What is this thing worth?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feral45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2015
    Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
    I have a Para-Ordnance P14-40. All stainless. Holds 10+1 of .40 S&W. Low S/N. Made in Canada. Sides of hammer and slide are polished. 3,5 inch barrel is tapered and polished. Ramp, throat, and chamber are polished. It weighs 2 lbs. 8.25 oz. loaded. Less than 200 rounds. It's beautiful.
    I asked a couple vendors at the gun show and they could not find it in the "Big Book" and just threw up their hands, "I don't know, sorry."
    Ideas?

http://tinypic.com/r/11bmc1y/9

Gentlemen, Thank you for your interest and information. This place is an education. I think I will just sit on it for a while.
    Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. HA!

The market has decided. Sold on GunBroker for $575 to a retired gentleman in Texas.

Last edited:

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    Back when I bought my P-10, the Paras were considered high end. Solid stainless, made in Canada, one of the first high capacity 1911 type pistols. Mine is .45acp and I wouldn't put a price on it. The last reference I could find was in a Modern Gun Values published in 2011 by Gun Digest. They listed the P-14 at $649 new, $600 excellent and $550 good. Are you sure your barrel length is 3.5". I remember the P-15 as full size 5" inch, P-14 as Commander size 4.25 inches, the P-12 was 3.5 inches and the P-10 was 3 inches in length. Originally the P number was magazine capacity. Good luck with your sale. Dave

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I bought a p14 way back in 99 or 2000. It was 630 out the door at the old slidell gun show at the olde towne auditorium.

I picked up quite a few used paras since then. At least 2 or 3 p12s, a p10 warthog, a few lda 45s in both single and double stack. And a few others.

If memory serves me correctly, I never paid more than 600 for any of them. But that was then and this is now.

I have a P16 in 40 (it is the full size 5" barrel full length grip frame model so the same as a p14 in 45acp) that also has a 10mm barrel. Nice gun and it shoots 40 very well.

I would say it is worth somewhere between 600 and 900. A quick look on gunbroker did not find any in the configuration, but there are a few p16 40cals there. Perhaps it is rare, but not sure if it is desirable. A cool piece of gun history for sure.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Para did make a decent gun.
    But, they are not top end guns, never were considered as such. And there is no collectability value to them either. They are well made and some competition guys still like them. One downside is the magazines. A used P14-40 will go for between $400 and $550, depending upon how many mags go with it. They are worth every penny of that, it's unfortunate that they don't command a better price, but that is the way it is.
    If you pay more than that, you're crazy, just giving money away on something that pops up on Gunbroker and Buds frequently. When all the gun makers pushed 2011s for competition, allot of the market and desirability passed them up.
    BTW, I do think Remington or one of the other major makers just bought the rights to the Para design and will be producing the guns under a different brand.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If you do a google search you will see several that have sold in the past year. One blue at Bud’s for $460 and a few others around $500. There is a blue 14-45 with an extra 40 slide and barrel on gunbroker right now in the 5-600 range. They are good guns, but don’t typically get the price used that people want so they sit in them. Lots of times people put allot of money in them with custom gunsmithing expecting to get it back later. Doesn’t work that way, it’s still a Para. Good, solid gun, but not a collectible and doesn’t draw premiu prices.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    There are lots of Paras out there, mostly 45s. Very top end guns bring around a grand. The rest settle in the 600 range, up or down. The thing is that there is no "collectability" driving the market. They are good, solid guns that used to be very desired by the competition crowd. That isn't the case any longer. While they are good guns, there isn't anything about them that commands a top end price. Now that Remington bought the company and the rights, they may actually start making more of them in the near future.

Also, look at it this way. Why would someone pay 8 or 900 for a used para when they can pay the same or nearly so for a new or used springfield, kimber, sig or other mid grade 1911?

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's an interesting comparison of a Canadian made Para to a similar US made Para. It's not particularly complimentary to the Canadian version of the gun, concluding that the American version is better in almost every regard (and this, from a Canadian gun magazine at that):

https://calibremag.ca/para-canada-vs-para-usa-did-we-make-them-any-better/

This is not to say that all Canadian-made Paras are bad ... but their points are noted.

Mike

Top Bottom