Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    *Banned*

User Info Menu

Cool story paddle !
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Family Heirloom Thread

Have a couple of vintage, heirloom pieces. My fav is definitely this Winchester 1895 in 30-03, circa 1909. Itís been passed from Uncles to Nephews over the years...I was the most recent recipient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BlueShamu; March 4th, 2021 at 07:13 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Currently wearing my grandfathers (my mothers father) wedding ring that he made out of a shiny silver metal threaded nut while he worked at Home Lumber CO in Amite, La many many years ago using hand tools/files/etc. Still has faint thread marks on inside of ring. Story goes he had lost his wedding band and made this as a replacement. While attending a family gathering at my mothers house with brothers and sisters in laws it as passed around for show and tell. Mother asked if had fit anybody and I responded YES ME and then she asked if I wanted it and replied I would be honored to wear pawpaws ring and immedately removed the gold wedding band handing it to my wife and placing pawpaws ring on my finger and wife did not protest and have worn it now for at least 20 yrs. Family heirloom for sure ............................................. drill sgt.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Coolest thing I have is my grandpaws s&w 38 revolver. Nothing special about the pistol but its story. It was given to my moms dad by my dads dad. They became great friends and hunting buddies when my parents got married. They stayed close even after my parents divorce. Almost every hunting and fishing trip I took included both of them. They were great men and role models for me. They always said. Just because our kids cant get along doesn't mean we cant stay friends. I have a lot of guns from both men but this pistol was a present from one grandpa to the other. That's why its special. I miss them both.

User Info Menu

My favorite firearm heirloom is a P-38 my father brought from France. He carried it for awhile in combat (wasn't crazy about the 1911). The most interesting feature about the pistol is that there are what appears to be an Indian head scratched in shallow relief on each one of the bakelite grips. I have read that the Germans often referred to Americans, and sometimes Brits, as "Indianers" when engaging them in combat. I've often wondered if the markings made by the owner previous to my father were "notches".

*Banned*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RRB View Post
    My favorite firearm heirloom is a P-38 my father brought from France. He carried it for awhile in combat (wasn't crazy about the 1911). The most interesting feature about the pistol is that there are what appears to be an Indian head scratched in shallow relief on each one of the bakelite grips. I have read that the Germans often referred to Americans, and sometimes Brits, as "Indianers" when engaging them in combat. I've often wondered if the markings made by the owner previous to my father were "notches".

That's some trench art and pretty cool story.
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Ed

User Info Menu

Only interesting hand-downs I have are GrandPa's pair of silver and bronze (copper?) inlay spurs from the Texas panhandle area and a 1939 German Luger S-42 Mauser that Dad liberated from one of Rommel's marines around 1943-44 in North Africa in WWII. Would include pics if I could figure out how.
    Ed
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21
    "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword [weapon], sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

Marksman

User Info Menu

These are both of my grandfather's shotguns, A Fox Sterlingworth on my father's side and a Winchester Model 12 on my mother's side. When I first saw and hunted with these shotguns, they looked pretty well used from putting meat on the table probably for decades. They've both been restored now since they took a bath in Katrina.

Couldn't figure out why the pictures below are rotated, but if you click on them they show correctly.

Sara mo ki kara ochiru

*Banned*

User Info Menu

Very nice men, I like those Old Work Horse's , If they could tell the tale ?

On Target

User Info Menu

On the left is an 1873 Winchester that my Father got for his 21st birthday (1956). He took it to a gunsmith who told him it has been bored out to .38 cal. I recently put calipers across the muzzle and got a reading of .330''. It is still .32-20 and not .38-40 or .38-55. What this means is Dad never shot it.

On the right is a .410 shotgun that Dad gave to my Mother in when they got married in 1965. When I was a lot younger I reached in a closet for it, chambered a round, and went to dispatch a copperhead I had spotted in a pasture. Dad caught me with it and explained that it was my Mother’s gun and that she would be the first one to shoot it and I was going to put it back. Notice the inspection sticker still on the trigger guard. Mom never got the opportunity to shoot it. It is still unfired since leaving the factory.

The bible on the left says Charlotte Ratts Charlestown, Indiana 1871 on the inside cover. This has to have come from my Grandmother’s family. She died in 1938 and therefore I’m unfamiliar with that name. Yeah, it’s 150 years old this year.

The dirty, moldy bible on the right is over 100 years old. On the outside it says New Testament Army Navy edition. On the inside it is stamped Walther League Chicago, Il. It’s in poor shape because Uncle Carl (my Grandfather’s Brother in law) carried it in Europe during World War 1. I have no idea why it has a baseball card in it from 1977.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210401_183526.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	104670
    Last edited by Fordfella; April 1st, 2021 at 06:29 PM.