Three Screw Single Six

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I had a family member bring me an old Single Single Six that had clearly seen better days. The hammer is blocked somehow and won’t cock. If you remove the cylinder it can be cocked IF you pull the transfer bar back so it does not hit the pin while rising. With the cylinder installed, it won’t even cock far enough for the transfer bar to move.

One thing I noticed is the cylinder is full of pin strikes in areas there shouldn’t be (see pic). Considering it has a transfer bar I have a hard time figuring out how these strikes can happen.

Before I spend a fortune at Numrich hoping to get lucky, what do the experts think may be going on?

Also, how does this thing have a transfer bar while being a *three screw* model? I thought that’s what sepparated the old’s vs new’s...
    zYOgt

KyVUr2h.jpg

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Ruger had a program at one time where they would upgrade the old three screw guns to include the transfer bar system. Seems obvious based on your photo that you have a severe issue of timing. I would think that it would be possible to clean up those case rim recesses but without addressing the timing it will reoccur. Can it be that the firing pin is damaged from dry firing and causing the transfer bar to lock?

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks folks. It seems from all the dry firing/cylinder strikes, the firing pin has mushroomed on the hammer side. That causes the transfer bar to catch the pin and lock into place below as opposed to slide up and over.

That only happens with the cylinder removed though. With the cylinder installed you can not pull the hammer far enough to move the transfer bar. The cylinder is completely locked and the hammer will not budge. I guess that indicates there is an issue between the cylinder latch and the pawl. Ie (as stated) a timing issue.

Is this something that can be tackled with new parts and a semi compitent amateur? If not, is Ruger reasonable with their rates?

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I spoke with a customer service rep at Ruger (without playing menu tag btw). He essentially diagnosed the problem to the cylinder rod and the retention button for the rod.

For anyone that has a New Model Single Six or a converted model, you’ll notice there is a spring loaded plunger on the end on the cylinder rod. That plunger is what pushes the transfer bar back so it will clear the firing pin while rising. Either crud in the rod or a bad spring in the rod is preventing the plunger from pushing the transfer bar back.

In addition, the spring that puts tension on the button to release the cylinder rod seems to not have enough tension. That is not allowing the rod to seat properly thus binding the whole system.

He’s going to talk to one of their techs. If the tech is comfortable with the solution they are going to send me a new rod and spring for the button. If he’s concerned with the timing or diagnosis they are going to have me send it in for the cost of shipping and X-fer.

Can’t beat that. This is my first experience with Ruger’s Customer Service. I have to say I am impressed!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Just send it back to Ruger, I sent a security six in that I had bought off here that had a bent cylinder, They sent back a NEW SP 101

I sent dad's old Bear Cat in. I paid to ship.
    It was a nice original gun but was stolen. When I gut it back. The hammer was funny, it would drop without pulling the trigger if ya touched it.
    The front sight was bent, cylinder pin missing Etc. So a few other things.
    And a few other things. It was Mexican carried. Had light pitting. the walnut grips were in need of help. They said the repairs were on them. And the refinish was on me.
    Fast forward. The girl calls me and says. They fixed everything. 100% free and were also paying the shipping back. I told her I had the grips as i was refin. them. She said she did not care they had to put some on to test fire it and wanted me to also have them too.
    Whe I git it back it had a dark mirror blue like Colt used to in the 60-70's Royal blue. And a trigger job.
    They refused to take my $. And said go teach kids to shoot with it like they knew must have been done with it in the past.
    So 25 bucks sending it back got me a better gun than a new one in the case. It is a real showpiece now.
    Ruger is top notch.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I have a few Rugers with thousands of rounds thew them with out trouble. That is the no. 1 reason I love Rugers. My Uncle read a lot of G&A and they talked up the strength of Rugers pistols. That's what got me to Rugers.
    I have never need Rugers c/s but they have a Great reputation. A co-worker had 2 Katrina guns, one a s/w and one Ruger. S/w said the gun sat in salt water and the metal was compromised and he should destroy the gun. Ruger said send us the gun. They refurbished his pistol for free. That the 2nd reason I love Rugers.

Wiley Coyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2018
    SW Louisiana
    Plus 1 on Ruger Customer Service! Out of 51 years of owning Ruger's I've only had two occasions to deal with their C/S. Both were parts issues in the last couple of years, 1 for a 10/22 and 1 for a 77/22. Both experiences were really rewarding. They couldn't have been more accommodating to my needs. Never had better service from anyone.

Top Bottom