Looking to cut the Direct TV cord, options?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    After the monthly bill kept going up and up, and dropping channels here and there, my husband has dropped back to basic Direct tv package, saving $75 a month, but at the expense of a few channels I watch.

We would like to get rid of it totally, but still get access to some channels, like Fox news, Syfy, AHC, science channel, history.

We're out in a rural area with not so great internet (satellite), and was wondering what some of you use in a similar setting?

Note: we don't watch a lot of tv, no kids in the house, both work, and we don't always want to watch the same thing, so off to another tv I go, or set up the dvr.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I got rid of DirecTV a while ago and switched to Sling. I'm happy for $25/mo. As for Fox you can watch it for free on YouTube app.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Directvnow. I dumped sling because they only offered cnn. I’m not giving my money to someone that forces that garbage on me. Directvnow comes with all the main news channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    YouTube and Directvnow are not options for the OP since she is on satellite internet access, maybe even limited data like me. Being in the country has a lot of advantages, but they don't always include cheap access to internet and TV services. I'm paying $105 for Directv Xtra (no premium sports or movie channels) and $61 for only 10GB of satellite internet data.

LaBelle, I don't have an answer, but if you find one, please let me know.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    YouTube and Directvnow are not options for the OP since she is on satellite internet access, maybe even limited data like me. Being in the country has a lot of advantages, but they don't always include cheap access to internet and TV services. I'm paying $105 for Directv Xtra (no premium sports or movie channels) and $61 for only 10GB of satellite internet data.

LaBelle, I don't have an answer, but if you find one, please let me know.

Got it. How about cell service? You could get an Apple TV and hotspot to it from your phone with unlimited data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Got it. How about cell service? You could get an Apple TV and hotspot to it from your phone with unlimited data.

I have unlimited data with AT&T but my tethering is limited to about 10GB, iirc.

After the monthly bill kept going up and up, and dropping channels here and there, my husband has dropped back to basic Direct tv package, saving $75 a month, but at the expense of a few channels I watch.

We would like to get rid of it totally, but still get access to some channels, like Fox news, Syfy, AHC, science channel, history.

We're out in a rural area with not so great internet (satellite), and was wondering what some of you use in a similar setting?

Note: we don't watch a lot of tv, no kids in the house, both work, and we don't always want to watch the same thing, so off to another tv I go, or set up the dvr.

Call your satellite internet company and see if they have any upgrades. You may or may not be using an older generation. I switched from Gen 4 HughesNet at $80/month to Gen 5 Excede at $100/month. I also went from a 15GB limit to a 150GB limit. And there was a noticeable increase in speed. HughesNet was scheduled to release their Gen 5 soon as well. The plan I have now is the mid level plan. I've been able to stream some shows, most of the time without buffering. At that point, you may look at the individual websites to see if they have a streaming option. I'm not sure if Hulu has the shows you're looking for. If you have an Amazon Prime account, you may look at Amazon Video for your shows.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I know this won't help you now but within the next year or so StarLink will probably be available for everyone in the US. It is a satellite service but they will be using LEO satellites and so far in the beta testing users are experiencing latency under 50ms and they are not supposed to be capping data like other services but I am not positive on that. It sounds like you are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place because most cord-cutters switch to Internet available services like Hulu, Sling, and like services, and by only having current satellite services you are extremely limited in your options.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I had Directv way back since it was PrimeStar. I was reluctant to cancel it but my bill was nearing 200.00 per month and I was tired of paying that for TV.

I looked at several options that would suit everyone's tv wants in the house.

I ended up with a Roku (about 30 bucks one time) and Sling blue and orange plus I added the Starz package to get the Western Channel. I think that brought the total up to about 55 bucks a month. Just for comparison the Starz Package is about 15.00 per month on Directv and only 5.00 per month on Sling.

On the Roku we just added the local news station apps so we can see local stuff now and then. The Sling guide is pretty easy to navigate.

The only down side is that when we don't have something in mind to watch you can't just flip through the channels till something catches your attention like on normal tv providers. We can usually find something though. I went from almost 200.00 per month to about 55 bucks per month and I can watch everything that I could before. It just takes a little bit more effort.

Way worth it and I don't miss it at all.

Now, if I could just figure out a way to do that with my cell phone bill I'd be golden.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    We use Hulu with live streaming add on and we don’t miss cable a single bit. The one channel it’s doesn’t have that the wife misses is hallmark this time of year for Christmas shows. We subscribe to that for a couple months each fall to fill that for her.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Reading is fundamental. :D

The OP posted almost 2 years ago and said she had crappy satellite internet service, so all the internet streaming suggestions are pretty much unhelpful. Hopefully, in the last 2 years she has found something that works.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I read your post and was like what??????? I went back and looked at dates and saw that someone necro'd the topic last month and I didn't even realize it when I posted as I was only looking at new posts and assumed it was recent. DOH!!!! But yeah not a lot of people caught that the OP doesn't have a good ISP connection and all suggested streaming...... Hopefully you all out there are keeping an eye on StarLink. Should hopefully be out of beta sometime next year and have service to more people that are cut off. Initial testing and posts from people in the beta are showing good latency and throughput.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I read your post and was like what??????? I went back and looked at dates and saw that someone necro'd the topic last month and I didn't even realize it when I posted as I was only looking at new posts and assumed it was recent. DOH!!!! But yeah not a lot of people caught that the OP doesn't have a good ISP connection and all suggested streaming...... Hopefully you all out there are keeping an eye on StarLink. Should hopefully be out of beta sometime next year and have service to more people that are cut off. Initial testing and posts from people in the beta are showing good latency and throughput.

I'm looking forward to starlink. I need it where I'm at. Curious to see what their data limits will be and adverse weather connectivity.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I searched last night and from what I found snow is no issue but rain might be. I couldn't find a definitive answer only guesses as most of the posts were from before the beta trial.

From what I understand it will be ~$500 for the dish install kit. ~$100/month for service. I read that they are not going to impose limits but IDK for sure.

Top Bottom