HB 200: Repeals the prohibition on ... certain knives and similar instruments

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    What holster method should I use for open carry?
    That is a personal preference. However be advised that if you do not have a concealed carry permit you are at an increased risk of a criminal charge if your carry method can be construed as having been intended to conceal or obscure your weapon. It is often suggested that a quality retention style holster be used whenever possible when Open Carrying.

If you "open carry" using a traditionally concealed carry holster (say IWB with your shirt tucked in behind it) you are at a greater risk for a LEO to detain you for a conceal carry violation, since you could easily conceal the weapon. It's a hassle you wouldn't want to deal with, so open carry with an appropriate OWB multi retention holster.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Would you consider a pistol carried in an OWB holster, with your shirt tucked in as to not cover it, concealed? After all, it would be visible, right? Most would consider this open carry.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that you could have been arrested for carrying concealed in this situation in Mississippi if you didn't have a concealed handgun permit.

If you are using an OWB holster with your shirt tucked in behind it, that is the definition of open carry. There is absolutely no way that could be construed as concealed. Did you mean IWB holster?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    If you are using an OWB holster with your shirt tucked in behind it, that is the definition of open carry. There is absolutely no way that could be construed as concealed. Did you mean IWB holster?

Charlie12 beat me to it. But yes, I meant what I typed, OWB holster, not an IWB hoster.

In Mississippi, it didn't matter how much of the pistol was visible outside of the holster. The fact that any of the pistol was concealed by the holster could get you charged with illegally concealing a weapon if you did not have a permit to do so. The laws were changed there within the last three years if I remember correctly. You can look it up for yourself, I'm at work and don't have the time right now. But when the law changed and made what we in Louisiana call open carry legal in Mississippi, everyone freaked out like they normally do. That's also when you saw a bunch of businesses start to post signs that no firearms were allowed, openly carried or concealed.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Would you consider a pistol carried in an OWB holster, with your shirt tucked in as to not cover it, concealed? After all, it would be visible, right? Most would consider this open carry.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that you could have been arrested for carrying concealed in this situation in Mississippi if you didn't have a concealed handgun permit.

I don't live in Mississippi, so I don't care about their laws.

If you were carrying IWB with your shirt tucked behind it, that is open carry.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Charlie12 beat me to it. But yes, I meant what I typed, OWB holster, not an IWB hoster.

In Mississippi, it didn't matter how much of the pistol was visible outside of the holster. The fact that any of the pistol was concealed by the holster could get you charged with illegally concealing a weapon if you did not have a permit to do so. The laws were changed there within the last three years if I remember correctly. You can look it up for yourself, I'm at work and don't have the time right now. But when the law changed and made what we in Louisiana call open carry legal in Mississippi, everyone freaked out like they normally do. That's also when you saw a bunch of businesses start to post signs that no firearms were allowed, openly carried or concealed.

So, in MS, open carry meant that it had to be in your hand or hanging from a chain at your belt, because the holster hid the weapon?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Sounds like a valid defense if you ever pass through the state and get pulled over for speeding. "Sorry officer, I don't live in this state and don't care about your laws".

My question to you wasn't meant to argue about what is and isn't open carry it concealed carry. I just wanted to point out how it was determined a few years ago in Mississippi and that there, it wasn't as easy as you put it: "If it's visible, it's not concealed."

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Yep I go to Miss quite often and since they pushed the OC crap now there are a lot of no gun signs at places where they weren't before.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Sounds like a valid defense if you ever pass through the state and get pulled over for speeding. "Sorry officer, I don't live in this state and don't care about your laws".

My question to you wasn't meant to argue about what is and isn't open carry it concealed carry. I just wanted to point out how it was determined a few years ago in Mississippi and that there, it wasn't as easy as you put it: "If it's visible, it's not concealed."

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

I have a concealed handgun permit. I don't care about their laws unless they drop reciprocity.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    So, in MS, open carry meant that it had to be in your hand or hanging from a chain at your belt, because the holster hid the weapon?

There was a whacked out court decision that said if any part of the gun was concealed, then all of it was concealed - it used the example of a gun carried by tying a piece of string to it. Because of a lot of effort, the MS concealed laws are among the most lenient now; and OC is legally defined, but a significant number of senior LEOs persuaded a lot of businesses to post the no gun signs.

I haven't been there in awhile, but I was told that the same folks who worked for the legal revisions are trying to convince the businesses to drop the signs.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    There was a whacked out court decision that said if any part of the gun was concealed, then all of it was concealed - it used the example of a gun carried by tying a piece of string to it. Because of a lot of effort, the MS concealed laws are among the most lenient now; and OC is legally defined, but a significant number of senior LEOs persuaded a lot of businesses to post the no gun signs.

I haven't been there in awhile, but I was told that the same folks who worked for the legal revisions are trying to convince the businesses to drop the signs.

Nice to know that LA laws aren't always the most stupid! :bravo:

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Looks like the Bill passed the House vote and is headed to Senate vote next. Looks good so far.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Just got this info from Knife Rights today.
    Looks like it's going to make it!
    5f743f0d3a3cbe4b35f160660277413a.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom