38 cartridges

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Advertising ploy, the technical term is "puffery". What sounds bigger, 36 or 38? "43 Magnum" just doesn't have the same ring as "44". What's the buller diameter of the 460 Rowland or 460 S&W? .45! It's just to make your product stand out in the market. Like when a car maker claims "Best in class" and it's the only one.

Decades ago my sister used to ride Western Pleasure. Every show she'd either get first or second place. Then I found out there were only two girls in that "class" and half of the time the other girl didn't show up.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    It goes back to the heel type bullets that were basically the same diameter as the case. Like .22 rimfire are still today. The .36 cap and ball conversions used a .375 diameter heel base cartridge which Colt carried over into their revolvers. Like my .38 Colt. The .38 Short Colt used a heel type bullet of .375 diameter and the .38 Long Colt used a Hollow Base bullet up to .360 diameter. It was expected to obturate to fill into the rifling for accuracy. Later, they simply reduced the bore diameter to .357 and discontinued heel base bullets.
    Ultimately, .38 is simply derived from rounding up .375 to .38.

Al

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    It goes back to the heel type bullets that were basically the same diameter as the case. Like .22 rimfire are still today. The .36 cap and ball conversions used a .375 diameter heel base cartridge which Colt carried over into their revolvers. Like my .38 Colt. The .38 Short Colt used a heel type bullet of .375 diameter and the .38 Long Colt used a Hollow Base bullet up to .360 diameter. It was expected to obturate to fill into the rifling for accuracy. Later, they simply reduced the bore diameter to .357 and discontinued heel base bullets.
    Ultimately, .38 is simply derived from rounding up .375 to .38.

Al

Thank you Sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If'n you want to really get confuzed, take a look at .32 caliber. I load both .311, and .314 bullets, in two different .32 caliber cartridges.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    If you really want to learn about the subject pick up a copy of " Cartridges Of The World" lots of info and history...you wouldn't believe how many different 38's have come and gone and several were the same cartridge with a different name.
    With that book handy you can become an overnight expert on the subject of cartridges, names , interchangability and history !

I bought one when I picked up a bunch of cases at the range marked "38 AMU " , this was pre computer days and I couldn't figure out what they were ...the book had the answer.
    Gary

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I picked up a bunch of cases at the range marked "38 AMU " , this was pre computer days and I couldn't figure out what they were ...the book had the answer.
    Gary

One time I picked up a good double handful of 38 AMU brass. Had them for over a decade until I ran into a guy that had one of the pistols, he gladly traded me an original live round for the brass. He would have paid a lot more, but he needed them and I didn't.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I just went through the index of "Ammo Encyclopedia" and counted 27 different cartridges with a .357 +/- bullet diameter, both rifle and pistol. This doesn't cover muzzle loaders, paper cartridges, lip fire, Thuer, Cofer, Crispin. Oh my head!

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    One time I picked up a good double handful of 38 AMU brass. Had them for over a decade until I ran into a guy that had one of the pistols, he gladly traded me an original live round for the brass. He would have paid a lot more, but he needed them and I didn't.

Neat story...the stuff we hang on to is amazing and you never know when it's going to come in handy.

Did the fellow let you shoot the AMU ? Awesome shooting target pistol , the fellow at our range let me shoot his a few times....Sweet ! He was in the Army Reserve and shot on the team...he would come and shoot with us at our weekly Bullseye matches just for practice . Wish I had one of those pistols.
    Gary

Last edited:
    Top Bottom