Family Heirloom Thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Do you have a family heirloom you would like to share! Post it here!

Recently received this from a family member, One of Granddads' Saturday night specials..

Arminius revolver 7 shot HW5, He paid a whopping $49.95 for it on 11/18/68

Comes with a box of 32's I would guess the gun has never been fired?

If you have something you want to share then post up! Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG01285.jpg
      IMAG01285.jpg
      268.3 KB · Views: 498

oneshy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Houma La
    Grandpa's hand-built double barrel 12ga from Eibar, Spain. And a damascus double, which I believe is German. I'll have to get pics.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Old .22

I have my grandfather's Winchester Model 12 pump shotgun .

I have my Dad's old single shot Springfield .22 bolt action. He used it to shoot rabbits to feed the family back in the 1930s. He "refinished" the stock with motor oil or something because he didn't have any linseed oil. Bore shines like a new dime, still shoots good groups.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    No gun, but my dad passed me down a Rolex president day date. I don't really wear it, but plan to hand it down to my daughter or son when they get older.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    My grandfather gave my mom this pistol when she started commuting to Southeastern University in the mid 60's. Understand we lived near Enon and it was all back roads to Hammond.
    She already had six of us and decided to earn an education degree while teaching part time. Didn't leave a lot of time for child rearing. I think my siblings and I would be considered free range kids by todays standard. Luckily we lived on a 20 acre far, three miles to our nearest neighbor and no telephone.
    I'll never know the back story on this pistol as I was only ten when paw paw passed.
    My grand paw opened a bar in Covington right after prohibition ended. It was called Charlie's and was very close to the courthouse. It had the customary pool tables, poboys and fresh shucked oysters.
    Could never dig a damn hole in the long driveway at our farm as it had an bullet proof layer of oyster shells.
    He sold the bar to one of his sisters and her husband which was renamed Nathan's Poyboy's. This was next to the Gibson St. bar. Some of you locals may remember it.
    Charlie also owned little rental homes so the manner in which he acquired this pistol is only limited by your imagination.
    Those lowly rental homes he built are now known as Lee Lane. Your wife will love you for taking you to shop in the quant boutigue shops lining the street. Who would have imagined that.
    If you visit Smith's Hardware and view the museum you will find a cypress pirogue among the display. My gramps had open range cattle around Enon and would haul the calves out of the river basin in it when the Bogue Chitto flooded.
    I used to sneak this pistol out and shoot it. I could never hit the side of a barn with it.
    The marking are almost buffed of of it, It must have been a rusty POS. It's been re-chromed. The handgrips are not damaged and probably worth more than the pistol.
    Here she is my friends. To some it's just a used up pistol but it is so much more to me.
    i-m7jwvKv-XL.jpg

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Have a couple of vintage, heirloom pieces. My fav is definitely this Winchester 1895 in 30-03, circa 1909. It’s been passed from Uncles to Nephews over the years...I was the most recent recipient.
    bdaf45d41710c9a1467d7c23f7a3ea49.jpg

5ebfe87ba70a6193892043ad52ddfa32.jpg

09eae34625754d8fafdbd81d49c9f5e9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Currently wearing my grandfathers (my mothers father) wedding ring that he made out of a shiny silver metal threaded nut while he worked at Home Lumber CO in Amite, La many many years ago using hand tools/files/etc. Still has faint thread marks on inside of ring. Story goes he had lost his wedding band and made this as a replacement. While attending a family gathering at my mothers house with brothers and sisters in laws it as passed around for show and tell. Mother asked if had fit anybody and I responded YES ME and then she asked if I wanted it and replied I would be honored to wear pawpaws ring and immedately removed the gold wedding band handing it to my wife and placing pawpaws ring on my finger and wife did not protest and have worn it now for at least 20 yrs. Family heirloom for sure ............................................. drill sgt.

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    Coolest thing I have is my grandpaws s&w 38 revolver. Nothing special about the pistol but its story. It was given to my moms dad by my dads dad. They became great friends and hunting buddies when my parents got married. They stayed close even after my parents divorce. Almost every hunting and fishing trip I took included both of them. They were great men and role models for me. They always said. Just because our kids cant get along doesn't mean we cant stay friends. I have a lot of guns from both men but this pistol was a present from one grandpa to the other. That's why its special. I miss them both.

RRB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Lafayette
    My favorite firearm heirloom is a P-38 my father brought from France. He carried it for awhile in combat (wasn't crazy about the 1911). The most interesting feature about the pistol is that there are what appears to be an Indian head scratched in shallow relief on each one of the bakelite grips. I have read that the Germans often referred to Americans, and sometimes Brits, as "Indianers" when engaging them in combat. I've often wondered if the markings made by the owner previous to my father were "notches".

veiKUrd.jpg

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    My favorite firearm heirloom is a P-38 my father brought from France. He carried it for awhile in combat (wasn't crazy about the 1911). The most interesting feature about the pistol is that there are what appears to be an Indian head scratched in shallow relief on each one of the bakelite grips. I have read that the Germans often referred to Americans, and sometimes Brits, as "Indianers" when engaging them in combat. I've often wondered if the markings made by the owner previous to my father were "notches".

veiKUrd.jpg

That's some trench art and pretty cool story.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Only interesting hand-downs I have are GrandPa's pair of silver and bronze (copper?) inlay spurs from the Texas panhandle area and a 1939 German Luger S-42 Mauser that Dad liberated from one of Rommel's marines around 1943-44 in North Africa in WWII. Would include pics if I could figure out how.
    Ed

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    These are both of my grandfather's shotguns, A Fox Sterlingworth on my father's side and a Winchester Model 12 on my mother's side. When I first saw and hunted with these shotguns, they looked pretty well used from putting meat on the table probably for decades. They've both been restored now since they took a bath in Katrina.

Couldn't figure out why the pictures below are rotated, but if you click on them they show correctly.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    On the left is an 1873 Winchester that my Father got for his 21[SUP]st[/SUP] birthday (1956). He took it to a gunsmith who told him it has been bored out to .38 cal. I recently put calipers across the muzzle and got a reading of .330''. It is still .32-20 and not .38-40 or .38-55. What this means is Dad never shot it.

On the right is a .410 shotgun that Dad gave to my Mother in when they got married in 1965. When I was a lot younger I reached in a closet for it, chambered a round, and went to dispatch a copperhead I had spotted in a pasture. Dad caught me with it and explained that it was my Mother’s gun and that she would be the first one to shoot it and I was going to put it back. Notice the inspection sticker still on the trigger guard. Mom never got the opportunity to shoot it. It is still unfired since leaving the factory.

The bible on the left says Charlotte Ratts Charlestown, Indiana 1871 on the inside cover. This has to have come from my Grandmother’s family. She died in 1938 and therefore I’m unfamiliar with that name. Yeah, it’s 150 years old this year.

The dirty, moldy bible on the right is over 100 years old. On the outside it says New Testament Army Navy edition. On the inside it is stamped Walther League Chicago, Il. It’s in poor shape because Uncle Carl (my Grandfather’s Brother in law) carried it in Europe during World War 1. I have no idea why it has a baseball card in it from 1977.

20210401_183526.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom