DICK's Sporting Goods

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So Dick's sporting goods released a statement... I have actually NEVER set foot in the doors, now I guess I never will.

We at DICK’S Sporting Goods are deeply disturbed and saddened by the tragic events in Parkland. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the victims and their loved ones.

But thoughts and prayers are not enough.

We have tremendous respect and admiration for the students organizing and making their voices heard regarding gun violence in schools and elsewhere in our country.

We have heard you. The nation has heard you.

We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens. But we have to help solve the problem that’s in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that’s taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America – our kids.

Following all of the rules and laws, we sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter in November of 2017. It was not the gun, nor type of gun, he used in the shooting. But it could have been.

Clearly this indicates on so many levels that the systems in place are not effective to protect our kids and our citizens.

We believe it’s time to do something about it.

Beginning today, DICK’S Sporting Goods is committed to the following:

We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles. We had already removed them from all DICK’S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.
    We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.
    We will no longer sell high capacity magazines.
    We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly.
    At the same time, we implore our elected officials to enact common sense gun reform and pass the following regulations:

Ban assault-style firearms
    Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21
    Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks
    Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law
    Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms
    Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks
    We hope others join us in this effort to let our kids know that their pleas are being taken seriously.

Some will say these steps can’t guarantee tragedies like Parkland will never happen again. They may be correct – but if common sense reform is enacted and even one life is saved, it will have been worth it.

We deeply believe that this country’s most precious gift is our children. They are our future. We must keep them safe.

Meanwhile... Academy is running a sale! haha...

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoors/shooting/firearms/modern-sporting-rifles--1

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Here is the actual photo of the memo.

I can gladly say that I have never spend one cent there. I went in when the Slidell store opened and seen how over priced they were and how little they really had to offer for shooters and never went back. When they pulled they ARs off the shelf after Sandy Hook it ensures I would never go back.

Too much good stuff one exit down at Sportsman’s Warehouse anyways.

At far as Academy goes..... remember they pulled all AR style rifles off the shelf after Sandy Hook also but creeped them back out over time.

Attachments

• 194A9285-72A5-427A-9742-B8E538D6109A.jpg
      194A9285-72A5-427A-9742-B8E538D6109A.jpg
      248.8 KB · Views: 96
    Last edited:

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    academy is no better. They pulled all AR's from the shelves to appease the Snowflakes before.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes... Academy pulled them... and not to defend them for doing so, but they didn't STOP selling them. They just kept them behind the counter instead of on the rifle racks. At least the one on Vets in Metairie did. They were still available for purchase.

and here's the link to the actual statement on DICK's website.

http://pressroom.dicks.com/press-information/media-statements.aspx

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Dicks was just doing damage control. They figured better to bring out the info before somebody else found out and tried to taint their public image with it....their public image.. hahahahaha!!!!

Dicks...

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Didn't Dick's also pull AR's from the shelves after Sandy Hook, only to quietly put them back months later? I can see through their bulls**t. Make a big public standing for the free press then once American's get bored with this topic and rally for the next trendy thing, go back to business as usual. F**k Dick's. I'm going buy a few "high capacity magazines" at my locally owned sporting store today in my own silent protest.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    DICK’S stopped selling ar’s after 2012. Nothing has changed. Just a way to get media attention. It’s the Starbucks of sporting good stores. Prices are high as giraffe nutz.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Just got this email from CNN

Dick's stops selling assault-style rifles in wake of Florida students' calls

Dick's Sporting Goods, the nation's largest sporting goods retailer, will stop selling assault-style weapons like the one used in the Parkland, Florida, high school shooting.

The company said it will also raise the minimum age for all gun sales to 21. Dick's will not sell high-capacity magazines that allow shooters to fire far more rounds than traditional weapons without reloading, as well as other accessories used with weapons similar to the AR-15.

The Parkland shooter, Nikolas Cruz, bought a gun at Dick's. The company said he did not buy the AR-15 that he used in the school shooting there.

Students have returned to classes at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School for the first time since the shooting that killed 17 classmates and faculty. Follow live updates from the campus and on the gun control debate.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    My own .02 cents on this. This is just a feel good moment for them and the media. Their prices are high and gun section is tiny. By them saying they will stop selling ARs only means they took both rifles off the rack.
    This was predictable. They stopped selling handguns a while ago. They wont be hurt by this at all. They sell mostly sports equipment... hunting etc. is almost nothing.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    They could have done this quietly but they did a press release for it and now the media has it on heavy rotation. These moves are not just pandering or protecting their corporate public image; this messaging reinforces in public opinion the idea that this sort of restriction should be put into law. They are working against us so vote with your wallet however you can.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    They could have done this quietly but they did a press release for it and now the media has it on heavy rotation. These moves are not just pandering or protecting their corporate public image; this messaging reinforces in public opinion the idea that this sort of restriction should be put into law. They are working against us so vote with your wallet however you can.

Of course they did it with a press release... live on CNN. Like I said above, doing this will in no way hurt their business. They want to be known for "doing the right thing" They sell very few firearms to begin with. I don't know of many people who have even gone in a Dicks store. Their biggest clients are soccer Moms. Not that its a bad thing..... just saying. :)

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    I am going after lunch to Dick's/Field and Stream in Lafayette to drop off a stack of my FFL business cards, so they can send all of their 18-20 year olds and MSR customers to me.

When some idiot creates his own lemons, I will make lemonade :)

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    I am going after lunch to Dick's/Field and Stream in Lafayette to drop off a stack of my FFL business cards, so they can send all of their 18-20 year olds and MSR customers to me.

When some idiot creates his own lemons, I will make lemonade :)

LOL! Perfect!!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom