retract against its spring. Which we don't even know if that can really occur in a Glock to begin with using a magnet mount.

A magnetic mount for a handgun in a vehicle is still a great idea. The one they sell at amazon has a 25 pound lifting force so its not like ur gun is just gonna fall off the mount. People who say otherwise have never owned one, never tried one. Just plain ignorance.

Like attached to the lower dash on the driver's side, its right there.......BAM. No fooling around in a center console or glove box.

Or at home somewhere....your bed, night stand, above a closet door, ect.

Speaking from experience with automobile accidents and firearms, having a firearm unsecured (a magnet) is a bad idea. At least permanently attach a retention holster, such as the Safariland ALS holster I posted above.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    leadslinger972[COLOR=silver said:
    -[/COLOR]

What are you going to do if you get into an accident?

Trust me, any accident short of flipping your vehicle and this mount, and the firearm in it, will still be safe and secure. Well, unless you flip, like I said, or it's a very bad front-end collision and your steering column ends up in the back seat. Other than that, this mount and your firearm will be right where you set it.

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    A Safariland QLS Mount gives enough clearance to activate the ALS.

I've seen them mounted under the dash. Best part is you can detach the holster and put it back on your belt (if you open carry).

On your person is the best method, always. If you want a gun attached to your vehicle, have two guns.
    That's looks legit. But, as I said, I still wouldn't use it.
    Two guns doesn't really help.
    When you run into the store you'd still have to remove it, lock it up, come back, unlock, and reholster. That's still a lot of gun handling and anything else is irresponsible.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Trust me, any accident short of flipping your vehicle and this mount, and the firearm in it, will still be safe and secure. Well, unless you flip, like I said, or it's a very bad front-end collision and your steering column ends up in the back seat. Other than that, this mount and your firearm will be right where you set it.

Yes, I will trust someone on the internet rather than my own personal experience with automobile accidents and firearms retention, as well as the research I've done on the subject.

If the holster does not have active retention, Murphy will show you you're wrong.

That's looks legit. But, as I said, I still wouldn't use it.
    Two guns doesn't really help.
    When you run into the store you'd still have to remove it, lock it up, come back, unlock, and reholster. That's still a lot of gun handling and anything else is irresponsible.

I agree, I'm just giving these guys better options. There is no better place than on your person.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Yes, I will trust someone on the internet rather than my own personal experience with automobile accidents and firearms retention, as well as the research I've done on the subject.

If the holster does not have active retention, Murphy will show you you're wrong.

I agree, I'm just giving these guys better options. There is no better place than on your person.

Rereading the OP, I see he did actually ask about a 2nd gun, more accessible in the car. I'm sure you'd agree the best place for a 2nd gun is also on your person.

I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned ankle holsters.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Rereading the OP, I see he did actually ask about a 2nd gun, more accessible in the car. I'm sure you'd agree the best place for a 2nd gun is also on your person.

I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned ankle holsters.

The majority of this thread thinks that putting your gun under the steering wheel makes them faster than Miculek. I don't foresee anyone mentioning ankle holster usage.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I can't imagine too many scenarios where I would be grabbing a gun in my vehicle instead of flooring the gas pedal. Any situation where grabbing a weapon is needed, having it on my person seems better 99.999% of the time.

If there is some sort of accident, I will likely be able to reach myself. If not, well, I am probably screwed anyway. But things in the vehicle, regardless of how attached they are, cannot be guaranteed to stay in place and be where I put them.

It seems a lot of people focus on being able to get to a weapon fast. If I have to clear a cover garment, seatbelt, etc, it is still faster than looking around a vehicle for something that could have come loose. Reliability and safety > speed.

archbru

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    I carry a 1911 in a versa max ii. When I get in my I truck I either leave it holstered or I jam it in between the leather seats and the center console. Works great for me. Retention is good too.

-bru

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson

Fair enough. Let me rephrase my previous statement. Change "trust me" to "in my experience." I don't care whether you believe me or not or what your research has shown, I was simply trying to relay info that I had from my personal experience. My truck was t-boned at 40+ mph and eventually ended up about 15 feet down at the bottom of a ditch. Truck was completely totaled and laying almost entirely on it's side... Almost every single item inside of the cab of the vehicle was thrown all around the cab and became a dangerous projectile as the accident was unfolding. Except for this Gum Creek mount and the firearm I had in it. That was still safely secure in the exact position it was in before the collision. Which is why I will reiterate: In my personal experience, this mount is an excellent option for someone looking to keep a firearm inside the vehicle not on their person and I highly recommend it.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Fair enough. Let me rephrase my previous statement. Change "trust me" to "in my experience." I don't care whether you believe me or not or what your research has shown, I was simply trying to relay info that I had from my personal experience. My truck was t-boned at 40+ mph and eventually ended up about 15 feet down at the bottom of a ditch. Truck was completely totaled and laying almost entirely on it's side... Almost every single item inside of the cab of the vehicle was thrown all around the cab and became a dangerous projectile as the accident was unfolding. Except for this Gum Creek mount and the firearm I had in it. That was still safely secure in the exact position it was in before the collision. Which is why I will reiterate: In my personal experience, this mount is an excellent option for someone looking to keep a firearm inside the vehicle not on their person and I highly recommend it.

That's a better response.

At the end of the day, off body carry has no advantages.

Top Bottom