Gunbroker stories

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Lets have your gunbroker stories, horror and success.

I won a well worn but mechanically sound s&w hand ejector in .38s&w.
    When I emailed the vendor to confirm address for ffl and check he replied that the shop was out of town at a gun expo and would be back in 4 days. No biggie to me, so I sent off the check and ffl.
    After a week I got a message telling me that they had mislabeled the gun. It really was .38spc. I told them I did not want it. They replied that I had won the auction and now It was mine. I canceled my check, and contacted gunbroker. Gunbroker told me it was my responsibility to confirm item details before bidding.
    So now my gunbroker account is frozen, not that I plan on using it ever again.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Needed a M1A barrel. Medium weight National Match take off. No rounds fired. Took .002* off the shoulder timed and torqued up perfect. Shoots 1/2* groups at 100 yards. Best $125.00 I ever spent. :hs:

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I bought a reduced pull weight spring for my fostech echo trigger, I sold my FN FNC paratrooper and a COP 357. All transactions were smooth sailing.

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    Bought a complete slide for a gun project. Didn't hear anything for 2 weeks so I called & come to find out the company doesn't follow up on their gunbroker account. Owner threw in some extra goodies to make up for it.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I've been a long-time buyer; never a seller. I haven't had any problems and great experiences. I'll pass on items when the seller doesn't have a good and established track record. I like single actions and levers and those are difficult to find in South Louisiana, especially around NOLA. I wanted a Bergara B-14 HMR and could never even hold one in Louisiana. I go to Gun Broker for those items that are less popular which seem to be everything not black and not semi-auto. I've built up a good buyer reputation and most sellers accept personal checks from me. All good experiences.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I am very new to GB, but have purchased three handguns from there so far with no issues whatsoever. It's a great place to find more Smith & Wesson 2nd and 3rd Gens for my collection at great prices that usually beat the heck out of pawn shop prices. I also find those older pistols on GB are in much better shape than at the local pawn shops. So, no complaints from me so far. One thing I have noticed though is that the prices on newer firearms on GB can be outrageous. But, for older stuff that is becoming harder to find in good shape, GB has been great for me so far. 3 out of 3 very positive experiences.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    To the OP, I’d challenge the decision made by GB. If the gun was *mislabeled* and you have proof of the vendor admitting that, it’s clearly their fault. That’s called false advertising, mistake or not. Sounds like they let you know after the fact only to cover their ass or perhaps as part of a bait and switch plan. One that you cannot be held to. I would plead my case now.
    Responsibility to make sure you know what you’re buying only goes so far if the item is misrepresented. I would call them out as being unfair and blaming you for the seller misrepresenting the item. Then after the mess was cleared up I’d tell them to eat a spotted dick

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Was looking for a snubby and came across a used S&W Model 36. The gun was in relatively good condition, other than the bobbed hammer and single action notch removed. The guy was asking $325 and I was able to negotiate with him down to $200. It was a great deal and the transaction was painless. Oh wait... That was at my local gun shop.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Couple of years ago I listed a single-shot H&R shotgun, factory nickel frame and vent rib, on GB, expecting to get maybe $250. Bids went to $300, then two bidders got into a war, $400, $500. I told my wife, someone is screwing with me, this can't be real. So I blocked one bidder that seemed suspicious. The other guy, in Texas, won just under $600. Turns out both were legitimate. I asked the winner, what were you thinking?? He said, I just wanted that gun, didn't care what it cost! I said, well, I hate to overcharge you. Let's call it $350, shipped to your FFL. He was happy. Just didn't want to gouge anyone. Never heard from the other bidder.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Bought a 686+ from a gunbroker seller in nola, was able to drive down and do a FTF deal and save shipping and ffl. Wish he would have replied sooner as I missed the buy it now and spent a bit more, still a good price though

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i have, it is part of their policy to "confirm all details of the item before bidding".

Last edited:

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    i have, it is part of their policy to "confirm all details of the item before bidding".

I've been on gunbroker since 2000. Had a guy walk with money for pre ban mags in 2001 but that's it. Last thing I bought was in 2016. What I learned in that mag experience though is that unlike ebay which has strong buyer protection policies, gunbroker is set up to protect sellers first & foremost. In the mag experience, I couldn't even get a response from gunbroker, either a live person on the phone or an email.

In your case, it's very clear the seller made an error and on ebay, you'd be covered but on gunbroker I wouldn't breathe easy until they actually clear you & from other stories I've heard, they probably won't (which is bs).

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    Several years ago, I won an auction for a box of 50 Navy Arms .41 short. I sent payment and never heard back from the seller. After several months of emails to the seller, he finally stated that he was having to move from the state that he was in to Florida and that I would get my box soon. After more emails and a complaint to Gun Broker early in this transaction, I am still without that box. I finally found another, of course, for more money from a different site.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Several years ago, I won an auction for a box of 50 Navy Arms .41 short. I sent payment and never heard back from the seller. After several months of emails to the seller, he finally stated that he was having to move from the state that he was in to Florida and that I would get my box soon. After more emails and a complaint to Gun Broker early in this transaction, I am still without that box. I finally found another, of course, for more money from a different site.

Yours is not an isolated case. Gunbroker offers their claimed "buyer protection", but its really just BS. GB protects the sellers really, the people who pay their fees. Oh and the GB buyer protection has a $100 deductible right off the bat.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ive bought several items since i started my account back in 05.

this is my first bad experience, and of course its completely removed my ability to use gunbroker, even if i wanted.

Top Bottom