HB 200: Repeals the prohibition on ... certain knives and similar instruments

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    OK, LEO's, help me out here. How are you notified of the law change and it's effective date? Just curious.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Just got this from Knife Rights:
    b4c565fc09e7b09be46bf8286e0f79e4.jpg

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Based on the reading of the new law, you would have to have it visible in some manner. Clipped to a pocket the only way? Can't carry in purse or backpack etc... ?

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Based on the reading of the new law, you would have to have it visible in some manner. Clipped to a pocket the only way? Can't carry in purse or backpack etc... ?

At minimum. You can’t intentionally conceal it. Logic would say clipped in pocket isn’t intentionally concealed? Unfortunately, a court case will probably be needed to fully interpret it

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Copying this from a dude posted over on blade forums. Does anyone know the case that firearm concealment was tried and judged in Louisiana? If so, that would provide some case law precedent and make it a little less grey.

———————————

While it is not defined in the statute, there is court precedent dealing with firearms concealment. The courts in Louisiana have essentially said that if you can see any part of the firearm, including just the holster, then it’s not concealed. Assuming the courts are consistent, if any part of the knife is visible then it’s not “concealed.” So, in the case of a clip showing, that wouldn't be concealed. In the case of the auto being full concealed inside your pocket, that would be prohibited, as one would normally expect. If there is any gray area, I suppose it might be if the auto was carried fully within your pocket, but was also clearly printing on the outside. <shrug> Just don't do that to become a test case, would be our suggestion. Moreover, this phrasing also allows for instances where a knife is inadvertently concealed temporarily with no "intention" to carry it concealed. That is problematic in some jurisdictions, but will not be in Louisiana.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I think Louisiana LEO's probably could care less unless you have already done something wrong and this would be an added charge.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I think Louisiana LEO's probably could care less unless you have already done something wrong and this would be an added charge.

I've stated it before, but I've asked multiple veteran LEO and they've all stated that if you have a CHP, you should have a gun. The last thing they care about is a pocket knife.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    That is what most case law seems to show. Most have gotten popped when doing something else and get the "bonus charge".

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Sooooo, since mass media common sense dictates that stricter weapons laws result in fewer deaths/attacks/incidents related to the illegal use of the regulated weapons, we should be ready for an uptick in switchblade related deaths/attacks/incidents because of this bill, correct?

As we move forward, please post news stories you come across related to the imminent auto knife armageddon.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Copying this from a dude posted over on blade forums. Does anyone know the case that firearm concealment was tried and judged in Louisiana? If so, that would provide some case law precedent and make it a little less grey.

———————————

While it is not defined in the statute, there is court precedent dealing with firearms concealment. The courts in Louisiana have essentially said that if you can see any part of the firearm, including just the holster, then it’s not concealed. Assuming the courts are consistent, if any part of the knife is visible then it’s not “concealed.” So, in the case of a clip showing, that wouldn't be concealed. In the case of the auto being full concealed inside your pocket, that would be prohibited, as one would normally expect. If there is any gray area, I suppose it might be if the auto was carried fully within your pocket, but was also clearly printing on the outside. <shrug> Just don't do that to become a test case, would be our suggestion. Moreover, this phrasing also allows for instances where a knife is inadvertently concealed temporarily with no "intention" to carry it concealed. That is problematic in some jurisdictions, but will not be in Louisiana.

LA vs Fluker

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...ker+311+So.+2d+863&hl=en&as_sdt=2,37&as_vis=1

Guy got arrested for concealed carry of a weapon, a handgun, which was in a holster on his belt. LA Supreme Court overturned the ruling. Luckily, much of the language in the law and ruling is not specific to handguns, so yes, this port over nicely.

TLDR, a weapon "if it is sufficiently exposed to reveal its identity." is not concealed under LA law.

My takeaway is that a switchblade with a deep carry clip, may not meet this standard, but a regular clip might.

Top Bottom