SB Tactical Pistol Braces - New SBA3 vs SBPDW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    The pdw comes with a shorter buffer tube and guts, so that when fully collapsed it is shorter than the a3 which uses a std m4 tube.

I plan to give the a3 a try, when they get cheaper...

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    SBA3 SPECIFICATIONS
    FIT: All platforms capable of accepting a mil-spec carbine extension
    CAVITY DEPTH: 6.0 in
    LENGTH: 6.75 in, 7.5 in, 8.25 in, 9.0 in, 9.5 in
    STRAP WIDTH: 1 in
    WEIGHT: 6.75 oz
    COLOR: Black, FDE
    WIDTH [MAX]: 1.8 in

SBPDW™ SPECIFICATIONS
    FIT: Mil-spec AR-15 receivers
    WIDTH [MAX]: 2.25 in
    LENGTH: 6.75 in (collapsed), 8.125 in (mid), 9.375 (extended) in
    STRAP WIDTH: 1 in
    WEIGHT: 18.14 oz
    COLOR: Black, FDE

The descriptions from their website suggest they both collapse down to the same size, 6.75 inches, and extend to 0.125 inches of each other.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I did a fair amount of research after my last post. The OP question did pique my interest.

My last post was based on a visual inspection of the 2 braces and I figured (wrongly) that due to the cost of the pdw it would be using some sort of proprietary buffer, spring or something to shorten the action. I have a NEA pdw stock that is very similar in design and construction but it does collapse much shorter. It has a special carrier, spring and buffer to do that. That stock runs about 320 new, which is about 80 bucks more the the SBPDW.

So the OP's question is very valid, why spend more to get the same thing? I agree, the only "benefit" of the pdw is that it has the pdw look, the 2 steel slide bars that telescope around the receiver. Shades of the HK collapsible stock, so I guess it needs to cost more (HK=$$$) I plan to get the A3 and give it a try. Plus i want to weigh it...

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I did a fair amount of research after my last post. The OP question did pique my interest.

My last post was based on a visual inspection of the 2 braces and I figured (wrongly) that due to the cost of the pdw it would be using some sort of proprietary buffer, spring or something to shorten the action. I have a NEA pdw stock that is very similar in design and construction but it does collapse much shorter. It has a special carrier, spring and buffer to do that. That stock runs about 320 new, which is about 80 bucks more the the SBPDW.

So the OP's question is very valid, why spend more to get the same thing? I agree, the only "benefit" of the pdw is that it has the pdw look, the 2 steel slide bars that telescope around the receiver. Shades of the HK collapsible stock, so I guess it needs to cost more (HK=$$$) I plan to get the A3 and give it a try. Plus i want to weigh it...
    That's exactly what I was thinking, "if you want the PDW look" which does have some value but not sure if it offsets the price difference.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    If NEA made a PDW brace that collapses as well as the stock I have it would be on top of my list of things to buy.

The SB PDW is not worth the money, IMO.

The A3 looks better every time I check it out. 130-160 is a bit steep, but you do get a (hopefully) well fitted buffer tube with it. 20-30 bucks there. So 100 or so for the brace is not terrible, we were all happy to pay that for a sig brace a few years back!

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    If NEA made a PDW brace that collapses as well as the stock I have it would be on top of my list of things to buy.

The SB PDW is not worth the money, IMO.

The A3 looks better every time I check it out. 130-160 is a bit steep, but you do get a (hopefully) well fitted buffer tube with it. 20-30 bucks there. So 100 or so for the brace is not terrible, we were all happy to pay that for a sig brace a few years back!
    Hahahahahaha you are right, I paid more than that for my old sig brace.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I would guess the cost difference comes from the difference in production cost. And even then, the MSRP for the SBA3 is, in my opinion, double the cost of what it should be. I think they include the buffer tube simply to justify the cost. I would not be surprised if they etch "for pistol brace only" on it just to try to distinguish it from the ordinary mil-spec buffer tube. It's molded plastic. It's a fancy MFT Minimalist Stock with a hole in the shoulder pad designed to fit around your arm. It retails for $130, about 3x the cost of the Minimalist stock. How much do these people need to charge before it just makes more sense to SBR it? I think most of their cost is the convenience of now waiting for the stamp.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would guess the cost difference comes from the difference in production cost. And even then, the MSRP for the SBA3 is, in my opinion, double the cost of what it should be. I think they include the buffer tube simply to justify the cost. I would not be surprised if they etch "for pistol brace only" on it just to try to distinguish it from the ordinary mil-spec buffer tube. It's molded plastic. It's a fancy MFT Minimalist Stock with a hole in the shoulder pad designed to fit around your arm. It retails for $130, about 3x the cost of the Minimalist stock. How much do these people need to charge before it just makes more sense to SBR it? I think most of their cost is the convenience of now waiting for the stamp.

