Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

I Need a Youth/Compact Rimfire...

So my kid is turning 10 in a couple months, and I want to get him a plinker of his own. I need something in a youth/compact size. The Crickett is already on the edge of being too small, and I want to get him something he can grow into.

What I'd like: Youth size, threaded barrel (he loves shooting suppressed), preferably a bolt action but I may entertain a semi.

I have Ruger American Rimfire that he loves shooting, so I'm considering the youth model of that. Also considered a 10/22, but I haven't seen a youth model with threaded barrel. Just wanted to see if anyone had recommendations I may have not seen yet.

Not really looking at "tactical" style stuff (ARs etc) because I want him to appreciate the fundamentals of shooting as opposed to just blasting through ammo.

Thanks!

Redneck with a gun!

User Info Menu

Banned

User Info Menu

Tactical but not Tactical
    Adjustable LOP
    Threaded Barrel
    Detachable Magazines

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK shooter View Post
    He's only 10, not sure I'm ready to have the pistol brace talk with him yet.

Really though, that's a super slick setup. Definitely putting it on the list, thanks.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leadslinger972 View Post
    Tactical but not Tactical
    Adjustable LOP
    Threaded Barrel
    Detachable Magazines

Would be so perfect if it didn't weight 7lbs.

Marksman

User Info Menu

you can buy youth/women stocks for 10/22.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    Would be so perfect if it didn't weight 7lbs.
    Get some shooting sticks or a bipod. Nothing wrong with shooting from the prone. Shooting sticks don't teach them to rely on a stable platform either.

Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

Henry youth lever action is super fun to shoot. Or find a Remington Nylon 66, that was my first .22 and I still shoot it to this day.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.". Thomas Jefferson

Marksman

User Info Menu

Magnum Research Magnumlite 10/22 with adjustable buttstock

Marksman

User Info Menu

Next two should be accurate - but you'd have to thread them.
    1 - Keystone Sporting Arms makes some mid-sized stuff in the model 722 line. Same mfgr as Crickett.

2 - I have a Biathlon Basic. It is a bit on the smaller side. I'd have to weight it.
    IZHMASH Biathlon Basic 7-2-KO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giEUwi7nrNY
    Problem is it is pushing $1000.00 on price and no irons.

Air rifle - Daisy 853 Refurb from the CMP - $115 Shipped - incredible value

I also have a Kimber 82G that would be great if it didn't weight so much. What makes it so good is I can shoot from position, bipod, scope or irons by quickly reconfiguring it. So my suggestion is get a rifle you can switch from irons/scope easily.