What the hell is wrong with kids today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I just got a text from my daughter where she sent me a screenshot of a JDSO bulletin where they stated they just arrested a kid that goes to her school for telling everyone on SnapChat to not go to school today at Hathaway because he was going to shoot up the school. Thank god she is on a field trip. We just talked about this kind of stuff the other day after the FL shootings. While we were talking my 13 year old daughters asked me how effective it was to practice active shooter drills when it seems like now the shooters are kids they go to school with and will now know what they are planning on doing when there is an active shooter. I didn't really know what to say to that question.

They also said that the school told them that if they were in the gym to go into the locker rooom because the door was bullet proof. I told them that would probably be the worst thing to do as they would be trapped with no way out and the doors are just metal and maybe fire resistant but not bullet proof.

Not sure I am happy with this but at least someone had the balls to tell the police and get this **** arrested before it turned into a tragedy. The onyl good thing to come out of the FL shooting fiasco is that now no LE department is going to want to be the one that does nothing and then has a shooting incident occur on their watch after they were warned hopefully this attitude does not go away when the political bruhaha dies down.

I am not happy with the world my daughters are now going to have to live in. I am wondering if now might be the time to get a compact low recoil handgun/revolver and start teaching them how to defend themselves. I hate even having to think these thoughts. :puke:

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    Where are the parents of that kid and what have they been doing that he would even think about doing it?

My grandkids are 10, 10, 8 and 4. I have started all but the 4 year old. Airsoft is a great way to start!

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The most recent "American Warrior" podcast has an interesting discussion about school shooting. Michael Janich is the co host with Seeklander.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    had a similar circumstance in watson jr high. the kids are returning from suspension today.

Did they just suspend school for the day and they are coming back or did the person who threatened the action get just a suspension and is now coming back to school? If the person who threatened to shoot the school is coming back then nuh-uh no way.

I have gotten them a little involved with some BB guns and will probably step up to a 22lr. If they enjoy this then I am thinking I may have them get some training and maybe even do some USPSA with me when I start doing it. Talked to the wife last night and she is okay with it so that is a bonus. Now off to search for a compact that would be suitable for them.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I would take all of those issues over crazy psychotic kids figuring that shooting up a school full of kids will solve their problems.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    The world they are growing up in , just sucks it seems..

The guns seem almost taboo to them, they do not really have any clue about them (present company excluded).
    I grew up with a loaded 22 rifle in the parental bedroom and never touched it. I respected the damage it did to the big tv when we shot it, I guess I was 4..

I think as much as guns are available to us, the the general population, its only to those that look for them. The others, may have grown up around them, but not knowing the first thing about them..
    If we remove the stigma from them and the mystery, maybe through education , they would not be so damn scared ?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Some of what I did with my girls.
    Took them to indoor ranges: This is what gunfire sounds like coming from the next room and inside of a building or in the next stall.
    Took them to Palo Alto: This is what a teenage girl on an 'Old Man' with a rifle can do @ 200 yds and further. Plus when they go to the pits they see what rifle rounds are like passing overhead and the accuracy achieved. At the time I also wanted them to know that when they here "The police didn't have to kill the guy" it was ignorant ******** talking.
    Understand how to handle a weapon in terms of muzzle discipline and finger off of trigger. I did rifles first then hand guns.
    Then HTH should also be in the mix early on IMHO.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    The world they are growing up in , just sucks it seems..

The guns seem almost taboo to them, they do not really have any clue about them (present company excluded).
    I grew up with a loaded 22 rifle in the parental bedroom and never touched it. I respected the damage it did to the big tv when we shot it, I guess I was 4..

I think as much as guns are available to us, the the general population, its only to those that look for them. The others, may have grown up around them, but not knowing the first thing about them..
    If we remove the stigma from them and the mystery, maybe through education , they would not be so damn scared ?

My first real memory of guns was seeing my dad shoot full dog food cans, demonstrating the damage they can do.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Thanks for the reminder on getting them some HTH training. I should probably sign them up for some self defense classes so they at least get some basic knowledge of how to defend themselves from an attacker.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Did they just suspend school for the day and they are coming back or did the person who threatened the action get just a suspension and is now coming back to school? If the person who threatened to shoot the school is coming back then nuh-uh no way.

I have gotten them a little involved with some BB guns and will probably step up to a 22lr. If they enjoy this then I am thinking I may have them get some training and maybe even do some USPSA with me when I start doing it. Talked to the wife last night and she is okay with it so that is a bonus. Now off to search for a compact that would be suitable for them.
    school is on, with lpso at the school. the 2 kids that made the threat were suspended.
    the school did not notify parents of the threat until the 2 had finished their suspension.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    They just suspended them? They can't seriously be allowing the kids back at the school after this incident?

My daughters sent me the screenshot of the JDPSO bulletin I then searched it out to get the whole story. About 2 hours later I get an automated message from the school thanking the community for helping with the security of the school. Why did they wait to tell us. I am thinking that some letters and visits to the school board need to happen. Hopefully this kid does not get to go back to school especially seeing as they had enough on him to arrest him for terrorizing and he actually got booked in jail.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom