Carry method recommendations for big guys

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay Ell Gee

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Baton Rouge, La
    Hey guys. I don’t chime in here as much as I should, but I got my carry permit last year and still haven’t found a super comfortable way to carry yet.

During my early college years, I was diagnosed with bad circulatory problems that were far advanced for my age. The further it progressed, the harder it became for me to stay active and take care of myself like I should, and now I am rocking some love handles until I lose the weight again (which I am working on now). After a series of surgeries and treatments spanning almost ten years, I’m finally active and most of my pain is very manageable.

Anyway, the idea of IWB concealment was a bit daunting at first. I am using a kydex OWB style holster made by vedder at 4:00 for the time being. At the moment, it works alright. The sweat guard digs into my side but it is otherwise manageable.

I’m beginning to look into the Stealthgear options such as the OWB flex and mini IWB. Does anyone else have experience with holsters like these, or have any other suggestions? Definitely curious to see what others prefer. Thanks in advance everyone for their advice in my matter. Hopefully it can help some other guys as well.

I carry a glock 26, if that matters at all.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've found the smaller footprint holster I can find, the better. I don't like those big leather backed ones or kydex with a lot of extra material, it's just more stuff to press into my hip or take up room in my pants. Speaking of pants, with a double stack gun like a G26, you are gonna have to go up a pants size to fit it. If your pants fit fine now, they'll be tight and uncomfortable with the gun in there. Also, get a good belt! Stiff leather, double layer preferably. That will distribute the weight around more, mine is from BWA Leather in Denham Springs, a side project of a good friend of mine.

Keep up the good work on getting healthier, it's a grind even without your health issues.

Jay Ell Gee

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Baton Rouge, La
    I've found the smaller footprint holster I can find, the better. I don't like those big leather backed ones or kydex with a lot of extra material, it's just more stuff to press into my hip or take up room in my pants. Speaking of pants, with a double stack gun like a G26, you are gonna have to go up a pants size to fit it. If your pants fit fine now, they'll be tight and uncomfortable with the gun in there. Also, get a good belt! Stiff leather, double layer preferably. That will distribute the weight around more, mine is from BWA Leather in Denham Springs, a side project of a good friend of mine.

Keep up the good work on getting healthier, it's a grind even without your health issues.

I appreciate the advice. The smaller footprint definitely makes sense. If I could get the handgun positioned a tiny bit lower on my waistline, it would clear the love handles and probably cause less comfort issues. An IWB rig is the only solution that I see for that.

I did heed all of the advice and got myself a nice reinforced belt. It is the Trackline made by Kore Essentials. Very comfortable with the micro adjustments.

I have already started dropping weight, so I definitely have room in my pants to try IWB. Just need to decide on a holster, I guess. The Stealthgear IWB mini is looking like a good option to try.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Contact local holster maker Will Silk at sckholsters@gmail.com
    Jasari on BS.

This ^^

Have you tried appendix carry with a quality holster and quality belt? I have seen some VERY out of shape guys carry that way.

Carrying will never be comfortable, but it's also not that bad once you get used to it.

ratchethead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    I find IWB at 6:00 is a lot more comfortable with the extra weight I'm carrying. I've seen endless online discussions about which position provides the fastest draw and 6:00 may or may not be slower, but it makes it much easier to carry every day.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I find IWB at 6:00 is a lot more comfortable with the extra weight I'm carrying. I've seen endless online discussions about which position provides the fastest draw and 6:00 may or may not be slower, but it makes it much easier to carry every day.

Speed of the draw
    Accessibility
    Comfort

Pick Two. You can't have all three.

Personally, I AIWB carry a Glock 34 with a WML, and I'm far from a small person.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Six o clock is not recommended for several reasons including slower to draw , easier for someone to disarm you and more likely to injure your spine in a fall.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I most certainly agree with Austin on this one. I'm 6' 230 lbs and carry AIWB daily. I actually prefer larger ("married") holsters as I feel they actually distribute the point load/pressure across a larger area of my abdomen...making it much more comfortable to me (as opposed the the G Code Incog I used to carry).

This ^^

Have you tried appendix carry with a quality holster and quality belt? I have seen some VERY out of shape guys carry that way.

Carrying will never be comfortable, but it's also not that bad once you get used to it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I didn't know that was him on here. I've been looking at his work on fb. I might need to try one for my 19 one day

Charlie, you won’t be disappointed. He is the only person I go to when I need holsters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Charlie, you won’t be disappointed. He is the only person I go to when I need holsters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I second that. Will is awesome and his work speaks for itself.

rocko

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    Greenwell Springs (Central)
    At 5'9" and 235# I went to jeans with elastic waist. With a IWB holster, I wear suspenders under a cover shirt. Suspenders make it a lot more comfortable and they are not visible.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I ordered another one from SCK Holsters last night.

Will makes good stuff.

40192708411_7666371135_c.jpg

39795836222_0219d45887_b.jpg

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Get a mic holster. Been carrying with it for 10 years. Only holster besides a duty holster i use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom