Take 20 Seconds - Click Here to Email LA Representatives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    In general or just for teachers?
    Not down with the whole constitutional carry thing?

In general. Give an old lady a small .38 revolver and she has likely just given a weapon to a potential assailant without proper training. If anything, I'd like for LA to have an "enhanced carry" permit, something like MS, where you can carry in more places with substantially more training.

I try to take training courses every 2-3 months (or as free cash flow allows) and I still wouldn't say I am as prepared as I would like to be. Most CHP holders don't receive any training and rarely shoot. In a stressful situation with a weapon, they would likely be useless.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    For those of you that want to write to these politicians there are a few ways to be effective. Simple rules to always follow:
    a) Always place the correct salutation in front of the politicians name. eg. Senator / Representative. Whether to add "Honorable" or "Dear" or any other salutation add-on is optional.
    b) Always close with respectfully, or sincerely.
    c) Always put at least your first initial, and your entire last name.
    d) Always put the city from where you are writing, residing, etc.
    e) Providing your phone number adds another layer of importance and seriousness.

The type of letter you send matters too. However, just sending any correspondence to them on ANY issue is the most important thing of all. Remember, these politicians want to stay in power. To them you are a number in their numbers game. Only money is more important to them than individual votes or messages from their voters.

Of course, there is short and direct: Representative/Senator _________, Please vote NO on HB______. Or any variation thereof.
    In this instance, you represent a number of yeas or nays.

If you are a constituent of that Representative or Senator: Representative/Senator _________, As a voter in your district I am urging you to vote NO on HB________.
    You want them to vote the way YOU want them to vote since they "represent" YOU!

You can present a case or reason why you want them to lean your way or understand your position: Representative/Senator _________, I've been involved with the shooting sports my entire life. I also teach kids firearm safety. I am a lifelong hunter and outdoorsman. Having read the Bill, it would be a serious hardship for me to continue to teach kids the core values of the shooting sports and the freedoms that comes with that. etc., etc.

And finally, you could lay out a far more detailed case to include important issues that you think they should consider before taking the time to consider the measure you want them to vote down or have pulled; or describe other needs your state has that are more important than the matter you are actually talking about.

Whatever way you go, always remember at the very least; do something!

That is by far the most important element of this exercise.

Hope this helps.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Dear Mr. *****:
    Thank you for your letter regarding the recent tragedy in Parkland, FL. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

My heart goes out to the victims of this senseless act. No parent should ever have to mourn the loss of their child. We have unfortunately seen the lack of effective enforcement of current law lead to another tragic event. This should be our number one priority. It has been reported that the FBI was warned about the shooter threatening to attack a school several months prior. We need to investigate why this student slipped through the cracks, correct the problem and ultimately prevent this from happening again.

Additionally, like the majority of other mass shootings, mental illness appears to have been a factor. My legislation, the Mental Health Reform Act, which was signed into law in December of 2016 directs resources to help this population find treatment for their conditions. We need to enforce current laws to keep those suffering from mental illness from owning weapons. Please know I will continue to fight for our Second Amendment rights and a free society, while putting systems in place to prevent mass shootings and provide resources for the mentally ill.

I will continue to represent the views of my state and do so through hearing from constituents like you. Please continue to reach out, either by phone or by email, when you have another question or concern. You can reach my office in Washington DC at 202-224-5824 or submit an email at https://www.cassidy.senate.gov/contact

Sincerely,

Senator Bill Cassidy, M.D.

5erbye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Several days ago in this thread, I said I did not think meeting Louisiana's CHP requirements were sufficient for an adult who totes a handgun in a school as a security officer. I don't recall anyone hammering me for that, and I thank you. Here is a link to an article that documents the FBI's shooting skills requirements. It also has an excellent video demonstrating the whole thing. I would want a "resource officer" at my chlild's school to be able to pass this.
    https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/start-shooting-better-episode-7-fbi-qualification/

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One more thought to add to an excellent thread.

Don't bother writing long-winded letters to politicians to "educate" them. Most of these letters end up being read by legislative aides (usually college-aged kids), and they're reading them only to keep tally of pro-gun versus anti-gun correspondence. The form letters that are sent back are usually pretty generic and designed to be as inoffensive to everyone as possible.

Of course, write as long of a letter as you'd like ... just don't be surprised if you still only get a form letter back. Long gone are the days when politicians would actually read correspondence from their constituents, and respond in like.

Mike

Top Bottom