HB 200: Repeals the prohibition on ... certain knives and similar instruments

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    It's about freaking time! Sure hope this floats! I wonder if the Knife Rights people know about this?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Most of the stabbings I've been to as a LEO have involved cheap, wooden-handled steak knives, the bane of the domestically challenged male's existence. Never been to one involving a switchblade.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Oh, the horror....Blood will run in the streets if this passes......;).

With the price of automatic knives, I think cheap steak knives will still be the weapon of choice.

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    This law has become functionally obsolete anyway. It was passed during a time when all pocket knives were of the type where there was a lot of resistance to overcome in opening the blade and the blade had a small cutout where you had to place the thumbnail of your other hand and pull it open. It was a slow two handed affair. Nowadays there are the spring assisted types and they type that catches on your pocket to open the blade as you pull it out making it faster to deploy than a switchblade which requires you to first draw it then activate the switch. Repealing the existing law is just a good common sense move. It seems that no one was enforcing this law anyway. Just about every gun show I go to has multiple vendors selling automatic knives and there are LEO's walking around in the show who don't even take a second glance at the sales being made.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I asked for his stance on the bill. So, a definite maybe....

Thank you for your email. I will be passing your correspondence along to Representative Carter for his review and consideration upon casting a vote.
    At this time, it is difficult to provide a yes or no answer regarding support of legislation, given that during the legislative process any bill can be amended to a large degree.
    Again, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know where you stand on this legislation and your position has been added to our records. We look forward to hearing from you again on this and other matters.

Regards,
    Charlotte Melder
    Legislative Assistant
    Representative Stephen F. Carter
    District 68
    carters@legis.la.gov

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Just got an email from Knife Rights,. They're definitely on top of this!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Just got an email from Knife Rights,. They're definitely on top of this!

They are. The Louisiana Shooting Association has been working with them for a couple months getting the politics in place. Hopefully we can bring it home this year.

Dan

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    I don't think it's time to email reps just yet, but looking forward to seeing it pass committee and get up for a vote!

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    I read the current text of the bill and it seeks to remove the language about manufacture, ownership, custody, possession, or use of one of these knives from the statute and replace it with a prohibition on carrying it concealed on one's person. So legalize ownership but outlaw concealment. So how exactly do they define concealment? I normally carry a folding pocketknife the way most southerners do - clipped in the pocket of my jeans with the clip visible on the outside the the top half inch or so of the grip visible sticking up out of my pocket. Is that considered concealment or open carry?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I read the current text of the bill and it seeks to remove the language about manufacture, ownership, custody, possession, or use of one of these knives from the statute and replace it with a prohibition on carrying it concealed on one's person. So legalize ownership but outlaw concealment. So how exactly do they define concealment? I normally carry a folding pocketknife the way most southerners do - clipped in the pocket of my jeans with the clip visible on the outside the the top half inch or so of the grip visible sticking up out of my pocket. Is that considered concealment or open carry?

Good question

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany

If it's visible, it's not concealed.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    If it's visible, it's not concealed.

Would you consider a pistol carried in an OWB holster, with your shirt tucked in as to not cover it, concealed? After all, it would be visible, right? Most would consider this open carry.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that you could have been arrested for carrying concealed in this situation in Mississippi if you didn't have a concealed handgun permit.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Would you consider a pistol carried in an OWB holster, with your shirt tucked in as to not cover it, concealed? After all, it would be visible, right? Most would consider this open carry.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that you could have been arrested for carrying concealed in this situation in Mississippi if you didn't have a concealed handgun permit.

I used to hear stories about Miss and how people talked about OC'ing and not being fully visible

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom