Going to China

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Try some Chinese food.

I'm friends with a guy that owns a chinese restaurant (Best Wok in LaPlace!). He came over to the US as a teenager. He laughs at our Chinese food. he said they ate rice and veggies wokked but that's about it. No sweet and sour, no general tso... and certainly no all you can eat buffets!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I liked my time in China. Beijing you definitely want to go to the forbidden city, the palaces, a traditional Chinese tea ceremony and a Peking duck dinner. I also went off the beaten path a bunch and ate off stands and small restaurants.

Make sure you bring flushable wipes and sanitizer wipes in case you get caught up somewhere (like the Great wall or a community bathroom). Water... hydrate. The Chinese are a bartering culture, so you will be able to always negotiate while buying things, especially in the Pearl Market etc.

I'll be going to all of the above on Friday :]

Thanks for that reminder. I bought a pack of Dude Wipes to keep with me just in case haha

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Are you in Tulane’s mba program? I have a neighbor going to China for her mba class and my brother went 2 years ago I’m the same program

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Also, my att phone worked great with the international plan. But download a vpn app like astril before you go. A lot of websites are banned.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I'm friends with a guy that owns a chinese restaurant (Best Wok in LaPlace!). He came over to the US as a teenager. He laughs at our Chinese food. he said they ate rice and veggies wokked but that's about it. No sweet and sour, no general tso... and certainly no all you can eat buffets!

So, why isn't he selling traditional Chinese food then? What's funnier, American Chinese food, or the guy making and serving it? I've been to that restaurant a few times. Real nice people and food is good. Thankful it isn't "authentic".

I worked at an Italian restaurant when I was a kid. The owners were immigrants from Sicily. They had all the American traditional dishes like spaghetti & meatballs, chicken/veal Parm, fettucine alfredo, lasagna, pizza, etc. Occasionally, one of the owners would prepare an authentic dish. I recall once he brought in two large fresh whole squid. He prepared one in a thin red sauce and the other in a soupy garlic butter. Both squid were basically whole. When cooked, the tentacles folded back and it looked like a creature from a sci-fi movie. It smelled horrible and tasted even worse. It never made it to the menu. He ate the hell out of it though. That may be comfort food in Sicily, but was not going to sell here.

So, in retrospect, we laughed at his idea of Italian food, even if it was authentic, that dish sucked. Americanizing Chinese (and Italian to a lesser degree) food is probably the best thing that ever happened to it.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Visiting one of the floating restaurants in Hong Kong was a good way to spend an evening, last time I was there. Google "Hong Kong Floating Restaurant" for additional information. Getting there by Junk (which included a harbor tour) was part of the fun.

For entertainment on the trip you might want to consider purchasing one of the iPhone external stick drives, the one that connects to the lightning connector and then curls around the back of the phone (if you are taking an iPhone). Walmart has a 32 GB for about $30, and Best Buy has larger sizes. It's good to preload movies for a trip, and also to download or backup photos from your phone. I'm sure they have them for android also. Most are stick sized and have a connector to fit your phone on one end and a USB connector on the other end. Handy size and don't need cables.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Visiting one of the floating restaurants in Hong Kong was a good way to spend an evening, last time I was there. Google "Hong Kong Floating Restaurant" for additional information. Getting there by Junk (which included a harbor tour) was part of the fun.

For entertainment on the trip you might want to consider purchasing one of the iPhone external stick drives, the one that connects to the lightning connector and then curls around the back of the phone (if you are taking an iPhone). Walmart has a 32 GB for about $30, and Best Buy has larger sizes. It's good to preload movies for a trip, and also to download or backup photos from your phone. I'm sure they have them for android also. Most are stick sized and have a connector to fit your phone on one end and a USB connector on the other end. Handy size and don't need cables.

We ate at the floating restaurant that you referenced and took a boat ride up and down the river as well. It was delicious!

The Great Wall was absolutely incredible. Beijing was cool, but not somewhere I would go back to. Hong Kong was freaking awesome. We had a great time there and did a lot. Shenzhen was okay - better than Beijing, but no where near as nice as Hong Kong.

I managed to read a few books on each flight and then hung in the 1st class lounges at the airports on connections, which was nice. The flights all had touchscreen TVs and I intended on watching a movie or two, but I ended up just reading more on my Kindle, haha!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Get a couple suits made if you don't already own nicely tailored suits. Turn around for a fully custom suit should be about 2 days, and cost 250-350 bucks including shirt. That's for a wool, fully custom tailored suit where you pick the fabric, inner lining etc. Nice slim fit etc.

Got a suit, sport coat, and two button-downs!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Was it as cheap as it was a few years back? My brother actually has suits from China, Thailand, and Vietnam and they are all high quality fabrics.

$881 USD for all that I got.

Top Bottom