Need help with finding a light...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Alright, so long story short: I have dark tint on my SUV. I always back in. Seeing things behind me can be tough, even with a backup camera. I see many Jeeps with square LEDs on the back that are used to light up behind them.

I'm strongly considering putting two square LEDs on the inside of my SUV by the lower corners of the back window. The actual LEDs would not obstruct my view of the rear window as they would be hidden by my rear seats headrests.

Ideally, I would like something that could plug into the rear 12V plug and have a wire run up to the driver seat with a switch. I'd prefer NOT to wire it directly into the car.

With that being said, does anyone have any recommendations on options? I know people get pretty OCD about their lightbars and all that stuff, so I figure at least someone here will have experience on the matter.

Any opinions or help are welcome.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    The light may not penetrate the dark tint well and may also reflect back, lighting up the cab hindering your night vision. Try a temp solution like a flash light first and check results.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The light may not penetrate the dark tint well and may also reflect back, lighting up the cab hindering your night vision. Try a temp solution like a flash light first and check results.

That was definitely a consideration. I tried with a flashlight and having it flush with the window seems to work.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I have two slim led bars under my rear bumper wired in to a 3 way switch, they come on with my reverse lights or I can turn them off or on independently. I have maybe 50 bucks from Amazon in the whole kit and they've been on for 3+ years now.

Signstek 2PCS CREE LED Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor off Road Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GLLW3AM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sodOAbJ648SMW these are the lights I used, except they are a third of the price now.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Pretty sure THIS is what you need!

Attachments

• lights.jpg
      lights.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 76

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I wanted more light at the rear of my truck , so I wired up some lights ( external in my case ) and powered them through a 12 volt relay that was energized from the back up light circuit . Put it in reverse , lights come on , etc. The actual wiring is very simple .

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    You can also try EBAY for replacement multi led bulbs to replace stock bulbs. They are much brighter than the standard back up bulbs. I bought some and they light up remarkably brighter.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You can also try EBAY for replacement multi led bulbs to replace stock bulbs. They are much brighter than the standard back up bulbs. I bought some and they light up remarkably brighter.

I already have some of those. They are definitely better, but by no means as bright as a stand alone light bar.

I wanted more light at the rear of my truck , so I wired up some lights ( external in my case ) and powered them through a 12 volt relay that was energized from the back up light circuit . Put it in reverse , lights come on , etc. The actual wiring is very simple .

Where did you mount them?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Do you have a trailer hitch? Can you mount something next to the hitch and or where the hitch would go if you don't have one? I'll take a pic of what I'm talking about this weekend and text it to you.

Also, do you have legal tint?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Do you have a trailer hitch? Can you mount something next to the hitch and or where the hitch would go if you don't have one? I'll take a pic of what I'm talking about this weekend and text it to you.

Also, do you have legal tint?

I don't have a hitch.

I do have legal tint, for now. (In a SUV you can go as dark as you want in the back.)

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Alright, so long story short: I have dark tint on my SUV. I always back in. Seeing things behind me can be tough, even with a backup camera. I see many Jeeps with square LEDs on the back that are used to light up behind them.

I'm strongly considering putting two square LEDs on the inside of my SUV by the lower corners of the back window. The actual LEDs would not obstruct my view of the rear window as they would be hidden by my rear seats headrests.

Ideally, I would like something that could plug into the rear 12V plug and have a wire run up to the driver seat with a switch. I'd prefer NOT to wire it directly into the car.

With that being said, does anyone have any recommendations on options? I know people get pretty OCD about their lightbars and all that stuff, so I figure at least someone here will have experience on the matter.

Any opinions or help are welcome.

I have a set of lights on the back of my Jeep like the wide ones below. Cheap Chinese lights that haven't failed me in a couple of years. I just drilled a hole in the back bumper to mount them and hooked them up to a switch inside. Depending on what SUV you have, you may be able to incorporate them into the bumper.

https://www.amazon.com/Senlips-Ligh...rd_wg=24jPu&psc=1&refRID=AK5116WN5XJ90YZKS7S6

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Driv...d=1520457835&sr=1-4&keywords=flush+led+lights

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Swap your backup lights for brighter LED's.

I already did that. If you can find something that is like insanely bright though, hit me up. The ones I have now were $30 bucks or so and are decently bright, but not like I'd like.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Would you be interested in a locomotive headlight 14 volts?

Edit, Never mind, Will probably melt your bumper into a hot dripping mess.

That's okay. I don't really like the bumper anyway.

So anyone else have other recommendations?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That's okay. I don't really like the bumper anyway.

So anyone else have other recommendations?

So far there's been lights on the bumper, lights in the bumper, lights in the rear window, brighter reverse lights, and locomotive headlights. What about just replacing your back bumper with a 50" light bar or two?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So far there's been lights on the bumper, lights in the bumper, lights in the rear window, brighter reverse lights, and locomotive headlights. What about just replacing your back bumper with a 50" light bar or two?

Maybe six? Think that would work?

Top Bottom