Deer hunting with shotgun - plug or not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Okay ladies and gents -- I got a wager with my Brother-in-law on this one!!

Are you required to have a plug in your shotgun limiting it to 3 shells when deer hunting? I say NO.

I cannot find anything explicit in the 2017-2018 Louisiana Hunting Regulations that say anything about it, but he swears it is the "rule".....

I know BS answered this question for me about hunting with my M4 that there were no magazine size limits.

Thanks!!:cheers:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    According to wildlife agent that wrote me the ticket, yes. Plug is a must. His name is Teddy Adams. I was 18. Hunting behind Magnolia Ridge in Sr Charles Parish. I told judge Eddy Dufrene that I didn't know it was a law. He said your Mother and Father are both LEO. you should know better. 50 dollar fine......

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    well I guess I'm out $5.......:p

What is the logic of restricting a shotgun to 3 shells for deer hunting when I can take my rifle with a 30-round magazine fill it up?:confused:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    A shotgun can be used to hunt all species of game and Migratory game such as ducks, etc. are governed by Federal laws which limit shotguns to 2 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. I guess if your deer hunting you could conceivably shoot the ducks passing over your head. Rifles can't be used for migratory game.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    A shotgun can be used to hunt all species of game and Migratory game such as ducks, etc. are governed by Federal laws which limit shotguns to 2 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. I guess if your deer hunting you could conceivably shoot the ducks passing over your head. Rifles can't be used for migratory game.

Ok -- that holds water..... -- thanks.....

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    My daddy told me to just leave the plug in place....if I couldn't hit the deer/hog or whatever with three shots I wasn't going to hit it with the next two either.
    He was one of those old school hunters ...make the first shot count and you don't need any more. When I would go hunting with him he would give me one shell and say "don't waste it" . If I killed a squirrel or rabbit then he would give me another shell .
    But by leaving the plug in I learned to make the first shot count ...in truth it's that very first shot that's so important....after that you're just shooting into the bushes , and I never got a ticket for having the plug out.
    Gary

Last edited:

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Interesting conversation.

When I lived in TX, plug was only required for migratory game birds.

Quail hunting....load her up with whatever she'd take!

But, I haven't lived in TX since '99.

tim worthy

killin deer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2015
    baton rouge la
    i called the wildlife and fisheries about the same thing with a ar-10 to see if it was a max rounds you had to have and was told no i could hunt with a 30 round mag or whatever i wanted to so i dont know

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have a nice collection of plugs if someone finds them self needing one. Or cut a pencil down to 7 inches and wind a rubber band over each end and pop it down the feed tube (inside the spring) behind the follower.

And yeah, it only comes into play with a shotgun, although I do see hunters struggle with getting 5 and 10 round rifle mags to take their AR hunting.

Migratory waterfowl hunting and turkey hunting are the 2 pet peeves of DWF (feds) and the fines and fees tell the tale. I went to goose/duck hunt at my family’s place in TN one New Years and some guy in the pit with us got popped for having lead rounds... in a .22 cal pistol he had packed out to the pit. He had brought a little buck mark or something to shoot rabbits in the field behind us. The agent had been watching our pit and 2 blinds full of hunters all morning with 20x binoculars and waited his turn before meeting us at the trucks. Not one of those Browning BPS 10’s had the plug in until we were ready to leave the pit...but that’s why you keep someone looking out the back.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I have a nice collection of plugs if someone finds them self needing one. Or cut a pencil down to 7 inches and wind a rubber band over each end and pop it down the feed tube (inside the spring) behind the follower.

And yeah, it only comes into play with a shotgun, although I do see hunters struggle with getting 5 and 10 round rifle mags to take their AR hunting.

You collect shotgun plugs? I think that's frigg'n awesome !

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I thought you only need a plug if you were hunting migratory waterfowl regulated by the feds. I went through the Louisiana regulations pamphlet and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. If they don't say you can't do it, then it is legal.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I thought you only need a plug if you were hunting migratory waterfowl regulated by the feds. I went through the Louisiana regulations pamphlet and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. If they don't say you can't do it, then it is legal.

To be clear, it doesn't mention three shells max for deer, but does say max three shells for rabbit and squirrel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom