Any African Big Game Hunters Out There? Stories Please?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michael Sperry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2018
    New Orleans, La
    Have been to Africa many times myself, on business ventures mostly. Never pleasant really.

Things changed with my first Safari last year. There was a scare in Johannesburg on a day waiting for the PH who was off trying to find a poorly shot Kudu. Nearly got mugged, but my guide smelled a rat and got us away before it went down. What can I say?

Once I connected with the PH, things smoothed out into the greatest hunt of my life so far. No dangerous game that time, yet the challenge was great over five days of splendid hunting and some very special trophies. I don't know how to put photos on here but once I do.... The rifle was a Ruger 3006 that I had cryo-treated and micro_coated - accurized using out of date Winchester 165g Failsafe.

Two beautiful Blesbok, a really terrific Kudu, a deadly looking Black Wildebeest, and a record book Blue Wildebeest that was so expensive and out of package, it killed my Impala hunt.

The two Blesboks were hard because of the 250 - 300 yard shots on these smaller animal. I took them, but not with the precision I am used to at 100 yards or less in Louisiana!

The Black Wildebeest was a 240 yard shot through the boiler. I had gotten used to the distance by then. It jumped six feet into the air when hit! Then ran for 100 yards.

The Kudu was a 60 Yard shot through the neck. All I could see was the spectacular head and neck. The PH said "Shoot it in the head". I said. "I will NOT **** up that Trophy", and shot it in the neck instead. It was on a ridge, and it immediately tumbled and rolled down the ridge almost to our feet, quite dramatically for such a large animal!

The record book Blue Wildebeest was embarrassing, yet the climax of the trip. That was a two day hunt! We had located a group of them and approached. They spotted us and circled, with the females on the outside guarding the males in the center, especially the monster patriarch. A nice big female separated and dared me to shoot her. We declined, and they all ran off still guarding that brute. This happened twice! We called it a day. On Sunday then, we waited at a watering hole and the Blues showed up finally about 9 am. They got excited and left the Patriarch unguarded. I had a shot and rushed it, hitting him low just under the heart, breaking the offside leg as well as some brisket. He ran hobbled and I continued firing, never hitting him in the heart. The others started guarding him again but he fell behind three legged and stood broadside at 200 yards. I took slow, careful aim and put one in the boiler, so he dropped. He was not quite dead though and swung his antlers around. The others stood by him, until he went still, and then they all moved off.

The main take away for me is that large African game cannot be taken by lung shots. They must be heart shot, brain shot or spinal column shot! So if you are hunting them, keep that in mind.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Nice Trophies:

Black Wildebeest Cow
    qtt3afzwzx6jk6ypzvjv.jpg

Kudu
    nauqhcbg1nuga2e1bkf.jpg

Blue Wildebeest
    oc1w3er4ea36omxkz6w.jpg

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    What caliber, platform and distance did you use to take these down?
    From post 1: "The rifle was a Ruger 3006 that I had cryo-treated and micro_coated - accurized using out of date Winchester 165g Failsafe."

Those are Michael Sperry's Trophies. I did a search and found the pictures on another forum.
    https://www.bullet-behavior.com/tracking-stalking

Michael, I hope you don't mind me posting them. They are beautiful especially that Kudu.

Last edited:

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    I have hunted in Africa 8 times over the last 10 years. Countries hunted are Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and the Republic of Congo.

I love every minute of being on safari and even spent an entire month in Zimbabwe.

A couple of the buffalo I have killed.

Last edited:

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    In 2016 I did a self guided hunt in the Republic of Congo. I had Pygmy porters and trackers, slept in a hammock for over two weeks while living in the rainforest. My story was published in African Hunter magazine.

I will post the remaining article later, need to get ready for the match at Palo Alto tomorrow.

Last edited:

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Slightly off topic... but... I need a opinion on a 460 magnum. I'd love to talk to a big game hunter about this rifle and cartridge. It's more rifle than I'll ever need or use.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    As in 460 Weatherby Magnum?

458 Lott would be a more practical choice. It will push a 500 grain bullet over 2200 FPS and recoil is manageable. Brass is relatively inexpensive and it can be built on a smaller action than the Weatherby.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Yes !!! It's a beast... I never should have bought it. It is very accurate. Shoots excellent groups. Well, with some one else shooting , it shoots great groups. I refuse to shoot it more than once in a setting. It's going up for sale as soon as I get a good idea of value.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    In 2016 I did a self guided hunt in the Republic of Congo. I had Pygmy porters and trackers, slept in a hammock for over two weeks while living in the rainforest. My story was published in African Hunter magazine.

I will post the remaining article later, need to get ready for the match at Palo Alto tomorrow.

Excellent story and a very good read.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom