AR .22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I’m in the market for a AR .22 need the controls to function like a regular AR and lightweight is good being a very small 8yo is gonna be shooting it.

Any suggestions on ones to look at and or avoid?

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I’m in the market for a AR .22 need the controls to function like a regular AR and lightweight is good being a very small 8yo is gonna be shooting it.

Any suggestions on ones to look at and or avoid?

Best thing to get would be an upper for your existing AR or a conversion kit... but if you want a full blown AR style .22LR, go with the S&W 15-22. It accepts AR furniture and parts (trigger, pins, etc.).

The only thing it's missing is a dust cover.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Second on the 15-22. You can run with it stock or you can get an adapter kit that will let you change out the barrel nut and put any standard handguard on it. Also make sure you get the threaded barrel model so you can run suppressed and not have to send the barrel away to get threaded later. The Nikon p-22 rimfire scope is awesome on this thing as well.

mine will eat anything but Remington golden bullets it will even cycle on subs.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I love the hell out of my S&W 15-22. The only design flaw is the magazines are always empty!

Attachments

• IMG_20150120_195322_490.jpg
      IMG_20150120_195322_490.jpg
      233.2 KB · Views: 158

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Third for the 15-22. It is lightweight, same controls as an AR and mags are very close in size except being 25 rounders and not easily broken like the Mossberg mags. Tacticool22 makes the barrel nut to install a handguard and they also make a flush fitting handguards in different lengths. NDZ performance makes a bolt release lever that is designed to fit the slightly larger lower receiver due to being polymer.

Only ammo mine does not like are the Winchester Western

pnn9806

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Metairie
    Kriss has their dmk 22. It takes the ruger 10/22 barrels. Never tried it yet though, so I can't comment on it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For semi-auto 22 rifles, it's only a 10/22 (Ruger or variant) or S&W 15-22

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For semi-auto 22 rifles, it's only a 10/22 (Ruger or variant) or S&W 15-22

I would have to disagree unless you are talking about a dedicated semi-auto 22. The CMMG conversion kit is a good choice for getting someone familiar with a rifle. When it's time to "upgrade," a simple change gives you a 223 with a rifle the person is quite familiar with. This works well with younger shooters. My 12 year old helped me build an AR with the conversion kit. It's "hers." She picked out what she liked. When it's time to move up, there's also no need to double down on cost.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I’m thinking the S&W 15-22 will be the best option. I definitely wanna stay with the AR platform and given the weight it’s ideal.

Any spare parts I should keep on hand for the 15-22?

Last edited:

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I’m thinking the S&W 15-22 will be the best option. I definitely wanna stay with the AR platform and given the weight it ideal.

I've put over 2k rounds through my 15-22 .
    I love it , my tiny wife(5'0 135) loves it . Never had any issues , I clean mine every 500 rds.
    Hk mp5 .22 is a good time too.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x

I haven't had the first problem with mine. I did replace the stamped out extractor with a precision cut one, but I haven't noticed any difference. If you're in the Shreveport/Bossier City area you can try mine.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    When I bought my 15-22, it was one of the early ones without a muzzle break. Now I think an AR with a plain barrel sticking out looks silly. I found a piece of plastic called "Nylatron", it's very dense like Delrin mixed with graphite and used to make rollers and such, it has a nice dark grey natural color. I took the best line drawing I could find for a WWII German Tiger tank break and scaled it down. It took me a whole weekend to make on the metal lathe and milling machine, but it sure was fun. I didn't think I'd have any luck threading so I drilled and tapped for a setscrew in the bottom. The plastic machines like butter! It's about 1 3/4 wide and 3 3/4 long, and when you fire you can see the gas venting out the sides. While this was a short term "Can I make this" project, I was very surprised that it survived the first shot. I made it close to 10 years ago and have put countless rounds through it and it's still going strong. When I take it out to the range they reaction is always "That ridiculous, that's just stupid..... I want one". Of course, that was the whole point, just to have fun. It does a great job, you can't hardly feel any recoil! :rofl:

Attachments

• IMG_20150120_195236_651.jpg
      IMG_20150120_195236_651.jpg
      220.2 KB · Views: 141

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    When I bought my 15-22, it was one of the early ones without a muzzle break. Now I think an AR with a plain barrel sticking out looks silly. I found a piece of plastic called "Nylatron", it's very dense like Delrin mixed with graphite and used to make rollers and such, it has a nice dark grey natural color. I took the best line drawing I could find for a WWII German Tiger tank break and scaled it down. It took me a whole weekend to make on the metal lathe and milling machine, but it sure was fun. I didn't think I'd have any luck threading so I drilled and tapped for a setscrew in the bottom. The plastic machines like butter! It's about 1 3/4 wide and 3 3/4 long, and when you fire you can see the gas venting out the sides. While this was a short term "Can I make this" project, I was very surprised that it survived the first shot. I made it close to 10 years ago and have put countless rounds through it and it's still going strong. When I take it out to the range they reaction is always "That ridiculous, that's just stupid..... I want one". Of course, that was the whole point, just to have fun. It does a great job, you can't hardly feel any recoil! :rofl:

Pretty cool idea.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I got one of the first 15-22 that came out and mine did not have the muzzle threads. I waited many years and then I sent it off to 22Barrels.com and had them thread it for me. Took a bit to get it back as the guy that does the work is very popular but I did get it back and now it wears a suppressor when I shoot it. Love me some subsonic 15-22 goodness.

they are pretty accurate with a scope also. I have a Nikon p-22 rimfire on it and it will put a round into a 1 inch circle at 50 yds no problem first shot everytime.

When relatives or friends come over and we shoot I always bust out the 15-22 and the GSG1911 with suppressors and it is a fun time shooting cans. The GSG is nice suppressed just the clickety-clack of the slide is all you hear.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    One warning though... if you do remove the barrel nut (on the 15-22)... make sure you secure the BARREL before attempting to take off the flash hider. The barrel is only held stationary by two polymer tabs that are made of the same material as the rail, receiver, etc. If you crank on the flash hider and only secure the rail or receiver... you will break the tabs and the barrel will rotate in the receiver. You can secure it by wrenching down on the barrel nut tight enough... but it's best to just not break the tabs in the first place!

Just a note to keep in mind!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    One warning though... if you do remove the barrel nut (on the 15-22)... make sure you secure the BARREL before attempting to take off the flash hider. The barrel is only held stationary by two polymer tabs that are made of the same material as the rail, receiver, etc. If you crank on the flash hider and only secure the rail or receiver... you will break the tabs and the barrel will rotate in the receiver. You can secure it by wrenching down on the barrel nut tight enough... but it's best to just not break the tabs in the first place!

Just a note to keep in mind!

Great info. This will not get any mods at all. Just gonna add a cheap scope and shoot it till he’s ready for .223/.556.

Top Bottom