Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Ready, Shoot, Aim!

User Info Menu

Deer hunting with shotgun - plug or not?

Okay ladies and gents -- I got a wager with my Brother-in-law on this one!!

Are you required to have a plug in your shotgun limiting it to 3 shells when deer hunting? I say NO.

I cannot find anything explicit in the 2017-2018 Louisiana Hunting Regulations that say anything about it, but he swears it is the "rule".....

I know BS answered this question for me about hunting with my M4 that there were no magazine size limits.

Thanks!!

Marksman

User Info Menu

According to wildlife agent that wrote me the ticket, yes. Plug is a must. His name is Teddy Adams. I was 18. Hunting behind Magnolia Ridge in Sr Charles Parish. I told judge Eddy Dufrene that I didn't know it was a law. He said your Mother and Father are both LEO. you should know better. 50 dollar fine......
    """ When Donnie speaks, listen! I Do! """

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Hunting any game animal requires a plug, 2 in the tube 1 in the chamber, However....

No plug needed for outlaw quadrupeds like coyotes or hogs OR during special goose season
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Ready, Shoot, Aim!

User Info Menu

well I guess I'm out $5.......

What is the logic of restricting a shotgun to 3 shells for deer hunting when I can take my rifle with a 30-round magazine fill it up?

Monolithic Mentor

User Info Menu

A shotgun can be used to hunt all species of game and Migratory game such as ducks, etc. are governed by Federal laws which limit shotguns to 2 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. I guess if your deer hunting you could conceivably shoot the ducks passing over your head. Rifles can't be used for migratory game.

Ready, Shoot, Aim!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hunter5567 View Post
    A shotgun can be used to hunt all species of game and Migratory game such as ducks, etc. are governed by Federal laws which limit shotguns to 2 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. I guess if your deer hunting you could conceivably shoot the ducks passing over your head. Rifles can't be used for migratory game.
    Ok -- that holds water..... -- thanks.....

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

My cheapo Winchester only holds 3, not 5. So how can they expect me to use one?

1911 cool-aid drinker

User Info Menu

Benelli shotguns hold 4, 2 in the tube one on the lifter and one in the pipe.

Marksman

User Info Menu

My daddy told me to just leave the plug in place....if I couldn't hit the deer/hog or whatever with three shots I wasn't going to hit it with the next two either.
    He was one of those old school hunters ...make the first shot count and you don't need any more. When I would go hunting with him he would give me one shell and say "don't waste it" . If I killed a squirrel or rabbit then he would give me another shell .
    But by leaving the plug in I learned to make the first shot count ...in truth it's that very first shot that's so important....after that you're just shooting into the bushes , and I never got a ticket for having the plug out.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; March 15th, 2018 at 03:56 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Interesting conversation.

When I lived in TX, plug was only required for migratory game birds.

Quail hunting....load her up with whatever she'd take!

But, I haven't lived in TX since '99.