Going to China

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So, I'm heading to China pretty soon (Beijing, Hong Kong, and Shenzhen). Any advice on things to do there from people who have been there?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Get a couple suits made if you don't already own nicely tailored suits. Turn around for a fully custom suit should be about 2 days, and cost 250-350 bucks including shirt. That's for a wool, fully custom tailored suit where you pick the fabric, inner lining etc. Nice slim fit etc.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Get a couple suits made if you don't already own nicely tailored suits. Turn around for a fully custom suit should be about 2 days, and cost 250-350 bucks including shirt. That's for a wool, fully custom tailored suit where you pick the fabric, inner lining etc. Nice slim fit etc.

Good advice. I actually have an appointment with Sam's Tailorshop (the super popular one in Hong Kong). I already have suits in all of the major colors and designs, so I think I am going to go with a pinstripe navy and then maybe some sport coat that is a little less reserved.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    So, I'm heading to China pretty soon (Beijing, Hong Kong, and Shenzhen). Any advice on things to do there from people who have been there?

I went a couple years ago. Tiananmen Square and the forbidden city are must see’s. Be prepared to have your picture taken a lot, especially if you look like the big show.

The Great Wall is only about an hour van ride from Beijing, and probably one of the coolest things I have ever been to. The ski lift to the top is sketchy at best, make sure you buy a nice cold beer at the top to drink while you take in the sights, and ride the toboggan back down the mountain.
    If you take a tour, don’t let the guide sucker you into a authentic tea party, or Peking duck dinner. They all get kickbacks for bringing tourists in.

I spent much more time in Shanghai than Beijing. If you head there, let me know. If you want to do some research before you go, there is a great podcast on the history of China by Laszlo Montgomery. It is kind of slow at times, but you really learn a lot and it gives tons of insight on why things are the way they are now. The sections on Mao and the Great Leap Forward were very eye opening to me.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    a good verbal translation app for your phone, and sim card for your visit to china. you can order the sim card online or stop at any of the asian phone shops to get one.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Bring a burner phone and a throwaway phone number. You don't want to take your personal electronics there if you are touring.

Also, be prepared to know less about China when you're leaving than you did when you came :D It will make you look wise.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I went a couple years ago. Tiananmen Square and the forbidden city are must see’s. Be prepared to have your picture taken a lot, especially if you look like the big show.

The Great Wall is only about an hour van ride from Beijing, and probably one of the coolest things I have ever been to. The ski lift to the top is sketchy at best, make sure you buy a nice cold beer at the top to drink while you take in the sights, and ride the toboggan back down the mountain.
    If you take a tour, don’t let the guide sucker you into a authentic tea party, or Peking duck dinner. They all get kickbacks for bringing tourists in.

I spent much more time in Shanghai than Beijing. If you head there, let me know. If you want to do some research before you go, there is a great podcast on the history of China by Laszlo Montgomery. It is kind of slow at times, but you really learn a lot and it gives tons of insight on why things are the way they are now. The sections on Mao and the Great Leap Forward were very eye opening to me.

We actually are doing that on Friday, haha! I know a lady who owns a guide company for MBAs, and she'll be meeting us on Friday and showing us around. They also prepaid for all of our tickets for us, so we don't have to wait in lines :]

I'm definitely looking forward to the Wall. I didn't know they had beer at the top, but that makes it sound oh so much more appealing.

I'll throw the podcast on tonight while packing.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Well, I'm sure I could recommend some places, however the last time I was in HK it was still "owned" by the British! We were the last US Navy vessel to visit HK before the Chinese took back over...so it's been a few years and everything has probably changed! There was a really cool garden & zoo there, plus a few nice temples. The recommendation about a suit is spot on, there were lots of places that made custom silk suits for extremely cheap prices. Make sure you take the ferry and take pics from it, I'm sure it still has some of the best views...even 20+yrs later. Have fun.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Austin,

My wife collects money from all over the world (not just from my paycheck!). If possible, and legal, could you bring me back a few coins and perhaps some samples of low value paper currency? Of course I'll pay you back.

Thanks!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Austin,

My wife collects money from all over the world (not just from my paycheck!). If possible, and legal, could you bring me back a few coins and perhaps some samples of low value paper currency? Of course I'll pay you back.

Thanks!

Yeah, I can see what I can do. I already got some CNY and HKG from my bank. I may also have some South African currency left over from my trip a few months ago.

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US
    Austin,

Lan kwai fong is/was main entertainment / restaurant area on HK itself. But you'll find good food everywhere. Peng Chau and other islands offer great sea food.

Temples and Big Buddha statue.

The Peak, from which you can see "all of HK" (not really but much of it).

Sail a junk around HK island.

Take a day-trip to Macau (former Portuguese colony). Town square is nice, will see much of how HK looked century ago, more so than in HK itself these days. There's even a hotel in a cave on main island of Macau.

Shenzhen has changed so much over the years I can't recommend anything in particular.

To add to what someone else mentioned about HK's return to China: it was very fitting to see Prince Charles standing under an umbrella in the pouring rain. Fact is, China originally was very content leaving HK under British control. China didnt want the socio-political headache.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have wondered in China do they grab a cheap American lunch. And think man this hamburger and fries are great. But what kind of meat is it at the price they sold it for. Mystery Meat.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I liked my time in China. Beijing you definitely want to go to the forbidden city, the palaces, a traditional Chinese tea ceremony and a Peking duck dinner. I also went off the beaten path a bunch and ate off stands and small restaurants.

Make sure you bring flushable wipes and sanitizer wipes in case you get caught up somewhere (like the Great wall or a community bathroom). Water... hydrate. The Chinese are a bartering culture, so you will be able to always negotiate while buying things, especially in the Pearl Market etc.

Top Bottom