I agree with all of this. Don't discount the number of people who will never go thru the NFA hoopla, as there are many of us.

I would never even consider waiting to build a gun so I just do not consider anything NFA. And giving the gov't another 200 bucks for a bs tax is just not cricket either. I would much rather buy an "overpriced" (might be a smaller quantity item so the price is higher, and we have been spoiled by magpuls price points) brace that provides the functionality I desire. Always better to give your money to a business!!!

I had no interest in the ar pistol till the braces came out. This weapon type fills the role as a PDW to me, which does have a place in my system.

The mossberg shockwave is another product that has my interest, a more compact 12 gauge device. Seems like the non-nfa market is picking up momentum.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree with all of this. Don't discount the number of people who will never go thru the NFA hoopla, as there are many of us.

I would never even consider waiting to build a gun so I just do not consider anything NFA. And giving the gov't another 200 bucks for a bs tax is just not cricket either. I would much rather buy an "overpriced" (might be a smaller quantity item so the price is higher, and we have been spoiled by magpuls price points) brace that provides the functionality I desire. Always better to give your money to a business!!!

I had no interest in the ar pistol till the braces came out. This weapon type fills the role as a PDW to me, which does have a place in my system.

The mossberg shockwave is another product that has my interest, a more compact 12 gauge device. Seems like the non-nfa market is picking up momentum.

Oh, I'm not discounting those people. I'm sorta one of them. I have one SBR, an HK USC. I have a few AR pistols and almost all of them have a Shockwave brace. I do have one of the original Sig braces but I don't really like it as I find it too bulky. I haven't yet felt the need to grab an adjustable brace. I like the look of the PDW stock but I don't like it $250 worth.

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I have 2 on pre order (black and FDE) for some builds I'm doing. Will post pics and ship dates once they come in.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    • Includes mil-spec carbine receiver extension

If you install a mil-spec carbine receiver extension on a lower, that has otherwise never been built as a rifle, and you install a SBA3 brace on it, it is technically a pistol. However, if you have a carbine stock that is not attached to another rifle, you are now in violation and can be charged with owning an illegal SBR (even though it's not attached).

Considering you can easily detach the brace and install a mil-spec carbine stock, I would hesitate to purchase the SBA3.

ATF_Buffer_Tube_Letter.jpg

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    If you install a mil-spec carbine receiver extension on a lower, that has otherwise never been built as a rifle, and you install a SBA3 brace on it, it is technically a pistol. However, if you have a carbine stock that is not attached to another rifle, you are now in violation and can be charged with owning an illegal SBR (even though it's not attached).

Considering you can easily detach the brace and install a mil-spec carbine stock, I would hesitate to purchase the SBA3.

ATF_Buffer_Tube_Letter.jpg
    That's correct,

I have not read anything saying that the brace can be removed from the buffer tube hence why it is shipping with buffer tube. Gear head works did the same thing, I know for a fact that the brace cannot be removed and all units must ship with buffer tube permanently attached.

I can't imagine SB tactical not following this but I have no proof that it is at this point short of calling SB.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    That's correct,

I have not read anything saying that the brace can be removed from the buffer tube hence why it is shipping with buffer tube. Gear head works did the same thing, I know for a fact that the brace cannot be removed and all units must ship with buffer tube permanently attached.

I can't imagine SB tactical not following this but I have no proof that it is at this point short of calling SB.

If it is permanently attached to a carbine receiver extension, then it's good to go.

I do not personally know anyone who has one, but if that were true, I can see myself ordering a few.

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    There is a vid on you tube with a guy swapping the A3 on and off a mil spec tube. I will try to find it...

I put a black A3 on order at optics planet. With free shipping and a 7% off coupon for writing a review it came to $110. When I get it I will post my thoughts.

Edit, here is the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXqHD2UBbKs

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom