Need your thoughts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I am building a DPMS pattern AR10 in .308. I have the 20" Ballistic Advantage Premium Series Rifle length gas system barrel already which is soon going to have some fluting added to it and ceracoated black. The barrel will sport a Seekins Precision adjustable gas block, the one that requires an allen wrench to adjust. I want to go with the Midwest Industries rail with an ID of 1.5" due to the built in QD point locations and possible future can usage.

My indecision is with the handguard length. At first I was thinking to go with a 15" guard so as to not require such a long allen wrench to reach the adjustment points but now I am thinking I should go with an 18" to give more barrel coverage and have a bipod mounted further out. This will be my first adjustable gas block and I am not sure if it would be possible to get to the adjustment points from the side of the rail if I go with the 18". Also the hand guard will also be getting some time on the CNC machine to remove a little weight from the rail area in the way of drilling a hole through every other rib of the rail. So, what are your thoughts/experience.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Personally i would go for the 15 inch. Less flex in the rail, less weight, probably cheaper too and less time on the mill. Plus having the bipod further out will make it more front heavy as it will have more leverage to pull the nose down when moving it. Thats about all i can say without knowing what you intend to do with the rifle. Range toy? Hunter? End-of-days sniper? If its just for looks get whatever you want. Besides, odds are once the gas is set you won't be messing with it again anyway.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    I would go with the 15" hand guard as well. Wouldn't worry about Ceracoating the barrel as only 3.75" will stick out of the hand guard before it gets to the flash hider. A 20" hand guard would almost go to the flash hider
    A 9-13 notched leg, Harris bipod almost goes to the barrel end(1" short) with a 15" hand guard(with 20" barrel) with the legs in as far as they will go.
    An 18" hand guard would have the legs out past the end of the barrel by 2". This would seem self-defeating for OAL

Unless you really like the Seekins gas block for some reason, the SLR is excellent and is adjusted from the front. The SLR uses a leaf spring instead of a small coil spring. I use the SLR on all my rifles and rifles I've built for customers.

A Geissele 2 stage trigger would be more of an asset than fluting the barrel. Drilling holes in the hand guard will remove a negligible amount of weight.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    This build is for multi purpose role, function over astetics. Testing my reloads, also work on my distance shooting and maybe one day as a grub getter. My home range is pretty much limited to 100 yards but I want to find someplace to stretch things out. I do have to agree about the gas block setting, although it will be tested pretty well before it reaches the leave it alone stage.

Actually I just got back from talking to Josh at Apoc. Sports about it and he pretty much said the same. Just looking for a general consensus on the issue.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    +1 on the SLR gas block, they make excellent products. They also sell extended length allen wrenches to adjust the gas setting, so handguard length is a non issue.

As for handguard length, as mentioned the benefit of longer would be putting the bipod further out for more stability, but I would be concerned with flex on a Midwest handguard that long. I think I’d probably just go 15” and cal it a day, that’s plenty long enough and will balance a little a better than a full length rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Ok, I am sold with the idea of going with a 15" handguard, more pros and less cons than with an 18". As for the gas block I already have it and it was $60 compared to $100+ for the SLR. So far it does have a good feel and balance when shouldering it with the LuthAR MBA3 stock.

Want to say thank you for your input in helping me make the decision.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Just looked at the Seekins gas block and it looks like you would need a front and side access as it has to be adjusted in the front and then on the side you have to tighten down a set screw. I know it was only $60 but the nicer adj gas blocks have a spring and detent and you only need to move one screw usually from the front.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    yea I plan on doing a test mount with the gas block and handguard before I even pin the gas tube to make sure I can get to the adjustment point thru the handguard. I am going with the seekins because it is what Johnny's Reloading Bench uses and I am doing my build to somewhat match his 308 build.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Ordered and received from Brownells a MidWest Industries MLoc 15" handguard. Hoping the barrel fluting will be completed soon.
    It looks good and feels good so far.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Why are you fluting the barrel?
    You may end up putting stresses in the barrel that negatively affect the accuracy.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    adding fluting to aid in cooling and a little weight reduction as it is a heavy profile barrel that weighs 3.5 pounds. The top spine of the barrel will be untouched by the fluting and there will be plenty of metal untouched by the flutes.

You are correct I may end up ruining a brand new barrel. There are plenty of factory fluted barrels on the market. I hope that fluting it does not, but I am comfortable with the risk and trust the person doing it for me. Besides that, the fluting is costing me nothing to have done.

Once my barrel is done with being fluted and ceracoated I plan on posting before and after pictures as well as an accuracy report.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom